PDA

View Full Version : Minor rear accident.. advice needed...

18dim
14-02-2011, 02:55 PM

YLDS2K
14-02-2011, 03:33 PM
from what i know, insurance companies will only replace the damaged items with OEM parts that were released for that year and model of your car. if you want to upgrade your bar and tail lights, i think you will have to pay the difference but what i would advise is, let them replace the tail lights because you will have a mint pair that you might be able to do a swap with someone for AP2's. I've done this but advise that its rare to get people to swap out AP2 parts for AP1 unless a guy has these parts on a AP1 and wants to return it back to stock.

good luck with it, keep us informed on what u do

JamieP
14-02-2011, 06:28 PM
They wont replace the tail lights with AP2 as only one side is damaged so they will only cover one new light rather than a full set. However if your bumper has been damaged beyond reasonible repair (not just paint damage) then providing you can source the bumper yourself within the allocated ammount of money they are willing to give the body shop you take the car to then their should be no problems with doing so as I did the same thing with my old prelude when I was rear ended. I had the body shop replace the OEM tail lights with Altezzas and the rear bumper with a veilside one (as I already had the veilsde front bumper and sides)

garett
14-02-2011, 07:15 PM
go kick in everything you want changed... haha

make sure its worth going through insurance before you make the call.
wheel repair depending on damage (rash only) is between 100-200 for a decent job per wheel.
one tail light for AP1 is quite cheap. and you may be able to polish the marks out.

just do your homework first.

ludecrs
14-02-2011, 08:45 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't even bother with the insurance, your premium alone probably means a $1000 upfront + rating drop + "repaired write off" (from memory - I could be wrong there).
A replacement tail light is about $100, so too a rear bumper plus paint ($200). If you're lucky you could probably pick one up in the same colour.
As for the wheel, what wheels are they?

euromandeluxe
15-02-2011, 11:03 AM
rear bumper + paint $200?! sign me up!

18dim
15-02-2011, 03:12 PM

ludecrs
15-02-2011, 05:11 PM
You can buy AP2 tails new for $350 a set in the US + post.
Used AP2 bumpers out of the UK are about $300 + post.

LM's are sourced out of Japan easily these days. Either a set of a pair.

If you can get the repairer to fit the new stuff you're laughing as your premium is only $500 (I still think it'll be more because of age excess, and everything else they hit the under 25s with).

ncmx5
15-02-2011, 08:04 PM
the beater won't just write you up a quote and the insurance company will say okie dokie... they have their own assessors that goes out and inspects the damage after the panel beater writes them a quote. Which insurance company are you with?

18dim
19-02-2011, 11:51 AM

g.ta
25-02-2011, 09:20 AM
i got into a hit recently, i went to honda to get some prices for parts. they gave me AP1 and AP2 headlights and taillights price and they were the same. the only parts damaged on the car is rear bumper, 1 rear light and front bar but im gettin Both front (ap2) and rear (ap2) plus ap2 lip, ap2 taillights and ap2 headlights, new bonnet, and both guards repaired (from wheels being too big and scrubbing) plus a new colour respray (bumpers, boot, bonnet, guards and rear qtrs). all this under 1 insurance claim, the only thing i have to pay for are painting and fixing up the dents on the doors and respraying the mirrors and doors. so i think its up to the insurance assessor how far you wanna push it, if u kick everything in provided it makes sense with what u said happened in the accident (eg u hit a curb but ur roof is now smashed) then it should be ok. the prices i got from Homebush Honda from Ranit (he always gives good prices) but yeah.

ncmx5
26-02-2011, 08:42 AM
AAMI is a tough insurer to make claims - if it was your fault, they will get two quotes from two panel beaters and pick the cheapest one. End of story unless you're pals with the assessor.

g.ta - i don't know if you realise how much work is required to do the ap2 conversion - i.e. will the panel beater be happy spending extra hours modding your car because it's not a straight bolt on job.
i.e.
rear ap2 lights need your back sockets to be cut and wiring loom to be modded.
rear bumper needs new brackets (i think)
front ap2 lights - need to be modded to fit ap1 ballasts - and the ap1 ballasts must have custom brackets to be fixed to the car... unless you're planning to buy ap2 ballasts ($500 ea)
front bumper need new tabs, brackets and under liner to be fitted
i think they spent an extra 10 hours on my car when I did a front end conversion simply due to labour and fiddling around. plus the extra days/weeks of ordering and waiting for extra parts.