PDA

View Full Version : EK Civic doors

stevo1210
28-01-2011, 05:09 PM
My brother's Honda Civic EK was vandalized last night whilst parked on the street (as with a few others parked on my street).
Both drivers and right rear passengers doors were kicked inwards. I took it to a panel beater and I was told that we will need two doors... but here's the problem... no wreckers in my area have the doors for the sedan model (only need a door shell)... they only have doors for the hatch versions.
I found one wrecker out west but they want $1200 for two door shells... is that a correct figure for two doors? otherwise I'm calling this a write off as it will cost me at least $2000 with labour costs and resprays etc... and my cars only worth about 3K. O.o
I've also been told that I will need to respray the whole car thanks to these two doors as the colour won't match. The panel beater said that's going to cost me at least another $1K.

Thanks.

markismaximus
28-01-2011, 05:15 PM
does your bro have comp insurance? tell that wrecker he's dreaming, $1200 for two doors....

Chriskoss
28-01-2011, 06:18 PM
dont think hed have comprehensive on an ek civic. Wouldn't be worth it.
Just keep looking for the 2 doors/ doorskins. You'll surely find something sooner or later. Would be a bonus to find the same colour doors aswell. Even if you don't you can get just the doors resprayed but it wont be a 100 percent match, and it all depends how fussy you are

stevo1210
28-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Nope, no comprehensive on that car... just the plain 'ol third party cover so we can't really claim anyone. Now for the doorskins... how much would we say is a reasonable price for two doors?

As for paint, how much difference do we expect to see if just the two doors are resprayed? I recently got the front bumper of my corolla resprayed and you can only see the difference if you shine an ultra bright light at it. If it's like that then we don't mind... however would giving the old paint a really good cut and polish by the professionals allow the paint to match "better"?

mocchi
28-01-2011, 06:30 PM
i see ppl selling eg doors for $20-50 each.
EK sedan shouldnt be much more expensive.

stevo1210
28-01-2011, 06:53 PM
I was also going to ask... say I did find a door that was different in colour (most likely) then would I get this door resprayed before putting it onto the car or put it onto the car then get it resprayed? I see option one to be more logical, but then again I'm not in the panel beating trade lol.

mocchi
28-01-2011, 06:55 PM
depends on your panel beater/painter.
some are lazy and dont remove door from car.

munkaii
28-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Have a look at hontoys mate,

Picked up 2 EK Sedan Doors complete for $450 a while back.

Try find the same colour, if not to spray 2 doors + blending will cost 5-600 + easily.

stevo1210
28-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Have a look at hontoys mate,

Picked up 2 EK Sedan Doors complete for $450 a while back.

Try find the same colour, if not to spray 2 doors + blending will cost 5-600 + easily.

Now that 5-600 sounds very reasonable! Where is Hontoys located? we might drop in to take a look I suppose.

munkaii
28-01-2011, 08:38 PM
5-600 I would assume if you just brought in clean doors and got them to spray it your colour, maybe colour matching. If they need repair work then you are looking at at least 1k. Google for hontoys location, should be in smithfield.

stevo1210
28-01-2011, 10:25 PM
5-600 I would assume if you just brought in clean doors and got them to spray it your colour, maybe colour matching. If they need repair work then you are looking at at least 1k. Google for hontoys location, should be in smithfield.

I was talking to a family friend who works in the painting industry... apparently I can send one of the busted doors off and they can tint match it? if this is true then I'm jumping for joy. :)

stevo1210
29-01-2011, 01:53 PM
I also have a question about another repair which will probably need to be carried out. It was on there the day my brother got the car so we've learnt to live with it... the A-pillar seems to be hammered inwards? or maybe a brick has fallen on it?
It's just the outer skin that's bent inwards, the A-pillar frame is still nice and straight... can this damage be fixed or not?

da12nv
29-01-2011, 04:36 PM
yeah the pillar can be fixed but the windscreen would have to be removed to do it, also with the doors you would only end up painting the side of the car not respraying the car all they would do is blend the gaurd and quarter pannel and that would probly depending where you go cost $800-$1000

munkaii
29-01-2011, 05:45 PM
As above with the a-pillar. Maybe worth it to leave it? If you don't want to lug the door there, you can take off the petrol lid and take that to the painters to match the colour. Make sure you look @ the colour in the shop and then take it out to the sun as well.

say_wat
31-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Perhaps just bog and paint it mate. Cheaper and simpler.

Alvis
01-02-2011, 08:42 PM
wow, that's a nasty one - do you get water through there?

oocus
01-02-2011, 09:06 PM
gday mate, prices seem expensive but everywhere is different. when you get doors do not fit them, get them painted first because the insides of the doors must be painted as well, panel beater will charge you to remove t hem and then charge you again to refit it. if you bring the fuel flap with you this is all they should need to match the color, as well as the paint code, which in hondas is in the passenger door frame. blending was spoken about, to do that they will need the car and the blend will be in the rear quater and the front guard. i would not do this. colors can be matched. cost would be close to $600-$700. blending maybe $1000. i am spray painter, left painting full time 7 years ago. tha a pillar could be pulled out or just filled. i have 2 ek doors in dark green but they are from a coupe. cheers

stevo1210
18-02-2011, 11:34 PM
Just an update. My brother managed to snag some doors off one of his friends who wrote off thier EK after driving it into a... tree. This EK was also the same colour. We put the doors over and there is a little paint colour difference but it's no a biggie.

As for the A-pillar... I don't know if water comes through there or not, but I do know that the last owner used a pile of sillicone in there. I want to get that A-pillar fixed some day. As with the rear quarter bit where my brother scraped a pole.