PDA

View Full Version : '99 Sedan - need advice on running speaker cables please **URGENT**

wixxer
28-01-2011, 07:47 AM
Hi guys,
sorry for screaming in title, but really need your help!
I'm building a sound system in a 99 civic sedan and can't find a good way to bring new speaker cables in the doors. Honda has built in a molex connector, and there is no way I could drill a hole in it to take 2x 14ga cables through that molex. I need dual cables as I'll be running 2 sets of woofers in each door.
How did you go about this problem?
Need help soon, so please come up with your experience or a good idea!!!
Thanks

trism
28-01-2011, 06:51 PM
an ek9 sedan?? thats pretty rare!!!!!!!!!!

Raztaz
28-01-2011, 07:09 PM
lol EK9 sedan.

GLi=/=TypeR

1996_EK_Civic
28-01-2011, 07:10 PM
when i put my splits in my doors (i have a coupe) we use the stock wires to power them and then cut the wires on the loom behind the headunit and then brought the amped wire to power from that.

chauster
28-01-2011, 07:21 PM
picorban

wixxer
28-01-2011, 07:58 PM
an ek9 sedan?? thats pretty rare!!!!!!!!!!

lol EK9 sedan.
GLi=/=TypeR
yeah cool, at least SOME response :eek:
sorry about ek9, was my fukup, cause I have zero idea about diff civic models :(. Teach me!!!

picorban
will upload asap, got none of the molex... or did you want some of the "ek9 sedan" :p

when i put my splits in my doors (i have a coupe) we use the stock wires to power them and then cut the wires on the loom behind the headunit and then brought the amped wire to power from that.
thanks mate, I've heard of that idea already, but I need to run 2 pairs of cables to each door. Speakers will get 300W RMS spread between them. Those tiny wires are just not good enough. :(

edit: It's actualy 3 pairs of cables: 2x from amp to x-overs (they're in the doors), then 1x back to the A-pillars where the tweeter will sit.

1996_EK_Civic
28-01-2011, 08:15 PM
well then that option won't work haha... goodluck anyway :thumbsup:

sxmachine
28-01-2011, 08:38 PM
well i had the same problem with my crx but i have sissor doors so i put the wires through the catch strap part... but u could drill a whole near the molex connector that go's to the door and put a rubber gromet in it, than feed the wires through the black cover and slice the end where the molex goes to the door and feed them through the gromet .... hope that makes sense

wixxer
28-01-2011, 09:07 PM
well i had the same problem with my crx but i have sissor doors so i put the wires through the catch strap part... but u could drill a whole near the molex connector that go's to the door and put a rubber gromet in it, than feed the wires through the black cover and slice the end where the molex goes to the door and feed them through the gromet .... hope that makes sense
Thanks mate, that does make sense :), I was also thinking about getting a second set of those rubber things (boots) and install them in, just above or under the original ones. Only problem being that I'll have to remove the fender to get to the door to drill it. And to remove the fender I need to remove side skirts... and inner mud guards... just thought there could be another, easier way...

@ 1996_EK_Civic: Thanks for good luck ;), I'll do what needs to be done :)

OBS355
28-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Sorry I don't have a solution to your problem wixxer but I do know EXACTLY whay you are referring to.

I am in the process of hooking up keyless entry to my 95' EK1 sedan and need to run 2 wires into the drivers door to power the lock actuator.

Until this morning I was under the impression that the Civic was just like any other jap car I have owned or worked on where the loom of wires runs from inside the cabin through a rubber sheath and then into the doors, but like you have discovered this morning that there is a molex connector plugging the wires into the door.

I will be watching this thread for suggestions as well, but the best I can come up with that I am thinking of doing with my wires is similar to what sxmachine suggests - drilling a hole (dunno how without taking the door off!) into the door and into the cabin and running a whole seperate wiring loom line through on its own.

sxmachine
28-01-2011, 10:54 PM
Just take the doors off 4 12 mm bolt from the hinge to the door, plus the strap catch pin tap it up to get it out ... It's the easiest way not hard to line the door back up

wixxer
29-01-2011, 08:00 AM
Just take the doors off 4 12 mm bolt from the hinge to the door, plus the strap catch pin tap it up to get it out ... It's the easiest way not hard to line the door back up

That's a good idea mate, thanks for that, I reckon I'll do it that way. Just have to double check the strap. Will do it that way, definitely :)

sxmachine
29-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Nws mate glad I could help