PDA

View Full Version : EK1 petrol problem

danNyja1
16-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Hey guys,

Was wondering if anybody has ever had any problems with their EK's not getting enough mileage on a full tank of petrol?

Out of a full tank I would probably get at the most 360-400km depending on normal shifting to granny shifting. Not only a problem in my civic but also 3 other mates EK's as well.

2 friends have already tried changing the fuel filter, at first seemed like it fixed the problem cos they got 340km out of half a tank. but typically once it goes past the half way mark on the fuel gauge it just drops down rapidly.. they just squeezed over 420km and thats driving on E for another 30km..

Anybody know what the problem is?
Most people that I have come across has said their EG's or EK's generally go around 500km on a full tank

blastnpast
16-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Uh in my ek 1999 Gli I drive 120 kms a day and to half a tank I get 350 and the tank seems to get empty at around 550klms however when I fuel up I only fill up 36 LTRS so I have 9 LTRS left In my tank... I actually haven't even seen the empty light lol

danNyja1
16-02-2011, 03:37 PM
I've never seen the empty light also, i dont think it even works!
In total of about 5 ek1's never had seen the light turn on, cant say much about ek4's cos the mate that owns that never goes completely low..

and as for 350km on half tank, the 2 friends that have had their fuel filters changed get around 240-250km on half tank like myself..
it only went 350km half tank the first time they filled up their petrol tank after installing it, 2nd time round not so lucky lol..

edit: we all fill the complete 45 ltr tank

blastnpast
16-02-2011, 03:58 PM
Lol I actually made a thread out when I first bought my ek and asked anyone if their is even a low fuel light that comes on and to my surprise there was one haha!!

But yeah I get 350 coz I do motorway driving when I am average suburb driving it's like 300 possible 320 to half tank

mugen_ctr
16-02-2011, 04:03 PM
450kms at most for mine, bp98 as well :(

I think thats typical for all ek's, somethings about there fuel sensor isnt correct, cause mine does exactly that, at first i was happy to see iev manage to do 300kms half tank, than poof, things start goin down hill, some how i only got 420kms lol

rotary_snail
16-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Fuel filter won't really increase fuel economy, try replacing your main oxygen sensor. The 02 sensor determines your a/f mixture once the car goes into closed loop mode, an aged 02 sensor = faulty mixtures.

sexy_shazam
16-02-2011, 11:01 PM
I think if your doing short under 5km trips your fuel usage will drop drastically. If you start doing longer uninterrupted runs you will find your usage will be a lot lower.

danNyja1
17-02-2011, 08:46 AM
cheers rotary_snail, most likely drop by hondwreck over the weekend and see if they have any oxygen sensors

edit: sexy_shazam, my trips on average are over 10km. usually driving to work that consists of freeway and highway driving.

bennjamin
17-02-2011, 10:51 AM
try these small tips

1. check your tyres - make sure its even each corner and the same as the SIDEWALL states ( not whats written on your b pillar).
check your wheel alignment - a dragging toe will require more effort and fuel to run
2. do a minor service - new engine oil , oil filter , spark plugs and ofcourse air filter ( or clean it out )
Not sure if its relevant - but short trips and stop-start driving DRASTICALLY effect your fuel economy.

davodinhkum
20-02-2011, 08:38 PM
try removing your throttle body and cleaning it thoroughly, along with all the sensors attached. This can be done with the aid of carby cleaner.
Check this thread out: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?120191-DIY-Calibrating-the-Voltage-on-the-TPS

Did it the other day and so far looks promising. After filling the tank to the brink, I'd usually get 80km until the pin would start moving. Getting at least 100km now. Idle feels stronger too; but will give you an update soon.

-Tom
20-02-2011, 11:33 PM
..somethings about there fuel sensor isnt correct, cause mine does exactly that..

I always thought it was this too!
I thought my needle was getting stuck, or that the fuel in my tank wasn't being calculated correctly

rotary_snail
21-02-2011, 06:51 AM
I always thought it was this too!
I thought my needle was getting stuck, or that the fuel in my tank wasn't being calculated correctly

Could always try cleaning the contacts.

achet007
25-02-2011, 01:34 PM
I had the same problem as well... only get 340-380 depend on the road conditions... mate of my said to rest ECU and I manage to get it up to 400-450 before the LIGHT turns on!

However it goes back down to 360 again =( only lasted for few months then I had to reset it again... just un pug the battery cable for 10-15mins, quote me if I’m wrong in the method of re-setting the ECU tho guy but it seems to work for me...