PDA

View Full Version : RB1 05 - strange noise *like super charger or straight cut gears*

2k1cvc
03-02-2011, 01:36 PM
This may sound like a similar thread posted by Alonso however mine is coming from elsewhere
Basically I’ve been having a whining like noise (sounds almost like straight cut gears or super charger) when I accelerate

It is on and off so doesn’t happen all the time however its been starting to come on more than before.
Car has done just over 120k so could this contribute to the problem?
The noise is also adamant when sitting in [P]ark and I give it a little rev
Any of you guys ever experienced this?

Any comments will be great J

AusAccord
03-02-2011, 03:20 PM
hmmm..... sounds silly but noise from speakers? have you change aftermarket headunits? frequency noise is exactly like a supercharger noise esp when you are saying sitting in "P" with little rev happens.

2k1cvc
04-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Nah def not speakers or anything like that... stuck my head out the window and could here it :(

tomfeng1985
08-02-2011, 08:09 PM
:D just take off the engine drive belt, and start the engine, see if noise goes away, but don't let the engine run for long time as the water pump won't work without the drive belt.
if the noise goes away, then it should be one of the accessories, p/s pump, A/C compressor pulley,idler bearings, tensioner bearing, water pump~~
good luck!

Zilli
10-02-2011, 07:50 AM
^ i wouldnt recommend doing that yourself...

it could be alternator bearings. get it looked at mate... does the pitch fluctute (rise) with engine RPM?

2k1cvc
22-02-2011, 07:39 PM
^ i wouldnt recommend doing that yourself...

it could be alternator bearings. get it looked at mate... does the pitch fluctute (rise) with engine RPM?

Thanks, yes pitch follows the engine revs (so yes it rises)