PDA

View Full Version : weird smoke problem after changing oil

migoreng
15-02-2011, 11:55 AM
I have been using 5w30 Edge for over a year in my BB6 H22A4 Prelude. It had about 215-220,000km when I switched to 5w30. I had to top up half a litre of oil every 1000km.

Car drove fine by the way. Good power, great fuel economy, always getting close to 9L/100km. idles fine, no flat spots in the rev range. No leaks from the engine, no leaks on the ground overnight. All external oil seals were fixed starting mid last year.

Adrian at Toda didn't see any issues when my car was getting a dyno tune in October last year. Smooth/rapid tuning and decent gains for my mods except for a haze of white/grey smoke when at over ~4500rpm in a 4th gear WOT run.

Currently i'm at 240,000km at just did my major service but decided to switch to 5w40 Valvoline Synpower. Was trying to see if the oil loss would drop a bit.

Only done 300km since the oil change and the oil level is still full. Maybe it has dropped 1mm on the dipstick. I don't know really. I'll have to drive another 700km and then see where it gets down to.

The issue is the first day after the oil change I was idling at the lights on the way home and noticed some whiteish smoke puffing in the right rear mirror.
Got home, idled in my driveway for 2-3mins and gave it a quick rev to 4000pm. A small puff of bluish smoke came out of the exhaust. Revved it again..no smoke.

Drove the car the next day, started my engine in the morning. No blue smoke on a cold start.
Rolled my car down a hill using engine braking for almost 10 seconds, got on the throttle, no blue smoke in my rear view mirror.

Drove in city/suburban traffic and it appears to be fine even after idling for a minute or so.
However It will randomly puff a small cloud of white/blue smoke when taking off.

Have given my car plenty of floggings and no issues there. No massive clouds of smoke visible during WOT.

Problem never happened with the Edge 5w30. The smoking only started after the new Synpower oil.

Any idea?

Talked to Hannys in Smithfield the other day about leak/compression tests. They said nothing they can do.

dc2r-0636
15-02-2011, 12:43 PM
possibly the 5w30 oil mixed with the 5w40 and little bit of it burned ? what eva little bit of 5w30 you had left in the engine.

rotary_snail
15-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Sounds like possible valve stem seals. Do a compression and leak down test.