PDA

View Full Version : Type R Shift Linkage

**Ghost**
22-01-2005, 11:10 PM
Well heres the story...

My friend stole his dad's C240 Mercedes for the morning and we drove over to a honda dealership in Ferntree Gully to TEST a few cars... Neway i got to drive that s2000, and by god the thing that got me the most was the gear box... it felt so very different from my EK4 box...

Besides from the fact that the throw is very much shorter, i noticed that it is much more..... "accurate" so to say. Its as if each gear has a "track" to it if u know wot i mean

NOw for the proper question... Was >>MY<< gearbox ever like that? (say 135,000kms ago)?

and if not... would placing a Type R gear linkage in give me that sort of "feel"

ATSE
22-01-2005, 11:22 PM
You are exactly right. I drove a mates DC5R and the difference to my EK4 was very very different. So smooth and accurate. The DC2R shift feel is definately better than the EK4, not only the linkage, but most importantly the bushings, allowing a more accurate and precise feel. I reckon it is an excellent mod to do, because it makes everyday driving alot more enjoyable. Sometimes i find the EK4 shifting is very hard and not flowing if you know what i mean, a bit notchy. After the tranny fluid was replaced it helped ALOT, it was smoother, but didn't make the shifting more "accurate".

Sp3rMz
22-01-2005, 11:48 PM
DC2R is a very good gear box at the same time the linkage brushing short shift is very good too. But just puttin a Dc2r linkage into your ek is not going to work. You have to get the complete type R linkage kit (Hondar i believe sells the set for 350. ITs worth the change though. It wil not be the same to s2k but its the closes you can get.

hondar
23-01-2005, 01:54 AM
DC2R is a very good gear box at the same time the linkage brushing short shift is very good too. But just puttin a Dc2r linkage into your ek is not going to work. You have to get the complete type R linkage kit (Hondar i believe sells the set for 350. ITs worth the change though. It wil not be the same to s2k but its the closes you can get.

thats rite... type r shifter linkage is worth buying.. the whole kit.. like i say if the pro on the circuit stick with oem type r shifter, there must be something good about it... and if u look at spoon catalogue. they sell the shifter that look exactly like the type r shifter... :D

Limbo
23-01-2005, 08:17 PM
for the poorer people getting a normal short shifter will also help. I've jsut got the normal short shifter and i can tell ya it feels heaps better. More accurate and better feel. My ek certainly shifts better. I haven't got the type R one as yet but am looking at getting my hands on one soon. I also can't afford the ITR shifter, but the $75 shifter i got is a 100% improvement. I think that there is sellling some for $65 atm in the traders forum.... Just be careful of the exhaust and that you fix any clearance issues.

Civic Type R
24-01-2005, 03:34 PM
will the DC2 R linkage fit into an EK tho ?

hondar
24-01-2005, 07:13 PM
will the DC2 R linkage fit into an EK tho ?
yes

Civic Type R
25-01-2005, 01:07 PM
ok, and will you get that short shifter feel ?

ekslut
25-01-2005, 02:19 PM
I put a ITR shift linkage kit into my EK4. Fits straight in. I thought it made a huge difference, one of the best value mods that I did to that car. Stock shift feels loose, long and inprecise. Once I put it on, felt heaps better, felt more accurate, shorter, and a lot more solid. But I would suggest doing the bushings as well (I didn't get around to doing this, but I would reccomend it).

If you look at the 2 shift linkages together, the ITR one is heaps thicker, which is why it feels more solid and accurate, as well as feeling shorter.

Civic Type R
25-01-2005, 06:36 PM
cheers heaps ekslut !!!
:thumbsup: this is all ive been wanting to know :)

VTEChnique
27-01-2005, 11:18 AM
dayam

my new DC2-R linkage is still waiting to be installed - am waiting to borrow a mate's axle stands so I can get under my beeyotch.

Dont forget, u need the shifter as well - the EK4 shifter WILL NOT fit the type R linkage, however ALL other bitls like bushings and the shifter-plate thingy off your EK4 shifter need to be retained.

LatinoHatchCrap
27-01-2005, 11:35 AM
ITR shift linkage+ brand new polyurethane bushings= :thumbsup:

VTEChnique
31-01-2005, 10:56 AM
Linkage installed on Saturday (with assistance from KB)...

it's fkn AMAZING the difference !!
TINY tiny shift throws, super-direct feel.. perfect shift lever height.. I love it !!

everyone who tried it on the weekend was also impressed.

HONDAR > can you get any more linkage kits ? I think I can move a few more now after this !!

Sp3rMz
31-01-2005, 10:59 AM
I sold my Type R linkage and put a spoon linkage in :thumbsup: Slight difference but still a better difference ^_-

VTEChnique
31-01-2005, 12:56 PM
Spermz.. do you have any pics of the spoon linlkage before installation ?

I have the spoon catalogue at home and I couldnt pick any difference and i'd heard that Spoon actually re-sells the OEM Honda ITR linkage but I dont know that sounds dodgy.

was spoon linkage more expensive than type R ?

Sp3rMz
31-01-2005, 01:03 PM
I believe that the spoon linkage is slightly shorter then oem linkage. One of the traders sell em for 300 odd dollars. Part from that i cant tell ne difference either. oh yeah oem linkage i had was black with gold tip where spoon is fulll goldy.

VTEChnique
01-02-2005, 10:58 AM
Hmm interesting.. my ITR linkage were both all goldy bling..

type one
01-02-2005, 11:24 AM
hmmm spoon linkage is all gold in colour... my ITR linkage was all black - spoon item is definitely thicker and more direct... if you use spoon bushings as well, it is game over to the ITR shifter...

VTEChnique
01-02-2005, 11:40 AM
hmmm spoon linkage is all gold in colour... my ITR linkage was all black - spoon item is definitely thicker and more direct... if you use spoon bushings as well, it is game over to the ITR shifter...

I purchased 2 complete sets of type R linkages and shifters and bushings from HONDAR - was JDM type R.. the linkages are ALL gold and the selector rod (lower) is at least twice the thickness of non typeR shift linkages.

from what I can tell from the spoon catalogue there is no difference - and I have heard that Spoon actually re-stocks the OEM part.

What about the spoon one makes it 'game over' to the type R item ?? I seriously could not imagine it being any better. just saying GAME OVER isnt really saying anything bro - you need to say WHY or WHAT makes it better.

now I am not saying in any way that the spoon item isnt as good as OEM, but I am trying to establish what is different about it or if it actually IS the HONDA item re-badged.

By your username i assume you know all about Type One, and how it is Spoon-Sports Tuning division/workshop/R+D.. And I assume that you know that spoon doesnt manufacture many of it's own parts from scratch, rather commision quality manufacturers to supply them with their products, sometimes tailored/modified to spoon's specifications.

For example, the Braces, exhausts etc. are made by VISION TECHNICA.
The calipers and pads are by NISSIN.
Shocks and springs are by SHOWA.
Transmissions are OEM Honda Type R with revised Ratios and internals.
SW38 Rims by some Russian company (!!)..

So with Spoon supplying modified Honda Tranny's, obvioulsy they'd supply the linkages to suit the box - thus type R.

they MAY have some slight modifications - and that is what I am trying to establish.. not just "Game Over"..

Civic Type R
01-02-2005, 11:57 AM
**Adam slaps himself**

ekslut
01-02-2005, 11:59 AM
This is taken from the AJ Racing website:

The Spoon change rod is a stock Honda unit that has been stiffened and reinforced by Spoon. By making this modification to the shift linkage, there is a more solid and precise shifting feel. Highly recommended for cars older than 50,000km, as normal use over time will have weakened the metal at the end of the change rod, making shifting feel sloppy and soft.

VTEChnique
01-02-2005, 12:06 PM
thanks EKslut !! that's all I wanted a bit of an explanation more than "game over" ghetto talk ;P

adam why you injuring yourself ? HAHA

Civic Type R
01-02-2005, 12:31 PM
why?
Because i pulled out of purchasing the ITR shift linkage from Type One :(

type one
01-02-2005, 01:19 PM
sorry to disappoint you with my ghetto talk hahaha... i mustn't have made myself clear... I have used both items and this is my humble opinion...

if you read my comments prior to saying "game over" i did mention the fact that the linkage is a reinforced item

(how does a company who has been involved in motorsports for the last 30 years just take a product from Honda then simply re-badge it without adding any value to it? - do you think Honda would allow them to do this? have you even thoguht about your comment regarding the two items being the same?)

Where do ITR owners go when they have the "BEST" linkage on the market?? What can they buy to make their shift more direct??

I expect other forumers to do their own research as well... thanks ekslut for not being a lazy ass and actually checking it out for him/themselves...

I had more to say but you are an OH member and i RESPECT that... enough said.

VTEChnique
01-02-2005, 01:28 PM
I thought you were getting one Adam.. ohh well if you sell the car doesnt matter, but if you keep it, get one, will compliment your gearbox very well.

I am lazy huh ? OK.. calm down Type One.. Respect this respect that.. I said I had researched it from the Spoon 2004/05 catalogue.. Jeebus.. and yeah 'game over' is ghetto as you're not explaininf ANYTHING. if Spoon catalogue is correct and is slightly modified type R linkage.. then it's YOU who spent the $$ twice on the same item yet is 'game over' ??

hondar
01-02-2005, 01:38 PM
Linkage installed on Saturday (with assistance from KB)...

it's fkn AMAZING the difference !!
TINY tiny shift throws, super-direct feel.. perfect shift lever height.. I love it !!

everyone who tried it on the weekend was also impressed.

HONDAR > can you get any more linkage kits ? I think I can move a few more now after this !!

i am trying to bring more in... btw spoon linkage = itr linkage. i dont know if there is any different but as far as i know they are the same. i might be wrong.

but glad you like it! :D

type one
01-02-2005, 01:38 PM
it IS a slightly modified type R shift linkage... and when i was modifying my R it was nothing but the best...

why would i replace one item with the exact same thing?? ... once again pls read posts correctly... I was NOT driving an EK4/EG6 where upgrading to the R item would have proven sufficient... i was taking a good oem item and upgrading it to something better - so my my doesn't that mean it's game over?? hahahahaha....

Civic Type R
01-02-2005, 01:42 PM
why would i replace one item with the exact same thing?? .....
yeah now that wouldnt make sense at all !

If i dont sell the car then i will get one.

The Spoon shift linkage is better than the ITR one. ;)

hondar
01-02-2005, 01:42 PM
I believe that the spoon linkage is slightly shorter then oem linkage. One of the traders sell em for 300 odd dollars. Part from that i cant tell ne difference either. oh yeah oem linkage i had was black with gold tip where spoon is fulll goldy.

http://www.imgmag.org/images/hondar/typer/shift1.JPG

Complete ITR linkage comes with all GOLD, include bushings etc etc..

hondar
01-02-2005, 01:44 PM
you guys might be right that the spoon linkages might be modified. i guess if anyone has them, we can make a comparison between spoon linkage and itr linkage. i have one set with me now.

i want to know as well :)

but also not all cars is type R and thats why the reason why spoon is selling them. to cater to non-type R car who wanted to be do some upgrading. again this is my guess...

type one
01-02-2005, 01:47 PM
i have the ITR linkage sitting in my car...happy to donate it for science...

hondar
01-02-2005, 01:48 PM

i have one as well... so now we need to look for someone who has spoon linkages...

VTEChnique
01-02-2005, 01:58 PM
but also not all cars is type R and thats why the reason why spoon is selling them. to cater to non-type R car who wanted to be do some upgrading. again this is my guess...

This is why I think spoon has them in it's catalogue.

Maybe ther eis difference between AUSDM DC2-R's linkage and JDM ITR linkage.

I know there IS a difference as a friend of mine who did JDM 96 spec type R swap into EG5 had to re-cut the hole (further back) in the trans tunel (where the shifter pokes into cabin, whereas I did not as it all fitted perfectly.

does your spoon linkage have 'spoon' stamped on it or anything or is it just plain ? this is not a flame or anything type one, WE are just trying to establish for FACT if the Spoon linkage is re-badged OEM item, or a new product in it's own right.

vtir22
01-02-2005, 02:12 PM
... this is not a flame or anything type one ...

Well you certainly had me fooled. But glad to see you've cooled off.

Now we need someone to confirm Spoon linkage > ITR oem. :)

type one
01-02-2005, 02:14 PM
hahahaah i had one but it got sold off with my R...

it did not have spoon stamped on it to the best of my knowledge. I think based on this thread that the AUSDM, JDM and Spoon linkages are all different items.

VTEChnique
01-02-2005, 02:46 PM
Well you certainly had me fooled. But glad to see you've cooled off.

C'mon give me a break man !!

plus it takes 2 to tango..

Sp3rMz
01-02-2005, 05:37 PM
How bout u write up an email to both companys. HONDA and SPOON? and ask for an answer.

VTEChnique
01-02-2005, 06:04 PM
just heard from a friend looking top buy a type R linkage kit since he drove mine on weekend, HONDA quoted him $702 !!!!

definately didnt pay that from HONDAR.. Thumbs up buddy !!

Civic Type R
01-02-2005, 06:20 PM
hey ?
Do you have one still ? ;)

hondar
01-02-2005, 06:21 PM
just heard from a friend looking top buy a type R linkage kit since he drove mine on weekend, HONDA quoted him $702 !!!!

definately didnt pay that from HONDAR.. Thumbs up buddy !!

i sold it for 299.00 but i dont think i can sell it at that price anymore becos my supplier sell it to me on a clearance sale thats why i can sell on that price.

the new price will be slightly higher. but will be priced competitively.

:thumbsup:

VTEChnique
01-02-2005, 06:29 PM
was the best $300 i've spent on the car !!

KB
03-02-2005, 05:25 PM
If only It fitted D-series Cars :(

shmivic
03-02-2005, 07:27 PM
i agree its a very good mod to do damn i need some badly

Bludger
13-01-2006, 10:26 AM
I would also recomend an "J's Racing Engine Torque Damper".
It also improves the shift a little

BlitZ
25-03-2008, 02:47 PM
bump to keep alive.

I have one for sale. with the bushings.. anyone interesteD?

Dy_
06-04-2008, 09:03 PM
how much? linkage and shifter?

CB7_OWNER
11-03-2010, 12:13 AM
dayam

my new DC2-R linkage is still waiting to be installed - am waiting to borrow a mate's axle stands so I can get under my beeyotch.

Dont forget, u need the shifter as well - the EK4 shifter WILL NOT fit the type R linkage, however ALL other bitls like bushings and the shifter-plate thingy off your EK4 shifter need to be retained.

Just want to confirm , that the ITR linkages wont fit the EK4 shifter? I read somewhere else, that all shifters are interchangeable for b series...shed some light on this please someone =). thanks!