PDA

View Full Version : b18c Type-R coolant everywhere problem .....Please Help!

lsrr
27-01-2011, 12:01 AM
I went for a drive to the hills today with a few mates for a bit of spirited driving.

It was around 30 deg and I was giving the old girl a bit of a hard time but nothing stuipid.

Well after 30 mins of high-ish rev's 5-7k I noticed a coolant smell and looked down straight away to find the coolant temp up to 3/4,

I slowed right down to 90km and took it easy for a few k's till I was able to stop, the temp started going down so I stoped and lifted the bonnet up to find coolant had come out of the radiator overflow bottle all over the enigne, that was the smell.

The fans were both working and I let it idle down till it got under the 1/2 mark, I let it sit for 20 mins then took the cap off to find no pressure and topped up the radiator it took about 1 litre to fill and I filled up the overflow bottle.

on the way home I took it easy and kept an eye on the temp, it got above 1/2 so I put the heater on to help things.

well no more coolant came out and im not sure how to procced, I started it tonight and it got up to temp in like 3 mins and the fans kicked in?

I have had the water Pump and timing belt replaced last week and there was a lot of rust buildup on the impeller blades could this cause the issue?

Basicly what should I be looking at? do you think the cap is faulty? the radiator is blocked? the thermostat is blocked? both hose's were hot? or somthing worse?

I would love peoples opinions as I want to get this sorted asap

cheers

RR

hisoka
27-01-2011, 12:24 AM
you took the cap off and there was no pressure, suggests there is a leak in one of the hoses, or the cap

a pressure test can confirm this if it is the case.

most mechanics have one.

if i was you, i would just drive the car around not to far from ure house, heat it up good and find out were coolant is escaping ffrom

is there coolant build up around the top of radiator, that would almost always be the cap. the cap is no longer sealing, and its allowing coolant to go everywere

krispykreme
27-01-2011, 06:22 AM
my friend has a supercharged comodore, and one time we were in the industrials

doing a few loops, and after a few mins at high rpm we thought he busted a radiator hose

he stopped straight away and opened the bonnet as you do, and it was just coming out of overflow bottle,

he let it cool down, changed his wheels over and we were on our merry way,

it was all fine his car started to cool down straight away and it only happens when his car is getting really hot

i dont quiet know if its the same in your case but yeah its happened to him a few times and it seems to be fine

just to make sure get it checked out, tighten all your hoses n maybe get a new rad cap and just keep a eye on your temp.

Woozeh
27-01-2011, 11:59 PM
This happened on my old car, i used to drive it for 5-10 minutes and it would start to heat up, when i stopped the car the overflow bottle was empty because it had been spraying everywhere. i checked the tubes and one of them were broken so i fixed that and still no help. Then i noticed the seals underneath the radiator cap were broken so i changed that as well and it still was overheating. when i finnally decided to check the oil cap it did have creamy residue underneath so ended up being my headgasket. So just watch out for those things.

Rep if you found this helpful =]