PDA

View Full Version : DC2R RSB on EH9

dougie_504
28-01-2011, 12:32 AM
Hey again guys,

I've checked all ten pages of results from my 'ITR rear sway bay' search and have partially answered my question but just wanted to clarify a few points.

I'm currently running DC2R LCA's for my EG6 Bilstein coilovers.

I've bought a DC2R rear sway bar with a Beaks rear subframe reinforcement kit (pictured) for a great price off a member here.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3388/3558934098_0402ca7828.jpg?v=0

I've confirmed that the endlinks are fine to use, and that the dimensions/holes on the LCA's are good to go.

The problem I had today was that I couldn't see how the reinforcement kit and RSB bolted onto the OEM 14mm RSB bracket/subframe brace.

I read in my search that it's a good idea to get the ASR or Beaks subframe kit (which mimics a DC2R subframe) to help bolt on the RSB, but I also read that you can mount the RSB with a mild OEM bracket modification.

My question are:
- What's the easiest/cheapest way to mount the DC2R RSB to my OEM subframe/brackets (if possible)? Because the DC2R RSB holes obviously don't line up with my OEM bracket holes (they're more spaced).
and
- For daily driving with mild/occasional entertainment, will the Beaks rear subframe reinforcement kit provide sufficient support? I was recently told in another thread that for daily driving I would be fine without extra subframe bracing at all.

Any info/advice/pictures would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

dorikin
28-01-2011, 01:22 AM
To use the Beaks kit you have to remove the complete 14mm swaybar including the subframe bracket. Then you need to drill out holes in the frame and knock out the captive nut inside to fit the Beaks reinforcement kit.

this should help:

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7307/dcp4762.jpg

but beware this could happen (EK)
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxzFPa6etZy3QPMmuFOJ9dbh0CJpBm4 nkggfUYJJro8jJbRtav4A&t=1

dougie_504
28-01-2011, 01:49 AM
Sounds messy! Yeah the problem I had was trying to get the beaks kit to sit flush on the subframe, because the subframe is kind of angled if you know what I mean, but is corrected by the shape of the OEM RSB bracket that allows the OEM RSB to mount flush.

Do you know where I can find more information on the hole-drilling and this captive nut?
Will it reduce the strength of my subframe significantly?
Will it prevent me from re-using my OEM 14mm RSB?
And what's the likelihood of a subframe tear?

Sorry for all the Q's. Thanks for your help.

Vvvtec
28-01-2011, 07:39 AM
I just mounted my DC2R RSB on my DC2 literally 2 days ago... However, I used an ASR kit aswell.

I'm not 100% sure if the beaks product is the same as the ASR product minus the reinforcement bar. BUT, I can tell you:

1: If the Beaks bracket is like the ASR one, you won't actually need to knock of the welded nut. As I said, I can only talk from experience with the ASR kit, but the bracket that sits inside the subframe is actually designed to accommodate the nut inside it.
2: The purpose of drilling is to clear the thread from both the subframe itself, AND the welded nut so that the mounting bolt can pass completely through.
3: Yes, once you drill that thread out, the OEM mounting bolts are rendered useless. However, this is not to say that the OEM sway + bracket can't be used again. You'll just have to reuse the backing plate as a mount for the bolts, as the subframe will no longer have thread to accommodate these bolts.
4: How do you drive? This is for your daily, right? If your not planning on taking through any nice corners with some momentum, you SHOULD be ok. Personally though, there's no point upgrading to the bigger ITR RSB if you don't plan on using it to it's full potential. IMHO I would reccommend you look into getting yourself the full ASR kit. Everything you need is included and you can have piece of mind that your subframe is reinforced. Would probably work out cheaper buying that then having to pay for repairs to a cracked/ripped/shredded subframe.

Vvvtec
28-01-2011, 07:48 AM
Also forgot to add, it's really not that messy to install. Only two holes are drilled These 2 holes are the upper mounting holes for the sway bar D-bracket. These are drilled using a 9.5pm drill bit. Just dip the tip of the drill bit in some engine oil which will keep it cool as you drill and your laughing. Took me 20 seconds to drill both holes.

Also don't forget to paint the holes once you've drilled with some primer/touch up paint, just to cover up the bare metal.

dougie_504
28-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Thanks a lot. Although it's my DD like I said I do some occasional and entertaining driving, so it will be seeing some mildly hard cornering but nothing that's considered track work. Just like when you're on the way home from work and decide to flog hard it around that corner or two if you get me.

Vvvtec
28-01-2011, 09:41 AM
I get you ;)

dorikin
28-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Sounds messy! Yeah the problem I had was trying to get the beaks kit to sit flush on the subframe, because the subframe is kind of angled if you know what I mean, but is corrected by the shape of the OEM RSB bracket that allows the OEM RSB to mount flush.

Do you know where I can find more information on the hole-drilling and this captive nut?
Will it reduce the strength of my subframe significantly?
Will it prevent me from re-using my OEM 14mm RSB?
And what's the likelihood of a subframe tear?

Sorry for all the Q's. Thanks for your help.

Yep need to remove the OEM bracket so you can use 1 part of the beaks on the outside and the other part on the inside of the frame to reinforce it... then it will sit flush

Once you have the OEM bracket off it's not hard to figure out what you need to drill, just use that pic above as a reference. The top hole is the same hole that the OEM bracket uses and the bottom hole (from memory) is a small hole for ABS bracket (for cars equipped with ABS obviously). But if you need more instructions, try emailing Beaks

From what I've read on alot of discussion boards, many people have been using the EG/DC kit for years with success. However, the first design Beaks released for the EK has been known to cause subframe tearouts; see pic above.

Vvvtec
02-02-2011, 06:50 PM
So, how did you go with this man?

dougie_504
03-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Haven't gotten around to it yet, just finished 6 days in a row at work and I've got another 7 in a row coming up. Will just have to apply the time when I get some :(

mocchi
03-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Haven't gotten around to it yet, just finished 6 days in a row at work and I've got another 7 in a row coming up. Will just have to apply the time when I get some :(

wth do you do?

dougie_504
04-02-2011, 01:03 AM
I'm a Division 1 nurse on a Neuro-Medical ward. Shift work for the loss...lots of women but :D

mocchi
04-02-2011, 06:07 AM
I'm a Division 1 nurse on a Neuro-Medical ward. Shift work for the loss...lots of women but :D

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/174/trollface.png

hehehehe
ive had troubles everytime i install rsb, dc2r ones and cusco ones.
somehow its not as easy as EK rsb. lotsa headaches with eg.
good luck man.