PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing advice for a new Civic Si

nelga
31-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a sweet hatch, and came across the Honda Civic Si L (leather). It's a great car to drive, and love the look, but I've never had much to do with Honda*–*and so hoped I could ask you all for some assistance? I'll just pop them in numbered questions to make it easier.

1. How long has the Civic Si been available? Is it nearing the end of it's lifecycle in the current shape/interior?
2. How is the audio? I test drove, but forgot to check the sound system.
3. Is the honda bluetooth system worth installing?
4. Do you miss not having the paddles / tiptronic like other similarly priced hatches?
5. Is there anything else I should know or check before jumping in?

I've talked to two dealerships, and the best i've had so far is the following:

NSW: New MY10 Honda Civic Si L (leather/luxury) in Crystal Black (on the lot - ready to go).
- Automatic transmission
- Drive-away price (on road costs)
- Premium Plates
- Tinted Windows
- Floor Mats
For $33,000

Do you think it can be pushed a little harder? Or is that deal about as far as it can go?

Many thanks for any help in advance :)

didier
31-01-2011, 05:56 PM
I'm no expert on Si's, but theyve been around since 2007 i think.

If you like they're styling, maybe you should wait until new base model near end of this year - the styling will continue to be adopted from the SI, I've read, particularly the front. (honestly the SI is for the most part probably not different from all the other much cheaper models)

Bluetooth I guess is good if you already use it alot. Sound system should be fine, nothing special.

The price you're looking at - not special IMO, should be able to get at least 4k off (you're currently down about 2k off retail). 6k off is possible, putting you near 29k, but not likely. Just tell them you can get it cheaper elsewhere, and around the highest price your willing to pay.

Personally I'm in the market for a new VTI during february, despite a new model probably coming out in less that twelve months.

New model will be say 10% more fuel efficient I've read, but the typical styling is overall the same - front looks better, back looks worse. I'm not bothering to wait because I presume a new model will make it several thousand more expensive.

curtis265
31-01-2011, 06:10 PM
33 for a si? that's cheap! I thought si's were the same price as type R's?

tiptronic is gimmicky bullcrap IMO, if u want to drive manual, drive manual

nelga
31-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Hey again,

Yeah the first dealer wouldn't budge below 37,000 with a wait till March. The second kept dropping the price until 33,000... but I'm just not sure if he went all the way down.

I think RRP is 38,500 or so.. Which seems way overpriced, but still its a nice looking car.

didier
31-01-2011, 06:35 PM
http://hondanorth.com.au/newcars-honda.php?PHPSESSID=6a51eaf80cb61b9d3a5158849f14d3 21

nelga
31-01-2011, 06:44 PM
http://hondanorth.com.au/newcars-honda.php?PHPSESSID=6a51eaf80cb61b9d3a5158849f14d3 21

Are these the 'Driveaway' prices? Cause they differ quite sharply from those on the official honda site (2000 postcode): http://civicsi.honda.com.au/range-pricing.aspx

SuperJDM.
31-01-2011, 06:48 PM
33 for a si? that's cheap! I thought si's were the same price as type R's?

tiptronic is gimmicky bullcrap IMO, if u want to drive manual, drive manual

wow an si is the same price as a Type R?

who would want a si over a type r lol

curtis265
31-01-2011, 06:54 PM
leather, sunroof, 5 doors, automatic. It makes no sense to me either, but i'm still fast and furious.

oh and it's got low RPM torque.

they were type r price when they came out in aus.

didier
31-01-2011, 06:57 PM
yeap, they fit with their ongoing advertised price through their weekly ad. honda north are a bit cheaper than honda civic website, although now I think the honda website is now also just long out of date.

nelga
31-01-2011, 06:59 PM
leather, sunroof, 5 doors, automatic. It makes no sense to me either, but i'm still fast and furious.

oh and it's got low RPM torque.

they were type r price when they came out in aus.

Yeah the 5 doors and heated leather seats are great, but unfortunately there's no sunroof option. Almost the dealbreaker for me when the mazda3 sp25 guys were throwing it in (along with 10speaker bose audio & leather) for the same price as the civic si

SuperJDM.
31-01-2011, 07:00 PM
yeap, they fit with their ongoing advertised price through their weekly ad. honda north are a bit cheaper than honda civic website, although now I think the honda website is now also just long out of date.

you really just gotta look around.

my mums 09 Civic sport was 39 RRP went to 4 different dealers and none would go below that.

Came across one and got it for 34k. Now i regret forcing her into getting it lol could of gotten a Euro instead

nelga
31-01-2011, 07:04 PM
you really just gotta look around.

my mums 09 Civic sport was 39 RRP went to 4 different dealers and none would go below that.

Came across one and got it for 34k. Now i regret forcing her into getting it lol could of gotten a Euro instead

Are you just not impressed with the car? The Euro is nice too, but the Civic has the sharper looks methinks... I'll definitely call around and try to get that price beaten. I'm sure it can be done, however I heard it was expensive because they were being made in the UK - and the exhange rate really screwed their ability to deliver an affordable car

SuperJDM.
31-01-2011, 07:13 PM
TBH 34k is just wayyyyyyyyy to much for a civic.
Seats feel like crap, car handles like crap, also looks like crap now lol.
theres just nothing WOW! about it you know.

With the euro you got electric steering. Much better ride, much better seats etc etc. Just worth paying that little more for a euro.

curtis265
31-01-2011, 07:45 PM
u haven't tried the FK civic though

nelga
31-01-2011, 08:25 PM
TBH 34k is just wayyyyyyyyy to much for a civic.
Seats feel like crap, car handles like crap, also looks like crap now lol.
theres just nothing WOW! about it you know.

With the euro you got electric steering. Much better ride, much better seats etc etc. Just worth paying that little more for a euro.

Are you referring to the 2010 Civic Si? The steering seemed fine for me. I'm pretty sure it's electric too. Seats were quite nice and roomy too, with kickup sides.

I think i'm just most worried that it's going to be transitioned to 9th Gen later in the year... and that the design will change before i've had time to enjoy it. But then again, it's hard to know when that'll happen too. It's also a real downer that there's no sunroof or satnav. Which is weird considering it is clearly visible in this Top Gear video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1nCp8yjsyY&feature=related

aero
31-01-2011, 10:09 PM
its a lot of money for an r18 lol. but if ur not worried about performance, than i guess it wont deter u... there are some good competitors tho. vw golf, mazda 3 sp25 give them all a look or a try before u commit.

SuperJDM.
31-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Are you referring to the 2010 Civic Si? The steering seemed fine for me. I'm pretty sure it's electric too. Seats were quite nice and roomy too, with kickup sides.

I think i'm just most worried that it's going to be transitioned to 9th Gen later in the year... and that the design will change before i've had time to enjoy it. But then again, it's hard to know when that'll happen too. It's also a real downer that there's no sunroof or satnav. Which is weird considering it is clearly visible in this Top Gear video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1nCp8yjsyY&feature=related

"my mums 09 Civic sport was 39 RRP went to 4 different dealers and none would go below that."

AKA FD2

curtis265
01-02-2011, 01:02 AM
Yes, and OP is talking about the FK2 civic

jasonchow
01-02-2011, 06:58 AM
buy a white 1

SuperJDM.
01-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Yes, and OP is talking about the FK2 civic

lol read my 1st and 2nd post then youll understand