PDA

View Full Version : Civic EK alarm system recommendations

blastnpast
18-02-2011, 05:29 AM
Hi,

As the title states I am looking into upgrading my current alarm system as it's getting a tad out dated.

Anyone have any reviews for me on their current alarm and the safety rating along with prices they paid for goods and installs?

I've been looking around and most of the places i drop into recommend a brand called mongoose however I think mongoose is like a base brand and have heard some good & bad points about them.

My budget is roughly $500 even but as far as safety is concerned I will pay more as long as it's worth it.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to getting some helpful guides ./

beeza
18-02-2011, 07:11 AM
I think U will be able to find a great alarm at a good price these days but the alarm is only as good as the install (an old saying..)

So if U are truely concerned about theft,U will need to hide the wiring real good etc etc

There's lots of great info on this on the net,

Cheers mate.

blastnpast
18-02-2011, 08:15 AM
Thanks for your reply beeza,

I understand the install should be done correctly and I know a local place which is very good just wanting advice purely on the mongoose system and or other brands used here in AUS :)

Cheers

menacer
18-02-2011, 08:32 AM
hey mongoose is ok but like you ive heard alot of complaints... my personal recommendation is to go with a viper system. i had 1 in my last car and its the only alarm system i've ever liked. most other brands ive had experience with seemed cheaper and when installing them they didnt seem to have the same quality as the viper system. currently a viper system (top of the line) will be out of ur budget but there are still plenty of older models for sale that are in my opinion better then the current offerings from other brands, we currently have one on the shelf at work thats going on sale for 400 this saturday(im hoping no one buys it cause then i might get it cheaper) its got three point immobilization 6 channel remote (1 for lock 1 for unlock 1 for panic 1 for silence and 2 for wat ever you want eg remote start/boot release) it also has a sonar like system so it knows if someone smashes your window. current rrp for this system is (approx) 600 bucks.
hope my little spiel was helpful to some degree, and good luck with choosing a good system and ultimately like beeza said the quality of an alarm is 90% in the install anyway...

beeza
18-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Cheers mate :)

blastnpast
18-02-2011, 09:01 AM
Hey menacer,

I'll be interested in reading up on this alarm system can you please send me the model number so i can learn more about it :)

Cheers! Where do you work?

menacer
18-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Autobarn gympie... N sure if it's still there when I get there tomorro I'll get the number... U could also try googleing viper alarms... There may even be more suitable systems than I know of...

blabla
18-02-2011, 05:01 PM
http://platinumcarsecurity.com.au/viper-5601-1way-security-and-remote-start-system-p-131.html?zenid=b92f97ed4f9207f154f3601833a62259
http://www.soundmaster.com.au/All-Car-Security-Standard-Alarms.asp

Frosty-Civic
18-02-2011, 10:58 PM
did civic ek have its own original alarm?

blastnpast
19-02-2011, 04:15 AM
http://platinumcarsecurity.com.au/viper-5601-1way-security-and-remote-start-system-p-131.html?zenid=b92f97ed4f9207f154f3601833a62259
http://www.soundmaster.com.au/All-Car-Security-Standard-Alarms.asp

Nice the first link was really helpful Viper 5-601 ./

Thanks for everyones feedback and I'm sure the ek would have come with an alarm in most cases (ek4/ek9)

JohnnyWalked
10-03-2011, 04:18 PM
viper is the way to go, next step down would be the mongoose imo, if you're not in a rush to buy an alarm get a viper on ebay, brand new viper alarms from the US cheap as chips compared to the prices over here, python is the same as viper both made from the same company just different names

confirm with the seller that it they have sent it over to australia with no problems because a few years ago viper stopped everyone else from importing it in from overseas cause they were losing money from it lol