PDA

View Full Version : DC5S FHRX Install

D R U
31-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Just wanted to post up my install from FHRX, big props to Marty and the guys there, i cant recommend them enough. I've had a few installs done on a few different cars and the quality of work and attention to detail at FHRX is second to none.
Marty really knows his stuff, and he won't try to bullshit and up-sell you.

I just recently had the gear run in and my DSP re-tuned and it sounds amazing!
Everything is so smooth and balanced..

Running gear:
HU: Alpine 9855R
Amp: Audison LRX 5.1k
Front: Crescendo Opus 8.6 (6.8” & 1” component set)
Sub: Crescendo Etude2.10 (10” subwoofer)
DSP: Alpine PXA-H700

Headunit
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd282/druhuynh/deck_final_in_situ_1.jpg

Doors
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd282/druhuynh/door_ps_complete_1.jpg

Tweeter
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd282/druhuynh/tweeter_ps_in_situ_2.jpg

Sound deadend boot floor
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd282/druhuynh/boot_deadening_1.jpg

Sub box & Amp
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd282/druhuynh/enclosure_in_situ_3.jpg

Fake floor in place
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd282/druhuynh/boot_complete_with_seats_in_situ_3.jpg

Cable runs
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd282/druhuynh/cable_run_16.jpg

Fuse holder and grounding
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd282/druhuynh/battery_overview_final_1.jpg

tron07
01-02-2011, 08:54 AM
I would had put plastic wiring loom over the 4guage power cable in the engine compartment as well as the rest of the cabling.... but that's me... nice job though. I have been there a few times myself, but didnt install anything.

Mind PM me the damage to your wallet?

slimx
04-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Does the tweeter actually sound good up on the dash near the window never really tried it there??

arverson
05-02-2011, 09:24 AM
simple & stealth install with quality gear. love my lrx amps too. is your lrx running the 8.6's active+sub or powering fronts, rears & sub? fhrx need to open up a store in melb!

slimx: different drivers, different setups, different processing/eq'ing, different positions, different car acoustics.. theres no 'one best'. if the op likes it then it works for him.

having said that ive found, in general, that crescendo tweeters sounds best on-axis. theres no right or wrong tho. dru, what was the reasoning behind the driver placement? simply replacing the stock tweeter for an easier & cheaper install? didnt wanna mess with the a-pillars or kicks (for stealth or keeping vision/funtionality reasons)? being able to return to the stock interior for resale purposes?

HU: Alpine 9855R - gettng old. $200 or thereabouts
Amp: Audison LRX 5.1k - $2000
Front: Crescendo Opus 8.6 (6.8” & 1” component set) - $6-700
Sub: Crescendo Etude2.10 (10” subwoofer) - $2-250
DSP: Alpine PXA-H700 - a couple generations old. go for a few hundred these days. pxa h800 is coming out soon.. any plans on upgrading to that dru? the slot below the 9855 would house a RUX-controller nicely.. just sayin hehehehe
*then include a package deal/discount on the above
*install including bulk pack of dynamat & all wiring. $1000. give or take a bit.
am i way off the mark here?
hope this doesnt bother you. ill remove if you want.

munkaii
06-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Also want to know where the best tweeter location is. Previous owner mounted it on the trip and it faces away from the seats so sounds like junk. Thinking of relocating it to the window but not sure if it will be any better.

D R U
09-02-2011, 10:40 AM
Does the tweeter actually sound good up on the dash near the window never really tried it there??
Yeah, the tweeter sounds good in that position, the sound reflects off the glass and gives you a pretty good image.

simple & stealth install with quality gear. love my lrx amps too. is your lrx running the 8.6's active+sub or powering fronts, rears & sub? fhrx need to open up a store in melb!

slimx: different drivers, different setups, different processing/eq'ing, different positions, different car acoustics.. theres no 'one best'. if the op likes it then it works for him.

having said that ive found, in general, that crescendo tweeters sounds best on-axis. theres no right or wrong tho. dru, what was the reasoning behind the driver placement? simply replacing the stock tweeter for an easier & cheaper install? didnt wanna mess with the a-pillars or kicks (for stealth or keeping vision/funtionality reasons)? being able to return to the stock interior for resale purposes?

HU: Alpine 9855R - gettng old. $200 or thereabouts
Amp: Audison LRX 5.1k - $2000
Front: Crescendo Opus 8.6 (6.8” & 1” component set) - $6-700
Sub: Crescendo Etude2.10 (10” subwoofer) - $2-250
DSP: Alpine PXA-H700 - a couple generations old. go for a few hundred these days. pxa h800 is coming out soon.. any plans on upgrading to that dru? the slot below the 9855 would house a RUX-controller nicely.. just sayin hehehehe
*then include a package deal/discount on the above
*install including bulk pack of dynamat & all wiring. $1000. give or take a bit.
am i way off the mark here?
hope this doesnt bother you. ill remove if you want.
All good bro, prices on components are close, installation was quite a bit more.
Tweeter location was chosen for ease of install/ stealth/ cost.

Planning to upgrade to the BitOne and also a new HU with optical output, but this will be some time down the track.

Originally i planned to put the RUX controller under the headunit, but the display of the RUX is quite dated now and doesn't match the HU.

Also want to know where the best tweeter location is. Previous owner mounted it on the trip and it faces away from the seats so sounds like junk. Thinking of relocating it to the window but not sure if it will be any better.

Speaker positioning in a car is full of compromise. There is limited space you have to work with. This is the reason i got a DSP, so i had the option of time alignment.
If i didn't have the time alignment option i would place the tweeter close to the mid (i.e, kick panel or mounted coaxially), this way the sound from the tweeter and the sound from the mid arrives at your ears at the same time, so you get the full range.

Not sure if that is the "right" way to do it, but that's how i would do it.

arverson
10-02-2011, 04:09 PM
ah crap noticed you mentioned an etude 2.10, not 1.10, so make that guess about $350. and all up id say the budget was 5-6 G?

anyway, carry on.

DC5TYPER
12-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Tower audio can do install like that. I can too. 7 years and counting.... Problem is Melb ppl dont want to spend the $$$$ like people do in NSW and QLD.

NightKids
13-02-2011, 10:57 AM
So what happens when your tyros get punctured ?

r3ckless
13-02-2011, 11:10 AM
You wouldnt think a audio installation business would allow their passengers to take out the spare wheel for an audio installation..... Dont they have a duty of care?

Oh well, looks like they did atop notch installation :)

arverson
14-02-2011, 08:17 PM
Tower audio can do install like that. I can too. 7 years and counting.... Problem is Melb ppl dont want to spend the $$$$ like people do in NSW and QLD.

many places could. fairly basic install to be honest. but yer i agree with 'ppl dont want to spend the $$$$', car audio is too niche. not a lot of people are interested in the finer side of sq, or - god-fobid - spl.

You wouldnt think a audio installation business would allow their passengers to take out the spare wheel for an audio installation..... Dont they have a duty of care?

im sure the crew wouldve talked to dru bout that. or dru gave permission himself and said its fine. not like he wouldve drove in, then came out not knowing the spares missing.. right dru? fhrx are better with customer service than that.

tron07
15-02-2011, 04:06 PM
most of the time its the owner who ask for the spare to be removed.

D R U
16-02-2011, 06:11 PM
many places could. fairly basic install to be honest. but yer i agree with 'ppl dont want to spend the $$$$', car audio is too niche. not a lot of people are interested in the finer side of sq, or - god-fobid - spl.

im sure the crew wouldve talked to dru bout that. or dru gave permission himself and said its fine. not like he wouldve drove in, then came out not knowing the spares missing.. right dru? fhrx are better with customer service than that.

most of the time its the owner who ask for the spare to be removed.

Yep you guys are right, i told them i wanted the spare removed and the amp/sub to be mounted in the wheel well.

Fhrx
20-02-2011, 06:34 AM
Guys; all systems are thoroughly planned with the owners before we undertaking them - this includes where things will be mounted and what OEM parts will be displaced in order to fit equipment in. We most certainly don't just return the car to the owner missing a spare tire. Seriously... Then consider how often you get a flat (I've got one in the last ten years) - can you really not ring someone to bring you another one if you're stranded? Hell, ring us and we'll bring you one no matter what time of the day or night it is. If worst comes to worst and you have to drive interstate or something similar, wrap the spare up in a blanket and put it in the boot.

On the matter of the tweeters; they sound fine up there as we take the physics of the car into account when planning the system - once one understands the laws of physics one can work with them, rather than against them. Remember also that he's running a serious processor which allows us to use time alignment to bring the image to the centre of the dash. When tuned correctly you shouldn't be able to hear where any sytems speakers are actually mounted. You should just hear the music's stage and image as the artist intended. ;)