PDA

View Full Version : Rear trailing arm bushes & lowering

Mikecivic78
08-02-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm soon to upgrade springs and shocks from stock to eibach pro kit (approx 1.3' drop) with koni sport dampers.

I've read that when lowering you should clock the rear trailing arm bushes to compensate for the drop. There's not much info on this as it seems most people don't bother (I've been doing a fair bit of googling). Aparently if you don't adjust them they will wear out prematurely. ATM they are in good nick.

Is it a big dick around to DIY it? I'd imagine even trying to clock them without hammering them out would be almost impossible, and when and if I do hammer them out they might be cactused.

Also, 1.3" is a modest drop, so maybe they will handle it?

Furthermore, is a camber kit advisable? I'm on a budget.

Can someone shed some light on this?

SPEEDCORE
08-02-2011, 04:59 PM
1.3" drop.... you'll be fine.

Forget about the camber kit also.... just get alignment to get the toe corrected.

Mikecivic78
08-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the speedy reply ;)

vinnY
10-02-2011, 01:43 AM
yeah 1.3" should be right

I think the rule of thumb was clock the bush 0.25" every 1" drop, I think that's what I followed anyway
ended up clocking it around 0.75" :p

bennjamin
10-02-2011, 07:06 AM
im sure with a bit of paper , a compass a protractor a pencil you could work out the exact degree to rotate the trailing arm bush so its flat again with X drop !

Mikecivic78
10-02-2011, 01:22 PM
im sure with a bit of paper , a compass a protractor a pencil you could work out the exact degree to rotate the trailing arm bush so its flat again with X drop !

Degree isn't what I'm worried about. It's just actually shifting the damn things and removing the trailing arm that'll
be bothersome.

You guys sure a modest drop with eibach pro kit won't need it?

Mikecivic78
10-02-2011, 04:31 PM
If they are not rotated, will it effect handling?

vinnY
10-02-2011, 04:42 PM
there will be pre-load in the bush and it'd just deform differently
that and wear out quicker

bennjamin
10-02-2011, 04:42 PM
If they are not rotated, will it effect handling?

Probably only the most hardcore race setups dial in the rear trailing arm bush - it is a major part of the rest suspensions geometry so I can understand why !

As for everyone else on here - a modest drop will not worry you.
It's just when idiots dump the car on it's ass - that's when the trailing arm is essentially binded and will prematurely wear/tear out.

Mikecivic78
11-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I won't bother dialing them in.

It is certain they will wear out somewhat prematurely, but hopefully not too soon.

mugen_ctr
11-02-2011, 01:58 PM
i was gonna change my trailing bushes as well an clock em, since the rear trailing arm were out, but found its to much of a hassle to do so, an tryna pull em out, was a bitch so gave up... tried the good ol hammer trick, nothing.. u need a proper press to push em out

Mikecivic78
11-02-2011, 02:04 PM
i was gonna change my trailing bushes as well an clock em, since the rear trailing arm were out, but found its to much of a hassle to do so, an tryna pull em out, was a bitch so gave up... tried the good ol hammer trick, nothing.. u need a proper press to push em out

This guy didn't seem to have any problems. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPTDzrxqoOo

I'm guessing you need to get them out 1st then reinstall bushes at the necessary angle. Dont think you can just twist them without removing.

SPEEDCORE
11-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Yes need to come out and pressed in at correct angle. Still don't like the idea banging of bushings in with a hammer, but that's me.

Seriously... with that kind of drop I would not be concerned at all. If you already had purchased a bushing kit, and getting them installed to freshen the whole car up then I would say yes, clock them.

If it is a case of you throwing the coils on @ a drop 1.3" like you said, and no intent of changing out bushings at this point in time.... leave the RTA bushing as it is.

beeza
11-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Nice! Haven't heard of this before.Good stuff!

Sounds like no need to bother doing it.

I got Mugen RTA bushes.

I've always loved those sypherical bearing RTA bushes Yonas sells,looks sweet.Wonder how much of a difference it makes?

Alvis
12-02-2011, 02:12 PM
I'm soon to upgrade springs and shocks from stock to eibach pro kit (approx 1.3' drop) with koni sport dampers.

Good topic! And glad to see you decided on a set of springs/shocks - make sure you let us know how the Koni's go and what the ride comfort and handling is like.

Sorry to jump onto the back of one of your threads again (lol) but I've also too just bought some lowering springs (Spoon with a 0.8 inch drop) and was wondering if it's beneficial to the cars improved handling to change out any necessary bushings, and if so, which ones?

Mikecivic78
12-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Here's a thread on bushes. It should give you the info you need. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?120991-Bushes-Replaced-the-major-ones!

vinnY
12-02-2011, 04:51 PM
too bad brett didn't go into detail on getting them in/out
I still have nightmares

speaking of bushes, I just installed some hardrace front and rear sway bar bushes
the rear ones were an absolute nightmare
they're so stiff it's impossible to bend out by hand to slip over the sway bar
had to use a flat spade of some sort, lever the bush apart and push it over the sway bar

Alvis
12-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Here's a thread on bushes. It should give you the info you need. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?120991-Bushes-Replaced-the-major-ones!

Thanks for that mate, what a fantastic thread! Looks like Beeza was pretty happy with the Mugen bushings all 'round :)

beeza
12-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Cheers guys,forsure,definately a great thing to do!

Mikecivic78
12-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Yea, I haven't thought about replacing bushes. Just wanna get my springs and shockies in. Can't afford to do the bushes just now. I know that when I do the install would be the best time and all. It's a very smart thing to do when upgrading dampers/springs.

If you can, definitely do it Alvis. Beeza is right.

Mikecivic78
25-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Just one more question; Should I cut my bump stops for this 1.3" drop?

Alvis
26-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Yes, I literally just got mine lowered and the mechanic said to cut mine; said something about helping with shock travel (but i do have stock shocks so not sure if makes a difference) :)

Alvis
26-02-2011, 01:03 PM
This is how much he cut off my bump stops for my springs (20mm drop).

You can see bits and pieces from the left hand front one which deteriorated (probably my driveway and pressure on shocks)

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m579/apalmucci/My%20Civic/DSC01000edit.jpg

beeza
28-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Ah,so that's what they look like eh! :)

vinnY
28-02-2011, 02:06 PM
just an fyi
some spring makers design their springs to be sitting on the bump stops(my h&r kit specifically tells me NOT to cut them) unless I wanted to drop it an extra .5"

Alvis
28-02-2011, 02:13 PM
ha, that's what I said when I saw them too!

Mikecivic78
28-02-2011, 05:32 PM
just an fyi
some spring makers design their springs to be sitting on the bump stops(my h&r kit specifically tells me NOT to cut them) unless I wanted to drop it an extra .5"

Should I cut mine on install Vinny? I was also considering replacing them, dunno OEM or aftermarket (which ever is cheaper). The car has a fair few Ks on it, so I don't know what state they are in.

vinnY
28-02-2011, 05:33 PM
like I said, depends on what your spring manufacturers have in mind
mine said not to cut them, your manufacturer may have different instructions :)

Mikecivic78
28-02-2011, 05:35 PM
I better check the Eibach site. The springs never came with any instructions in or on the box.