PDA

View Full Version : Just got me a Ej8 and have a few questions...

krovikan
03-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Hi all... im back to a Honda (used to own a 89" integra import w/B16A)

Anyways ill b to the point... there is a few mods im looking at and hav done searches n not been able to answer all my questions, so any help would be appreciated...

car: 1996 Civic VTi Coupe manual (d16y)

-Need a boss kit for new steering wheel (the OEM one is heat damaged n needs to b replaced)... got one from Super Cheep and it didnt fit... they use autotecnica... but autotecnicaonly have ones for 92-96 and a 97 onwards (without airbag)... i hav a 96" and the 92-96 dosnt fit... which one do i get???

-Ppl talk about using Dc2r springs... i was gonna get budget ciolovers but ppl say the Dc2r springs/shocks r better... r they just bolt on??? being different chassis??? I want the lowered look, a firmer ride and better handling and am happy to spend around $1000 + tuning. Opninions welcome

Thanx,
Chris

mugen_ctr
03-02-2011, 02:08 PM
the 92-96 must be for eg civic, 96 - 00 is the ek, thats what u should be looking for, all ek use the same boss kit

Dc2r rear shocks wont fit, since they use a different setup, eyelet an ek uses forks, better off getting coil-over for that budget, something with soft spring rates like f8 r6 will be nice, an height adjustable

krovikan
03-02-2011, 02:37 PM
FFS... jsut got off the phone with autotecnica... there is no boss kit cauz it is illegal to remove the airbag or to install a aftermarket steering wheel on a car with an airbag... the guy said that it wont fit because of the air bag assemble... however, that just screwes off... do u reckon the EK one will fit still???

thanx

fotgot to mention... the interior of the car has had some heat damage n the current steering wheel is in pretty bad shape... n i dont wanna spend a ridiculous amount of $$$ replacing it with an OEM one

mugen_ctr
03-02-2011, 02:44 PM
correct, it is illegal to remove a airbag, but how can the air bag assembly get in the way :S, the whole air bag system is integrated into the steering wheel, so really, if u where to take it off, an fit a boss kit, it will work

Any ek boss kit will fit fine, some ek's didnt come with airbags if im not mistaken, so i dont see why not

dc292177917
03-02-2011, 11:05 PM
get a CTR wheel is u want a better steering wheel;
get coilovers, i know there's a set of tein SS for EKs for sale, check it out yrself.

TheSaint
04-02-2011, 10:33 AM
most people that fit boss kits forego the safety of an airbag
i was always avoiding it until i realised my car didnt have an airbag anway - so i installed one

i wouldnt bother with the Dc2 springs - get a good strut/spring combo or coilovers
theres heaps of good finds in the for sale section on here that are cheap
or for a mild and cheap upgrade get skunk2 sport shocks and tein s-tech springs

the d16y8 is the best possible D series engine and gearbox there is before going up to a B series
if you dont have a rear sway bar it might be advantageous to get a stock 14mm kit installed as well

blastnpast
04-02-2011, 11:19 AM
IMO If your looking for into tein springs don't settle for the SS and spend that little extra for the next range up I run the street type flex which are the next series and they are comfy enough for a daily

TheSaint
04-02-2011, 05:05 PM
hrm flex wer too much for a daily for me - both too stiff and over kill for my daily

as a track set though - they are amazing

blastnpast
04-02-2011, 05:28 PM
hrm flex wer too much for a daily for me - both too stiff and over kill for my daily

as a track set though - they are amazing

I love the flex's spring rate :) I am still yet to tighten to damper and let her rip haha

TheSaint
04-02-2011, 06:15 PM
lol - i tested them out in a GSI and they were way stiff - i loved it but it made my ass hurt lol

blastnpast
04-02-2011, 06:52 PM
lol - i tested them out in a GSI and they were way stiff - i loved it but it made my ass hurt lol

Lollol recaros save that problem cuz!