PDA

View Full Version : obd1 to obd2

oocus
05-02-2011, 06:09 AM
excuse the ignorance, what is obd1, obd2? what are the dfferences? i have taken out d15z1(obd1 i think) and i am going to install d16y4(obd2 i think), is this possible? what do i have to change? why are all the engines not the same? HELP i have both motors out, just need to sort out wiring before reinstall. cheers

TheSaint
05-02-2011, 10:04 AM
yes its possible - all the information you need is on the internet

a good 10mins with google will yeild all the results you need

also try the search function on here

here are some links:

http://www.differencebetween.net/object/auto-object/difference-between-obd1-and-obd2/

http://www.boomslang.us/obd1to2.htm

its a y8 but its obd2 - just ignore the bits about vtec
http://www.hondatech.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=771

its a y8 but its obd2 - just ignore the bits about vtec
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-41591.html

oocus
05-02-2011, 11:48 AM
thanks mate invaluable.

TheSaint
05-02-2011, 01:46 PM
no problems - it looks like its easier to convert the obd2 engine to obd1 than convert the car to obd2

if ur car is carby u will have to convert it to EFI tho

oocus
05-02-2011, 02:56 PM
no mine is injected. so it seems to be that i use the dizzy, intake, exhaust and dizzy from d15? this is so all the plugs fit right? but i still have to get an adapter for the ecu, because i have to use the ecu that came with the d16y4 ek motor. does all that sound right?

TheSaint
05-02-2011, 03:14 PM
hrm - i dont think u have to keep the D15 intake manifold - im using a D16z6 intake manifold on my D15b7 and as far as i know the d16z6 and D16y4 have the same intake manifold
as for the exhaust - the sensor should be plug and play with the D16y4 - you will have to use the D15 dizzy

if you can afford it now would be a good time to invest in some N*Power headers on ebay (only $160 shipped) and a hondata intake manifold gasket as well - the stock gasket will be complete shite by now and will need to be removed carefully with a blade and some gasket remover spray - install the hondata with a light application of permatex aviation form-a-gasket on both sides
i would also give all the ports on the head, the intake manifold and the throttlebody a good spray with throttle body cleaner

i would probably do a charcoal canister delete at this point as well - if its never been replaced than its doing nothing anway - just plug up the vacc lines and leave the fuel line open for breathing

u should be able to run the engine on an OBD1 ECU - just have to find the closest basemap - im using a P28 on my D15b7 even tho the engine doesnt have vtec - i got it chipped to remove the no-vtec CEL (i also got launch control, and CEL shift light added to the chip as well)

oocus
05-02-2011, 05:51 PM
cheers again, your help is greatly appreciated, it does not seem like such a big task now. in regard to the ecu, you say i can run an obd1 ecu on the d16y4. but i cannot use the one off the d15z1 because this has vtec init, right? so i need a obd1 ecu from a d16 or a adapter to go from obd1 to obd2? this is my first honda so i am just learning. bought eg8 vei with blown headgasket, had head checked and machined, valves done, all new gaskets. put it together, lasted about 17km and it started to get hot, ran on 2 cylinders, the oil filled with water, and water spewed from the radiator (without radiator cap) every time you gave it a rev. cant work it out. so engine out.

TheSaint
05-02-2011, 06:06 PM
man that sux - you should have said VEI to begin with - when people say EG8 i assume GL or GLi lol

you probably can run the D16y4 on the D15 ecu but you will get a check engine light because the D16y4 doesnt have vtec
lets not try it before we know for sure tho lol

the yanks would know - but they didnt get the D16y4 over there and i dont know what the equivelant engine is in USDM

iv been reading up and it looks like the injector wiring might be different for obd2 as well =/

and than i just found this link which says the D16y4 is some wierd configuration and isnt obd1 or obd2 .....

http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/showthread.php?19132-Help-i-donno-OBD1-or-OBD2...

you might have to call honda on monday and confirm whats going on with it lol

oocus
05-02-2011, 06:11 PM
thanks mate, goes to show what happens when starting out. bought a whole ek, thought it was just a matter of swapping running gear and ecu to the eg. boy was i wrong! now i am without a car till i can get it going. thanks again.

oocus
05-02-2011, 06:27 PM
ok, i have both ecus in front of me. d15z1 ecu is probably one third longer and has 3 grey connectors going into it. #37820-p07-g02 AUU. d16y4 ecu is one third smaller, takes only 2 grey connectors. #37820-p2k-q01 DZ. dont know if this helps. did notice connections to injectors seem different as well as dizzy. oxy sensor and cat are in different places.

oocus
05-02-2011, 08:08 PM
yes, turns out ecu p2k is neither obd1 or obd2. great, now what.

TheSaint
06-02-2011, 12:41 AM
yeah you have a p07 and a p2k

as far as i know the only solution is to get a pin-out of both ECU and do a full conversion wire by wire =/

or get rid of it and buy a motor thats an easier swap lol - ill do some research on if theres an easy way around it......

whats actually dead on the D15? you could rebuild it and do a mini-me head swap

TheSaint
06-02-2011, 12:44 AM
heres a pin-out diagram if you want to attempt your own harness

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?65476-EK-Cxi-P2K-ecu-pinout

oocus
06-02-2011, 06:05 AM
dont know whats dead. had head all done, but seems that it still could be a problem, could be cracked block. dont know that is why i want to replace, cant find the reason why thisis happening. another motor not realistic, understand i jumped in and bought d16y4 (without knowing about ecu and obd) but know i must make it work. as for the mini-me thing i dont understand the advantage of this setup. i am starting to think use the d16y4 but with manifolds, dizzy, mounts and altenator from d15z1 that way i can use my exisisting wiring, then i will need a compatiable ecu because mine wont work because of vtec/ does this sound logical? cheers for all your help, this is a very confusing engine swap.

TheSaint
06-02-2011, 01:34 PM
yeah that should work - although i dont really see why u would need to use the different manifolds - its easy enough to change over the sensors and wiring from the D15

a mini-me swap uses the block from a non-vtec engine and the head from a vtec engine - but in your case i dont think it would be advantageous - maybe if you had different engines

you should be able to run the D16 on a vtec ecu - but it will show a no-vtec CEL - and you would have to find one that has maps close to the D16y4

you could also get the OBD1 ecu chipped and have the D16y4 map installed onto it - would be easy enough