PDA

View Full Version : insurance and coilovers

anzai
07-02-2011, 08:15 AM
hey guys im shopping around for a full comp cover at the moment

i just wanna know if i should declare that i have coilovers installed on my car, as obviously they are illegal without an engineering cert.

can i just say i have a suspension setup to lower the height of the vehicle?

what does most people do?

here's a kitteh for you as a thanks in advance

http://www.golivewire.com/forums/img.cgi?i=88712

cheers

kriZy
07-02-2011, 08:46 AM
LOL at your kitteh!

yes i believe you should and if the insurance company can't cover it, they'll tell you when you are enquiring/quoting.

justcar insures for unlimited mods.

krispykreme
07-02-2011, 09:57 AM
yeah defanatly tell them!

you dont want to have a crash and they look over your car and find them :S

just car insurance will cover you (as above) with unlimited mods,

i have insurance with them and i have coilovers n wheels all that stuff

no problems ! hope that helps you out mate.

espionage85
07-02-2011, 10:07 AM
make sure you list every single mod,
i almost lost $27000 because of a f#*king stupid turbo timer in my Subaru B4 Liberty

kriZy
07-02-2011, 10:50 AM
ahh yes u just reminded me to call them!

act_gooner
07-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Don't mean to hicjack, but how much will insurance go up approximately?

krispykreme
07-02-2011, 11:51 AM
with just car insurance, my old car didnt go up anything, i got a quote for my "stock s15" and it was X amount of dollars, then i said it has some

modifications, roll cage, 17x9.5 wheels all round, coilovers, body kit, steering wheel, few other steering and handling components, and it was the exact same

amount for insurance, so ill back just car insurance 100%

im still with them and have a ek4 honda with mods and there the only people that will insure me and there cheaper than most companys anyway!!

dougie_504
07-02-2011, 07:52 PM
I've just told my insurers that I have lowered suspension. I also think a lot of them wouldn't know the difference between a coilover setup and a lowered spring. Some of their online-quote websites list tickboxes for 'header' AND 'exhaust manifold/extractors' so that you can tick it twice if you want them to screw your premium twice as hard.

My brother's DC4 has Spectre front & Spoon rear strut brace, 4-2-1 XForce header, Magnaflow cat, Fujitsubo Power Getter cat-bcak, Cusco Comp S coilovers and 17" Enkei Monaco's. The only mod that his insurer charges him extra premium for is the front strut brace and it's like an extra $10. So I really have no idea what formula they use to decide...

anzai
07-02-2011, 08:04 PM
i gave a few insurers a call and was told that as long as the modifications are approved by vicroads (can pass roadworthy) they will cover it.

this includes just car, aami and racv.

as a matter of fact they are the only ones who would insure me and a dc2r.

aami quoted $1800/yr for an agreed value of $13500

justcar quoted $2462/yr for agreed value of $14500

racv $2802/yr for $14000

anyone here with aami?

act_gooner
07-02-2011, 09:48 PM
^^Yep. My insurance is coming up and they quoted me less than last year so I need to call them to figure out whats going on haha.