PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofers slowing down car???

Mugen_Euro
12-02-2011, 02:58 PM
So i recently installed my 2X12' subs and a amp and the system runs good but ive realised it slows my car down noticeably. When i accelerate the revs climb alot slower, and its not due to the Wight because ive had the subs in my boot for a while before i got them set-up.

I tried disconnecting them to see how the car would run and i was right, the car runs alot better with them not connected.
Is their any way to overcome this so i can drive with the same power but with the subs conected?

JohnnyJohnJohn
12-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Is your ground wire all setup properly?

newpaddy3
12-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Add a second battery that is also connected to the alternator, you may have to get a different alternator that is capable of charging both batteries.

Your sound system draws power from your battery, your battery also opporates your spark plugs.

Or maybe your battery is low on charge/in need of replacement and can't handle the extra drain.

Or get a more powerful battery.

dougie_504
12-02-2011, 06:03 PM
As above.

Get a small dry cell battery with a larger cold crank rating. They can go up to like 500+, can be mounted upside down if necessary, and will last you for a long long time with tonnes of power.

Worth the $200+

mugen_ctr
12-02-2011, 09:46 PM
would a capacitor do? or is it just a bandaid solution, or just waste of money?

Mikecivic78
12-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Don't forget, subwoofers can be quite heavy. power vs weight.

trism
13-02-2011, 08:47 AM
dont get a second battery, its a waste.

just go out an get a good quality dry cell battery, something like an Odyssey or an Optima.

Upgrade the grounds in the engine bay.

Dont get a capacitor, its a bandaid solution, wont help at all.

Mugen_Euro
13-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Thanks heaps for the help guys, i figured the groud cable in the boot was a bit loose so i chucked a feww more washers on it and tightened it right up works good now but power still noticibly less than when its not connected.
But yer i spoke to a few other ppl and they recomend a good dry cell battery too
but cheers for the input guys :)

dougie_504
13-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Also make sure your groundings are clean, even the ones along the firewall/front of your engine bay. Just unbolt them, clean them up with some sandpaper and put them back on. Good maintenance to make sure your car is running nicely.