PDA

View Full Version : Rattle coming from rear of Jazz

garbage
16-02-2011, 08:57 AM
I have a 2008 Jazz. There's an annoying rattle coming from the back of the car and I can't quite figure out what's causing it. I've removed the spare, I've removed my baby seats, I've removed the plastic border around the rear number plate and I've travelled with the rear seats folded down. The rattle is still there.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be?

garbage
16-02-2011, 09:02 PM
I've finally pinpointed the source of the rattle - the rear number plate! Anyway, I've added "foam sticky tape" to the top section where the number plate makes contact with the car body and then screwed it in tight so that the plate permanently makes contact with the foam. It worked for the first few minutes of driving, then the rattle started again and I don't know why. The number plate is only attached to the car with two screws at the top of the plate. The bottom of the plate angles away from the body of the car, so there is no contact there. I've also removed the plastic frame around the plate.

Has anyone tinkered around with a rattle coming from their number plate and can suggest something to solve this problem?

fillit
16-02-2011, 09:23 PM
my suggestion would be to put the plastic border back on and use some double sided tape to stick it to the body of the car(on the bottom side), the reason why it is rattling is because the plates flap around when you are driving.

garbage
16-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Damn. Looks like I'm back to square one. I removed the plate and drove up and down the street and found that the rattle was still there. Now I really have no idea what it is. Nothing at the back seems loose.

fillit
16-02-2011, 09:57 PM
check the plastics, wipers, spare tools, the board which covers the spare wheel.

get under the car and make sure the muffler is secured, check the wheel nuts to make sure it's tight and spoiler is attached properly if you have one

garbage
16-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I've fiddled around with the plastic bits in the boot area as well as the rear wiper blade, the antenna and the boot door handle. No luck reproducing the metal on metal sound that I'm getting. I've already removed the baby seats I normally carry and put the rear seats down to no avail. I normally drive without the spare or the tools in the boot, but I've now also removed the jack and will see how the car goes tomorrow.

The car is still under warranty, but I'm hoping to at least pinpoint the problem rather than have to take it back to the dealer multiple times.

garbage
17-02-2011, 01:38 PM
I think I might have found where the noise is coming from. The rear door has this plastic casing on the inside of the boot. If I give the rear door a shake from the inside with the rear door closed, I can reproduce that annoying sound. After opening the boot and shaking a few bits attached to it around, I found that the rubber bit that cushions the rear door from the car's body makes a noise when moved. Might try a bit of WD40 when I get home and see what happens.

Gnat
18-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Yeah I have the same sort of rattle, its pissing me off too. Its not persistent though, comes and goes randomly.
Part of the rattle was the rear centre brake light assembly not being bolted onto the hatch properly. Take off the plastic cover, and tighten the bolts. However, the plastic case does not sit flush with the glass (you'll know what i mean when you look at it), and when I go over a bump, I think this could be rattling a bit too.

Also wrap up the tyre jack and the tools, I think they could have been rattling around a bit as well.