PDA

View Full Version : B18c or B16a into EG civic

fusion_VTi
07-12-2003, 02:57 PM
hey guys just wondering what would everyone do in this situation. my current motor D16Y8 makes around 96kW and for an extra few thousand i can put in a B16a which makes 118kW. can it be justtified spending a sh*tload of money for only 22kw gain? does it cost heaps more for an ITR motor, what are your thoughts on this particular engine swap?

[[d a n n y]]
07-12-2003, 03:01 PM
b18c is betta but insurance that's why i am going b16a

ITR front cut ur looking at about 6-8's

Bumble B
07-12-2003, 03:24 PM
I guess you would FEEL the difference between those engines and be greatly satisfied, more so than seeing 22kw more on paper. The B16A is DOHC and the proper VTEC compared to your current engine.

Hope that makes sense!

A'PEXi
08-12-2003, 05:43 PM
yeh you will hear and feel the vtec a bit more in the b16a... apart from that, it is also modifyable in n/a form or fi form if you are looking for more gains.. more reliable then the d16y8 i would say... and yes the itr motor does cost more, goodluck on finding one :P

EG5
14-12-2003, 08:41 PM
i prefer b16a gen 2 from JDM eg6 sirII.
170hp ;)
i dont like b18c mainly because of the intake manifold design.
b18c from iTR is perfect ;)

Setanta
14-12-2003, 08:52 PM
I dunno about feeling the VTEC - I feel it in spunkymunky's VTiR when she opens it up - more so than in my SiR w/B16A.

2ds
14-12-2003, 09:48 PM
I dunno about feeling the VTEC - I feel it in spunkymunky's VTiR when she opens it up - more so than in my SiR w/B16A.

you allways feel it more when you are the passanger.

i say go the b16a not the b18c so very very much cheaper

-2ds

luzinit
14-12-2003, 10:21 PM
true! when i drive i dun even feel much, just hear.. but my passengers are always surprised that my red girly civic actually goes..
infact i have convinced one of them from buying a wrx, to getting a vtec honda :P ahha (not solely based on performance of course but other desireable factors such as insruance blah blah)

ALLMTR
15-12-2003, 02:26 AM
I could hear something when mine came onto VTEC in second. It was wheelspin :)

Setanta
15-12-2003, 05:51 AM
2ds: I doubt it has anything to do with being passenger at all somehow. The only difference is it's more linear with a B18C - but it certainly puts out better power than a B16A initially - and the same mods are available for each.

LOL Chuck - wa that back in the days of the "toggle switch" VTEC? :p God knows what its going to be like with the new monster in it ;)

eknine
15-12-2003, 09:01 AM
no one mentioned that n/a power is gonna be cheap....:( dollar for dollar, n/a power is still not as comparable to tubocharging....but what the heck, i love n/a:)

Mr delSol
18-12-2003, 03:23 PM
need engineer certificate if you go for the B18, plus a lot more $$$$
if you go for B16B keep it stock, if B16A then you can use the money difference to do some internal work, eg mugen spec head, then you will get the same power as the Type R.

I think it is best to keep it n/a, if you want a turbo engine, buy a turbo car.
Rebuilt your engine ain't gonna be cheap

Spunkymonkey
18-12-2003, 03:46 PM
Pete you talking about me again ;)

Well..I would go the b18c...if you can source one....

the ITR motor will set you back probably too much $$$ but if you can source a b18c2 motor it would be good....

the b16a will be the cheapest option...however the sedan isn't exactly light...

my uncle put the b16a into his concerto, and while it was better than the stock motor, still not enough for him, so he's putting a frankenstein in.

Setanta
18-12-2003, 07:53 PM
You'll need an engineer's cert for either a B16 or B18 Mr delSol.

Lol Quyen - I'd never notice you going in out of VTEC... you're always into it :P:P:P

BTW - cruise/coffee when I get back from Vic maybe?

mo
19-12-2003, 12:02 AM
i'm not sure if this is true but someone i know who has personally done a transplant said you don't need cert for either b16a or b18c as long as they were sold locally i.e. not got via importing.

but i guess if you want quick drop in and drive, then b16a is your engine

Setanta
19-12-2003, 06:16 AM
It's only if the mounts need changing - the RTA has a run down on it although there are qualifiers including increased displacement, increased power, turbocharged engines etc. You are also expected to modify drivetrain and braking to match the specs of the doner car - failure to do so can result in civil actions ans well as voiding of insurance.

mo
19-12-2003, 11:16 AM
Oh ok! Thanks for that Pete!!

Setanta
19-12-2003, 02:45 PM
Oh - I forgot to mention - you will be required to have the engine inspected by the RTA - if they think there are issues then it goes to an engineer. The inspector has leeway to ensure that if they deem it necessary.

Choongas
19-12-2003, 07:03 PM
my mate did a 4age conversion into a sprinter a while back, he used to have the 4ac, but since they share the same block, he didnt have to take it to the RTA...

whats the deal with swapping transmissions?

anyone know?

LatinoHatchCrap
20-12-2003, 10:21 AM
The b16a is a nice motor but IMO if you're doin' the swap into an EG or EF hatch you'll find a mighty difference in weight/power ratio. It has the same torque figures as its SOHC cousins so dont expect much under the 3500rpm range...dont be fooled this is a top end motor so you have to rev the shit out of it :)

The b18c2 (teggy VTIR) is a superior motor simply starting with the extra 28lbs of torque it comes with...power is delivered more smoothly and the responsiveness of your car changes completely. There seems to be enough power on tap even below the 3500 rpm range.

The b18c7 (teggy type-arrrggghhh!!) is the best you can get...dont listen to people too much...they're easier to find than most people think and we're talkin about value for money here. those extra couple of thousand extar you could spend on a better motor WILL BE NOTICIBLE.

IMO by the time you buy a b16a and get I/H/E and do some headwork you could already have saved up to buy a b18c2 swap. Get wot yo want man but you know that eventually you will want more power and IMO you'll soon be ready for more after buying a b16a 8) you get wot you pay for man so expect more if you get more

my $.02...