PDA

View Full Version : Car Washing Tips?

imaxsameer
17-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Just washed me car and I still have this stuff left when I finished drying it. I scrubbed it and it didn't come off but if I use my Waffleweave and scrub it just comes off. I want to know what can I do to avoid this from happening.

I use MotorPro (My first ever car wash soap bought)
Waffleweave (Non microfibre)
And seasponge with a rough bit on top.
http://i55.tinypic.com/29upngn.jpg

Here is the stuff:
http://i53.tinypic.com/2jceu52.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/xm3kw7.jpg

Sorry for the oversized pics.
Thanks,

SuperJDM.
17-02-2011, 07:45 PM
are those cracks in your paint? :S try to polish it

imaxsameer
17-02-2011, 07:49 PM
na its on top of the paint some dirt

SuperJDM.
17-02-2011, 07:51 PM
try polishing it rather than just giving it a wash with saop

imaxsameer
17-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Liquid cut and polish?

SuperJDM.
17-02-2011, 07:55 PM
yessir

imaxsameer
17-02-2011, 07:56 PM
That will remove a whole layer of clearcoat... ?

sxmachine
17-02-2011, 07:59 PM
like above try polish it but if that fails try some clay soap (get it from automotive parts dealer, repco,supercheap,autopeps, etc ) or get 2000 wet and dry on a block and wet rub it than polish it trying to keep the rubbing to a minimal without blocking to much you dont want to rub through ...
but if i was you i'd use a better brand of soap than that one.. go to autobarn them guys can help you out
hope that helps

Cartoon
17-02-2011, 08:00 PM
try a clay bar, then polish then wax to maintain the life of the paint :)

A clay bar will remove all the little bits of crap in the paint u cant see as well as the stuff u can, that is as long as what ever in on your paint in not baked into the clear coat

imaxsameer
17-02-2011, 08:11 PM
ArmorAll Liquid Polish and Cut? And which Claybar you recommend?

And for the Liquid Polish and Cut do I apply it just like the Liquid Wax.

dougie_504
17-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Where do you park your car? Under a tree?

Looks like it could be possum sh!t. Hard stuff to get off.

Always spray your possum and bird sh!t off ASAP as it will damage your clear coat about 100x faster than the sun.

Spray, then hit it with a sponge and soap, scrub hard. Dry it off and polish it up.

imaxsameer
17-02-2011, 10:37 PM
So not too sure on what to do. Should I be using a stronger soap because his MotorPro soap was like $4 for a litre.

jeremydawg
17-02-2011, 11:08 PM
yeah it looks like bat sh!t. Bats leave the biggest turds on my car. Try using meguars thats a pretty good brand. Like what was said above try not to park under trees or possum chill out zones lols. When i use cut and polish after putting it on i use my buffer and lightly buff the polish off turns out real good

dougie_504
17-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Good point man could be bat sh!t, I have bats around my place.

Problem for me is that my car is parked on property but right underneath the telephone cables (I have no choice) so I get screwed most nights.

Basically any animal sh!t will damage your clear coat because it's slightly acidic.

Alvis
18-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Yep, I've seen that on my car sometimes no idea why mines always garaged and undercover park during the day, just weird.

But best way is to make sure you wash it regularly (every week or 2 weeks at least to remove grime etc) and polish and wax it all over at least every 2 months to keep it gleaming (I polish and wax spoilers, lips, wing, colour code moulds, skirts every 3-4 weeks).

And use quality products. I personally haven't had any problems with Meguires either

Cartoon
18-02-2011, 02:40 PM
honestly use wuality sh!t, im real fussy.

i use autoglym everything or sonax. Clay bar you need a quick detailer and a clay bar. U spray small areas with the quick detailer and rub the surface with the clay bar. when i wash my car i do this

2 buckets of water, one with car wash one with just water.
rinse the car in a shaded area with all panels cool
when you wash it you put the sponge in the normal water to remove dirt and then in the car wash bucket.
Dry the car
Clay bar it
Wash it again
Polish the car
Wax the car

Do all this is the shade, you should clay bar the car every 12 months and do everything else ever 3 min.

Alvis
18-02-2011, 02:42 PM
can you tell me what claybar is and why you guys use it? Is it more to remove contaminants?

jeremydawg
18-02-2011, 04:25 PM
claybar = bar of clay lols. Yeah its real good for getting rid of little stuff that a normal wash wont get rid of. Like little spots n shiz. You can get them at a supercheap, autobarn, repco etc

curtis265
18-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Looks like a claybar job to me..

Looks to me like a watermark no? Just dried on stubbornly

Alvis
18-02-2011, 08:55 PM
so... i found the Meguires video on clay bar application - but he doesn't say for how long the clay is good for ie. do you have to keep changing it over and getting new clay? Sorry, I've never heard of this clay stuff before lol!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfEfLGL59GI

Alvis
18-02-2011, 09:03 PM
I think I found my answer:

http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/usclaybartor.html

Alvis
18-02-2011, 09:29 PM
This might be worth investing in - supposed to be one of the best on the market - made in USA.

Claybar:
http://www.zas.com.au/product/392/blackfire_poly_clay_ii_200g.html

Lubricant:
http://www.zas.com.au/product/393/blackfire_detailing_clay_bar_lubricant_473ml.html

curtis265
19-02-2011, 12:46 AM
wat the spam LOL

at least ur reading and learning :)

sxmachine
19-02-2011, 05:44 AM
A clay bar is really good for overspray aswell we use it in the panel shop all the time

Cartoon
19-02-2011, 08:09 AM
to maintain the life of the pint i personally use this routine,

wash evey week even if i dont drive it
Wax once a month
Polish every 3 months
clay bar every year (some times twice)

Also every 3 months I detail the bay and with every wax job I full clean the inner guards, wheel wells, inside the doors/hood and boot and hit the seals with some protectant.

Clay bar and quality car care products are one of the best investmetns will make. also remember to use good cloths and wash them after every use. If u drop a sponge or cloth on the ground stop using it till its clean.

Wash the car from the top down always!!!!!!!!

curtis265
20-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Dude u should claybar more than polish...

Alvis
21-02-2011, 07:50 AM
to maintain the life of the pint i personally use this routine,

wash evey week even if i dont drive it
Wax once a month
Polish every 3 months
clay bar every year (some times twice)

Also every 3 months I detail the bay and with every wax job I full clean the inner guards, wheel wells, inside the doors/hood and boot and hit the seals with some protectant.

Clay bar and quality car care products are one of the best investmetns will make. also remember to use good cloths and wash them after every use. If u drop a sponge or cloth on the ground stop using it till its clean.

Wash the car from the top down always!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you really look after your pride and joy - good to hear :)

And good advice - can I ask what you use to detail the engine bay? Currently I really only use a brush for any loose debris, then get an old rag and polish towers, inside bonnet etc etc

Dude u should claybar more than polish...

Bought Meguires claybar kit on the weekend ($35 from Supercheap) and works fantastic! My paint job is pretty good, but I'd never done it before so i still had some of those little 'rust' marks on the back bumper and some spots here and there, but claybar was awesome :)

The finish is superb, it's so smooth, no roughness and it really does feel like the car just came out of the paint shop. I washed the car twice (ie did each panel twice to make sure all clean), chamois in garage so panels don't get hot from sun and quickly went over it with a terry towel before clay bar. Gave it a hit of polish and wax after claybar to finish it off nice...

You get a 100gram block with the quick detailer spray in the kit. I just broke the clay in half (was a little worried I might drop it first time around) and worked fine, I found you can't spray 'too much' spray else it kinda just goes over the top and doesn't take the marks off, but you can't have too little spary else it catches on the paint, so just need to find the balance to how much spray you need.

But recommend claybar without a doubt :thumbsup:

Cartoon
21-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Alvis
I degrease the bay then use quick detail with a soft cloth. if your fussy use an old tooth brush for the hard to get places. For all the black hoses and such get a good plastic/bumper cleaner or some people use tyre shine.

curtis,
i dont drive it much so i dont clay bar thatr much.
If you parked out side a lot and drive it often yes clay bar more often is good to remove crap that will stick and damage the paint.

curtis265
21-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Claybar is for cleaning the paint's contaminants without harming the clearcoat.. Polish removes a layer of clearcoat.. hence why i said what i said.

I've got a claybar but never had time to use it yet LOL. Oh well.

TheSaint
21-02-2011, 01:36 PM
ok here is some pro information - i have been detailing my cars properly for years now
other ppls advice on here is pretty spot on - but there are some things u should know about claybars and brands

firs of all - claybars
DONT buy a cheap one
if it gets dirt or grit in it - throw it away straight away - treat it like somethign you would eat - like dont get it dirty lol
u need a quality lubricant to use with the claybar - the Mothers Showtime so far has been the BEST lubricant i have found
the Mothers Claybar has been the best i have used so far as well - Maguires is also good but i find that their products dont last as long for the same money
treat the claybar like a fine grit bit of sandpaper on $100000 mahogany antique table - slide the bar with one hand and feel that the dirt is lifting with the other
dont scrub or push hard

onto products and brands....
DONT DONT DONT use Armorall - this stuff is the worse shit in the world - does more harm than good - wouldnt even clean my shoes with it
the three main brands are (in order from good to best) Maguires, Mothers and Autoglym
Autoglym being the ritz - the best of the best
Mothers is my everyday product
and maguires i use if i cant get the other 2 or i need something in mass quantity

DO ALL YOUR WASHING / CLEANING IN THE SHADE
DONT LET ANYTHING DRY IN THE SUN
to dry ur car either drive it around or shammy it

as for cleaning dirt/spots/blemish ---
1. go buy Autoglym Pain Restoration
2. use a small polishing pad and about 5c peice size dollop of above product and give it a soft polish
(too hard will wreck the clearcoat - but softly applied this should lift the dirt)
3. clear away any lifted dirt or residue with Mothers Showtime and a soft cloth
4. wash effected area clear with clean water and pad/shammy clean
------------------------
5. now use the claybar softly with Mothers Showtime as a lubricant
(this should remove any remaning swirls, dirt, debris, tar, overspray, sap etc
6. wash the car with a high grade car wash - or take it through a laser drive-through car wash to put a protective coat back on
(i use Maguires Gold car wash with a small pour of Mothers Showtime in a bucket of hot water)

i have mentioned showtime a few times - its a really good allrounder product
it serves as a lubricant for claybar - it clears away any polish etc left over from any step in a cleaning process
and it has really good waterproofing qualities - its also good for photoshoots or car shows as it really brings ur paint up nice
on its own it doesnt last very long tho

im not really into waxing very much - but the few times i have done it - i used a Mothers Claybar kit
this kit comes with Mothers Claybar, Mothers Showtime and Mothers Canuba Wax
i do it by hand and i use blue chucks cloths for waxxing
avoid using machines - they are useless and leave swirls

another amazing product i have found over the years is Mothers Protectant
most products for protecting ur dash are SHIT - especially Armorall and Polyglaze
these leave a film on the dash, in ur vents and worst of all it gets up onto ur windscreen and windows
Mothers Protectant doesnt do this and it really makes ur dash beam like it just came out of the showroom floor
great stuff

hope this helps - let me know if u have any questions
or need advice on any other types of detailing or valet

jeremydawg
21-02-2011, 01:43 PM
damn fine info my friend!!! lol, you right about armor all, its the worst!

TheSaint
21-02-2011, 03:23 PM
terrible stuff - its un-australian to even sell it lol

if i can be honest - i still havnt found a desent window cleaner - iv tried everything =/

an honorable mention goes to these products
- Mothers Showtime (quick detail for your paint)
- Mothers Protectant (great stuff for your interior panels/dash)
- Mothers Plastic Power (brings back faded headlights to crystal clear - not that its a major problem for most hondas)
- Autoglym Rubber and Vinyl (for any rubber hoses or trim inside/outside/under the hood)
- Autoglym Bumper Care (takes your faded black exterior trim back to black - and stays black)]
- Maguires Gold Class car wash (great everyday car wash)

jeremydawg
22-02-2011, 06:29 PM
^^^ lawl, i hear ya! my friend used armor all for his dash once, at first it makes it look nice and rejuvinated. Then after a while it made the dash even more dry then before and started to crack lol. super crap product!

Window cleaners suck! they never do anything for me. Although recently my bro got this foam stuff for car windows, he swears by it says its the best. i just cant remember the brand... damn

Cartoon
22-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Claybar is for cleaning the paint's contaminants without harming the clearcoat.. Polish removes a layer of clearcoat.. hence why i said what i said.

I've got a claybar but never had time to use it yet LOL. Oh well.

A good ploish made for clear coat wont remove it. I sware by autoglym stuff personally, do everything by hand and never ever use a carwash place.

jeremydawg
22-02-2011, 06:59 PM
^^^ true, car wash places suck big time! They do such a basic clean, no attention to detail

curtis265
22-02-2011, 09:55 PM
fuk carwashes.

dougie_504
22-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Funny I've been using ArmorAll on my dash/door cards/steering column etc, on both my cars, for several years - no cracks!

But I'll look into Mothers Protectant just coz Saint says so.

For polish I use Sonax, which is a semi-abbrasive - gets rid of some of your little scratches with hard rubbing, but doesn't damage your clear.
I also recommend Nu Finish which recently began production again after demand when it had ceased.

For exterior plastics/trim I use Meguire's Trim Detailer (the best!).
Tyres - generic tyre shiner (spray).
Engine bay hoses - either tyre shiner or trim detailer, but the trim detailer always lasts longer on all surfaces.
Metal - Meguire's Metal Polish. Autosol is overrated.
Windows - that Super Cheap garbage gets the job done.
Degreaser - as above.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k158/dougie_504/CRX/IMG_0612.jpg

Alvis
22-02-2011, 11:17 PM
Nice looking engine bay! Looks very tidy!

BEST way to clean windows is with a wet chamois and then run over it with a terry towel and I GUARANTEE you won't have any streak marks or anything... no need for any fancy window cleaning products here lads...

jeremydawg
23-02-2011, 02:06 PM
went down to autobarn today, got a clay bar kit and some meguars stuff. Super sunny, surely no rain right!? WRONG! Just finished spending 2hrs detailing my car... right when i finish it starts raining!
This isnt the first time either, happens literally every time i wash my car!

Alvis
23-02-2011, 02:08 PM
ha, well at least it rained on a clean car!

Sometimes I get so annoyed when this happens I chamois it down again in the garage :D Only takes 5 minutes and put 2-3 hours in, so worth it IMO!

How did the clay bar go?

jeremydawg
23-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Yeah true lols. I dont have a garage though haha.

Clay bar works so good! im def using it from now on. You can really see on the clay all the crap its taking off. After a full on clean the car looked good, then after claybar it looks new. The rain beads off the car real nice too, It's like watching a female take a shower... only better

Alvis
23-02-2011, 08:13 PM
haha, loving the analogy lol - yeh I put a coat of polish and wax after my claybar, wasn't sure if I needed to but came up nice like you said too :)

+1 for the claybar!

jeremydawg
23-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Thanks moite lawl. Especially when you run your hands along the paint when youve finished, feels like silk! props whoever said to wash animal turd off asap! i didnt notice a real small turd splatter and when i took it off today the clear coat under it went wrinkly! I dont get it, its as if they do it on purpose, i only ever see turd on my car and no where else, if not on my friggin head!!!!
one day in gonna find all the bird nests in Loganholme, take my time to do a massive turd in every one i come across

curtis265
23-02-2011, 09:11 PM
The rain beads off the car real nice too, It's like watching a female take a shower... only better
that's signature material right there

TheSaint
24-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Autoglym Rubber and Vynil Care is really good for engine hoses

Autoglym Bumper Care is great for the black plastic panels on the car - so far better than anything Maguires or Mothers make - lasts a crap load longer

still cant go past Mothers Protectant for your interior tho - that stuff is liquid gold
make sure u use a cleaner to give the surface a quick clean first

dougie_504
24-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Will try, will try :)

Just buy at SCA/Repco/AutoBahn etc?

civicboy
25-02-2011, 09:42 AM
What's the best product to re-store cf hood from deoxidisation?
And where to buy 'em?

Cartoon
25-02-2011, 09:55 AM
i think with the cf your best to get it re/or clearcoated. I think some come with a gelcoat????????

when you understand how all the car care products work to remove scratches and marks and protect your paint you quickly know whats good and crap!. Zemol or something like that is popular as in the states but im yet to try it here. all the NSX owners rave about it, might give it a try once the dc2 paint has settled in.

Cartoon
25-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Will try, will try :)

Just buy at SCA/Repco/AutoBahn etc?

Yep yep any of them places will stock it

dougie_504
25-02-2011, 12:01 PM
i think with the cf your best to get it re/or clearcoated. I think some come with a gelcoat????????

when you understand how all the car care products work to remove scratches and marks and protect your paint you quickly know whats good and crap!. Zemol or something like that is popular as in the states but im yet to try it here. all the NSX owners rave about it, might give it a try once the dc2 paint has settled in.

I have also heard this, but can't remember the exact name.

Cartoon
25-02-2011, 05:57 PM
zymol :)

just googled it. got their own clay bar and stuff to. heard its real good stuff, they have products for specific cars to like the prancing horse uses a speciol paint so they have a set up for that and such.

jeremydawg
25-02-2011, 06:05 PM
Im liking this thread!

What do you guys use for air fresheners? Alot of the stuff out there i dont really like. Although i have been using this stuff called "no vac" you sray it into your carpet. Smells good and works aight

rock3t8oi
25-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Use windowcleaner liquid and some newspaper all the windows, works a charm!

diffuzn
26-02-2011, 03:22 AM
use small amount of acetone to clear out the top layer of the "stained" tail lights / headlights

Cartoon
26-02-2011, 09:46 AM
i find them jap air fresheners work the best :) there a bit pricy but last for ages .

windows are evil! i hate cleaning them lol

curtis265
26-02-2011, 11:41 AM
i have an airfreshener brand called glare. It's japanese and awseome, smells great

jeremydawg
26-02-2011, 02:09 PM
^^^ ill have to look into them! Where can ya buy them?

After the clay bar:
http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z422/jeremydawg/23022011184.jpg?t=1298692862

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z422/jeremydawg/23022011181.jpg?t=1298692862

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z422/jeremydawg/23022011180.jpg?t=1298692862

dougie_504
26-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Got a 'before' shot?

jeremydawg
26-02-2011, 09:23 PM
i forgot to take a before shot lols
looks heaps better though, it does make the paint feel like glass!

Adam2kl4u
27-02-2011, 10:51 PM
I know this is kinda late and shiz but i'll add my 2 cents lol. I use Polyglaze waterless wash with a clean microfibre cloth, then ill go over it with a different clean microfibre cloth to get rid of any mist or anything that i missed. And once a month or so i use autoglym polish. As for my window cleaner i use Polyglaze invisible glass with a microfibre cloth. No streaks or anything. Nice and shiny =) http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17598&d=1295617787

curtis265
27-02-2011, 11:42 PM
^holy fark that's well detailed!

Windows are easy - just dry the chamois really really really well then wipe.

Helps a lot too if you've got a coating of that rain-x stuff

TheSaint
28-02-2011, 01:08 AM
use small amount of acetone to clear out the top layer of the "stained" tail lights / headlights

LOL i think metho would be more than enough ... the acetone is probably removing a small amount of the actual headlight as well haha
thats potent stuff

Mothers Plastic Polish works great for this - on plastic or glass headlights - removes the tinge and stays clear