PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a set of lights

sexy_shazam
27-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Hi Guys

So as some of you may know i recently purchased a 96 civic cxi and although i do love the car one major thing anooying me is the fact that i love a well lit road at night and the stock light bulbs sorta dont cut it.

Im looking for a set of Halogen like lights that are legal and work in the rain.

Ive read around and the three main ones recommended are

Philips x treme power

Osram Night breaker

Philips blue vision

So if anyone has any experience with any of these id love to know your opinion

thanks

androo
27-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Firstly... A few k? What kind of HID set up are you talking about? lol you can buy HID kits online for less than $100. But I see a lot of EK's driving around with HIDs and they are generally blinding.

Now with the 'white' or 'HID style' bulbs are never as bright as normal bulbs (except the Philips ones which cost more than some HID kits). When I had my EG I spent wayyy too much money on these bulbs and NONE of them where any good. I'm not sure if the Philips were brighter or the same but the rest were not very bright and just like you said, in the rain they all disappeared (including the Philips).

They do look nicer though but you are sacrificing safety for looks. Maybe get some aftermarket projectors and HIDs? You'll be happier with that and it will be easier to peoples eyes! Good luck and congrats on the car! Post pics!

sexy_shazam
27-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Firstly... A few k? What kind of HID set up are you talking about? lol you can buy HID kits online for less than $100. But I see a lot of EK's driving around with HIDs and they are generally blinding.

Now with the 'white' or 'HID style' bulbs are never as bright as normal bulbs (except the Philips ones which cost more than some HID kits). When I had my EG I spent wayyy too much money on these bulbs and NONE of them where any good. I'm not sure if the Philips were brighter or the same but the rest were not very bright and just like you said, in the rain they all disappeared (including the Philips).

They do look nicer though but you are sacrificing safety for looks. Maybe get some aftermarket projectors and HIDs? You'll be happier with that and it will be easier to peoples eyes! Good luck and congrats on the car! Post pics!

Im looking at around 4000k or just a bit higher.

I know theres plenty of brands such as philips and narva and a string of others. The reason I choose these over HIDS is because I got told that HIDS need to be profesionally fitted and balanced and all these other things to be road legal. Being a P plater I want less cops chasing me so i want something that is legal.

I do like the look of these lights but im looking for something that actually does a good job at lighting up the road then looking good.

dc292177917
27-01-2011, 11:04 PM
try this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150533297686&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

sexy_shazam
28-01-2011, 02:10 PM
try this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150533297686&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

How legal is it?

Is it any better than the philips or osram ones?

dc292177917
28-01-2011, 02:59 PM
it's in the grey area imo
coz theoretically it boosted up the voltage only
the downside is if u use some cheap globes
their lifetime might be shortened significantly
i hvn't try it personally but i heard good results
anyway, installation of HIDs is not as hard as u thought
as long as u can take yr bumper off then i can tell u u can do it
i hv HID for both my lo's and hi's and never got pulled over
lo's 4300k (factory colour temp for most HIDs)
hi's 3300k (golden yellow, i flashed an undercover cop in the city once and nth happened lol)

sexy_shazam
28-01-2011, 05:02 PM
it's in the grey area imo
coz theoretically it boosted up the voltage only
the downside is if u use some cheap globes
their lifetime might be shortened significantly
i hvn't try it personally but i heard good results
anyway, installation of HIDs is not as hard as u thought
as long as u can take yr bumper off then i can tell u u can do it
i hv HID for both my lo's and hi's and never got pulled over
lo's 4300k (factory colour temp for most HIDs)
hi's 3300k (golden yellow, i flashed an undercover cop in the city once and nth happened lol)

the thing im worried about is if i get in an accident and my insurance company sees that i havnt had these installed properly or legally then they refuse to payout.

xtnsevolution
28-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Im running Phillips Xtreme power globes in my ED6. Brilliant headlights, cant recommend enough for a simple replacement.

NightKids
29-01-2011, 04:10 PM
This would be the answer to your headlight bulb

http://store.candlepower.com/64205.html

sexy_shazam
30-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Im running Phillips Xtreme power globes in my ED6. Brilliant headlights, cant recommend enough for a simple replacement.

How long has yours been running for?

ive heared these sort of lights dont last more than a year which sorta sucks.

IANP
30-01-2011, 03:32 PM
I'm also running Phillips Xtreme and I highly recommend them for anyone who doesnt want the issues of running HID lights but want the better light quality.
Phillips Essential Vissions are also definately worth a look at, although i am unsure if they are ADR approved....

sexy_shazam
30-01-2011, 08:38 PM
I'm also running Phillips Xtreme and I highly recommend them for anyone who doesnt want the issues of running HID lights but want the better light quality.
Phillips Essential Vissions are also definately worth a look at, although i am unsure if they are ADR approved....

Thanks im gonna buy these from power bulb just wondering is the free w5w lights given are they just the philips blue vision?

Also how easy is it 2 change the bulb? I dont mind paying someone to do it for me but if its simple then theres not really a point

curtis265
30-01-2011, 09:39 PM
phillips blue vision refers to the halogen globe.. the W5W's are just wedge bulbs to give a bit of colour.

I'd recommend changing the bulb yourself - i daresay it's as simple as changing a house bulb, only difference is that u gotta plug bits in and u can't touch the bulb

sexy_shazam
30-01-2011, 10:22 PM
phillips blue vision refers to the halogen globe.. the W5W's are just wedge bulbs to give a bit of colour.

I'd recommend changing the bulb yourself - i daresay it's as simple as changing a house bulb, only difference is that u gotta plug bits in and u can't touch the bulb

Thanks for the advice really appreciate it.

Can you point me to a thread or website that shows me how to do this? A friend recommended using rubber gloves or a tissue or something just so no oil comes onto the light.

curtis265
30-01-2011, 10:51 PM
Here's a diy.

http://www.wikihow.com/Replace-a-H4-or-H9003-Headlight

You can wear gloves if you like, but i think you'll be fine - just don't touch the glass - hold it by the metal bit. You shouldn't need to muck around with the screws and all that

sexy_shazam
30-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Here's a diy.

http://www.wikihow.com/Replace-a-H4-or-H9003-Headlight

You can wear gloves if you like, but i think you'll be fine - just don't touch the glass - hold it by the metal bit. You shouldn't need to muck around with the screws and all that

Thanks but will the civic be the same?

Im a bit confused as to how I access the electrical behind the bulb? I thought all I do is remove the plastic protector remove bulb and plug back in.

dc292177917
30-01-2011, 11:14 PM
not being offensive but for ppl like OP i strongly recommend u to keep everything stock
in that case u dont need to worry abt anything
if u r going to change it to the philips xtreme
go get the job done by a certified mechanic
get the bulb engineered to yr car
by doing so i promise u wont hv any insurance issues ;)

henrygiang
30-01-2011, 11:33 PM
not being offensive but for ppl like OP i strongly recommend u to keep everything stock
in that case u dont need to worry abt anything
if u r going to change it to the philips xtreme
go get the job done by a certified mechanic
get the bulb engineered to yr car
by doing so i promise u wont hv any insurance issues ;)

since when did you need a mechanic to change a light bulb of the same type let alone get it engineered to the car? philips xtreme is a direct replacement

dc292177917
31-01-2011, 12:04 AM
since when did you need a mechanic to change a light bulb of the same type let alone get it engineered to the car? philips xtreme is a direct replacement

the thing im worried about is if i get in an accident and my insurance company sees that i havnt had these installed properly or legally then they refuse to payout.

answer is here

henrygiang
31-01-2011, 11:58 AM
answer is here

he was referring to installing those catz zeta ebay items. halogen bulbs are a direct replacement and is very simple and dont need to be engineered. if you need to take em to a mechanic to change those bulbs, GG

xtnsevolution
01-02-2011, 05:23 PM
I've had them in for 6 months so far. I had phillips power2night globes before theses ones and they lasted 18 months. they were also considerably better than the OEM globes.

tonysalib
08-02-2011, 01:11 PM
So from a legal stand point, changing just the blub to a better one like the Philips Extreme is a safer option than getting one of those aftermarket HID xenon kits?

sexy_shazam
08-02-2011, 10:56 PM
From what i was lead to believe yes.

curtis265
14-02-2011, 02:35 PM
So from a legal stand point, changing just the blub to a better one like the Philips Extreme is a safer option than getting one of those aftermarket HID xenon kits?

110% yes.

mugen_ctr
14-02-2011, 03:22 PM
just dont touch hid if u dont have projectors, as simple as that.... hid in reflective housing just doesnt work out, though, that begs the question, how come some vehicles came with Hid an still use reflectors? such as the R34 skylines... they look nice, an light up the road as good as projectors

curtis265
14-02-2011, 04:10 PM
some reflectors are designd for it (i.e. the FD civic), however the australian law just doesn't recognise it.

They are fine until you have bluer HID's which tend to glare more.

dc292177917
14-02-2011, 08:33 PM
the HID in my del sol has a very clear and sharp cut off line just like how it did with halogen globes,
it all depends on the quality of yr HID kit... cheap ones they dont hv the globe aligned properly and thats the reason of glaring.
FD's reflector has two types if i m not wrong, the ones that are designed to run with HID are from FD2R;
the ones found in audm FD1/2 are halogen types, they hv shit loads of glares once HID is installed.
i love high beaming those FD civic with HID glare, so do those fking cabs with driver side low beams adjusted up.
it feels so good to see those selfish ppl adjusting their back mirror and trying to escape from my high beam.

curtis265
15-02-2011, 11:11 AM
nah it's the same reflector. it's just the 6000k that's doing it... (as opposed to 4300k)