PDA

View Full Version : need to quieten exhaust help needed pls

Fredo
24-01-2005, 05:00 PM
I had a 2" cat back exhaust put on my 96 civic gli and have gotten sick of the noise so i took it to get a quietier muffler on my car but it's still about the same noise level. the guy said it was the quietest he had.

So my question is do i have to put the exhaust piping back to original size to make it quietier?. will a smaller pipe (ie standard size) make it quietier?

Lukezen27
24-01-2005, 05:13 PM
Big Bertha Resonator?

viperx
24-01-2005, 06:24 PM
This is the first thing. Do you have too much noise at one particular band or rpm, or is it too loud throughout the rpm range. if it is one particular band, stick in a resonator, it should kill it or at least make it less. experiment firstly with 2" ones, then go down to 1.75" resonators. if its still not good enough stick two in.

or you could try and do the standard size pipe in a straight through design. up to you, its a bit of a black art with exhausts, to get the sound you like.

chris2k
24-01-2005, 06:39 PM
silencer

|N|
24-01-2005, 07:09 PM
go back to full stock..

Fredo
24-01-2005, 08:51 PM
it's already got a big mother of a resonator on it.

it was put on there for a bit of sound only anyway so if i go back to standard size and i keep the 2" res and muffler should that be fairly quiet?

it drones to much especially when i back off.

viperx
25-01-2005, 01:13 AM
that would cost more. try taking out the resonator and put a triflow in its place, or saw off a bit more pipe and put a triflow after the resonator.

egSi
25-01-2005, 08:03 AM
shove some steel wool up your muffler :thumbsup:

chaos coupe
25-01-2005, 08:38 AM
gli loud?...i used to have a gli civic and it's not that loud..

[stealth]
25-01-2005, 08:44 AM
remain stock or use 1-2 ressies.. with a new muffler.. in most cases its just the muffler thats plain loud..

flipmods
25-01-2005, 09:25 AM
Piping will not quieten the noise and resonators will just change the tone. To make it sound quieter you will need a smaller tip like 2inch, you most probably have a 3inch or 4 inch hey? But If I were you I would just put a stock Vtir muffler on, more flow and better take off. Got one for $80 PM if interested.

LAGOOT
25-01-2005, 09:56 AM
i agree with most comments made. put another resonator or if its too much then go back to stock! :thumbsup:

LO_N_SXC
25-01-2005, 12:03 PM
I agree going with the silencer! I have one for my car and it can be adjusted so you can make it as quiet as you wish and you still can have that sexy honda sound without the headaches! Xforce make them for most of their mufflers, I have used it for a road worthy and it pased coz it was so quiet.

see what fits your budget, you might find a resonator might be too much mucking around, I say this coz if one resonator doesn't make it quieter then you might have to get a different one and by the time you know it you have spent big buck$$$$$....

viperx
25-01-2005, 05:40 PM
Piping will not quieten the noise
Are you sure about this? Not in my experience. They can make a pretty huge difference...

and resonators will just change the tone.
They cut out frequency specific (and hence RPM specific) resonation in my experience, not change the tone (as in high or low tone)

To make it sound quieter you will need a smaller tip like 2inch, you most probably have a 3inch or 4 inch hey?
Only in specific cases...

But If I were you I would just put a stock Vtir muffler on, more flow and better take off. Got one for $80 PM if interested.
For all you know he might have a straight through, how can a triflow (stock VTiR muffler) have more flow than a straight through muffler?

[stealth]
25-01-2005, 05:46 PM
silencers change the tone of an exhaust.. resonators.. reduce the rumble... esp when down gearing and @ idle..

PhatSol
25-01-2005, 06:00 PM
I agree try and add another resonator. Also mufflers with larger bodies are generally quieter.

[stealth]
25-01-2005, 06:05 PM
yeah that is also important.. nething larger.. closer to stock looking.. wont be very loud at all.. people dont realise this until its too late..

viperx
25-01-2005, 06:11 PM
']yeah that is also important.. nething larger.. closer to stock looking.. wont be very loud at all.. people dont realise this until its too late..
This depends on design!!

If you get a Greddy straight thru and compare it with a triflow VTiR muffler, the Greddy is certainly gonna be louder.

The larger thing is just the roughest guide in the world, it just means that it 'probably' has more absorption material than a muffler that is smaller!

flipmods
25-01-2005, 11:01 PM
We are not talking about all the different types of exhaust setups in the world, we are talking about his setup. I said if he puts smaller piping it wont get that much quieter, I am talking 1 3/4 not 1 inch.

When I say resonator will just change the tone, I mean another resonator will just change the sound, I don't know if it is tone frequency or whatever but at the end of the day his exhaust will still be noisy.
And did I say a Vtir muffler flows better than a straight through? Of course he has a straight through muffler isn't that obvious? i am saying that a Vtir muffler has enough flow to give him more performance than a stock Gli muffler. He is not running a turbo and I doubt he uses his car for track use, he doesn't need a straight through.
Mate I think you are over analysing everyones post. When all is said and done he either needs a silencer (smaller tip) or a muffler that is not straight through if he wants a quiet exhaust.

Are you sure about this? Not in my experience. They can make a pretty huge difference...

They cut out frequency specific (and hence RPM specific) resonation in my experience, not change the tone (as in high or low tone)

Only in specific cases...

For all you know he might have a straight through, how can a triflow (stock VTiR muffler) have more flow than a straight through muffler?

aimre
26-01-2005, 01:34 AM
depend on what U feel is noisy, i got a N1 style muffler with only 1 resonator and 2 inch piping and i dont find it loud... well not that loud :):)

umm here are choices fomr what ive read:

nother resonator - car still louder, but gets rid of the drone

x-force with silencer - take out silencer, great flow, lots of noise
put silencer in butleave open, slightly less flow, slightly less sound
close the silencer, almost stock flow, very little car.
Best thig about this, is u can tune the sound on the side of the road

twin loop (mugen or xforce) - good flow without the noise

Steel wool - Nothing wrong with a bit of DIY, kills sound and flow

n e thing i missed??

Sp3rMz
26-01-2005, 04:37 AM
This topic has been covered millions of times. Please use the search function next time :D.

1. Bang another Hot Dog on.
2. DIY: Steel wool in the muffler
3. Silencer
4. New muffler altogether
5. All of above
6. Pump up your stereo
7. Go back to stock
8. And last of all rev ur car infront of a cop station so you'l get defected. That way no matter what happens you "MUST" get a quieter system.:p

BTW: I advise to go for a Mugen twin loop zorst system. Retail price of $1.7k cat back. If you cant afford that just get X force S10 (mugen twin loop replica) for roughly $200-400 muffler only. MAX POWER MIN SOUND :thumbsup: And if thats too loud, go back to stock. If its too soft, try X-force S12. Its also a twin loop system just bigger outlet (comes with silencer)

Lukezen27
26-01-2005, 10:01 AM
This topic has been covered millions of times. Please use the search function next time :D.

1. Bang another Hot Dog on.
2. DIY: Steel wool in the muffler
3. Silencer
4. New muffler altogether
5. All of above
6. Pump up your stereo
7. Go back to stock
8. And last of all rev ur car infront of a cop station so you'l get defected. That way no matter what happens you "MUST" get a quieter system.:p

BTW: I advise to go for a Mugen twin loop zorst system. Retail price of $1.7k cat back. If you cant afford that just get X force S10 (mugen twin loop replica) for roughly $200-400 muffler only. MAX POWER MIN SOUND :thumbsup: And if thats too loud, go back to stock. If its too soft, try X-force S12. Its also a twin loop system just bigger outlet (comes with silencer)
What's what I have X force S10 and its nice and quite and I like the sound :D

Take a look at my setup as I asked for a quiet system before buys it:thumbsup:

Car Specs
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=2804

LukeZen

PS $1200 installed all included

Denchy
26-01-2005, 02:21 PM
shove some steel wool up your muffler :thumbsup:
I can vouch for that I had a sheet of chicken wire rolled up and stuffed up the muffler... worked realy well :D

Fredo
26-01-2005, 02:52 PM
ok just to clarify,

My muffler isn't straight through 2" standard style muffler like on any normal car. i want to go back to standard exhaust sound.

In short i want the noise level back to standard, dont care about performance, stock noise, stock power. but someone said stock piping wont make it quietier, so if i put on stock size piping with the 2" standard style muffler i've got wont that be close to stock noise

viperx
26-01-2005, 02:58 PM
Sorry mate if you felt I was having a go at you, that wasnt my intention. :o But people who dont know much about exhausts who read your message may misinterpret what you said and I'm just trying to make sure this doesnt happen. No insult intended. And I never said you were wrong either, I'm just sharing my experiences, and also asking for yours.

I've actually experimented with both 1.75" and 2.25" systems of the same design (of course the muffler and resis was changed as well to maintain equal diameter) and the differience in noise is quite large. going from 1.75" to 2.25" results in an increase in crossectional area of 65%. of course every car is different so the same may not have been true in your car.

I didnt know the GLi muffler was different to the VTiR one to be honest. The type R muffler internal pipes have bell shaped ends and the exit pipe internal diameter is larger, but I thought the VTiR muffler was the same as the GLi.

We are not talking about all the different types of exhaust setups in the world, we are talking about his setup. I said if he puts smaller piping it wont get that much quieter, I am talking 1 3/4 not 1 inch.

When I say resonator will just change the tone, I mean another resonator will just change the sound, I don't know if it is tone frequency or whatever but at the end of the day his exhaust will still be noisy.
And did I say a Vtir muffler flows better than a straight through? Of course he has a straight through muffler isn't that obvious? i am saying that a Vtir muffler has enough flow to give him more performance than a stock Gli muffler. He is not running a turbo and I doubt he uses his car for track use, he doesn't need a straight through.
Mate I think you are over analysing everyones post. When all is said and done he either needs a silencer (smaller tip) or a muffler that is not straight through if he wants a quiet exhaust.

viperx
26-01-2005, 03:01 PM
If you to be guaranteed stock noise level i suggest you put your stock system back on and saw off the tip, and weld a bigger one on. dont keep your 2" muffler, no point. just rip the whole thing out from the cat back and try to sell it.

viperx
26-01-2005, 03:03 PM
or dont even saw the tip off the stock muffler. just paint the tip black and bolt (or weld) a bigger tip around it. safest bet.

viperx
26-01-2005, 03:10 PM
How do you find the Xforce sounds in comparison to the mugen?