PDA

View Full Version : VIC LED Lighting - interior and exterior

NickPieMan
18-02-2011, 01:30 PM
Vic coz I live here but the question is relevant to the whole country

What is the go with Led lighting on cars?

http://www.internationalunity.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/car-2dinterior-2dled-2dlight-small.jpg

That is absolutely gorgeous

I have heard that it is illigal to drive around with decorative lights like that and external neons too. Is that true? Can you have them so that they operate when the car is not being driven? Whats the deal with these things.

They look bloody awesome.

Also, and not an entirely unrelated question - can anyone recommend some stores or websites here in Melbourne that sell these things? I am going to upgrade my headlights and indicator lights at the very least

KillerTofu
18-02-2011, 09:14 PM
got my neons from www.modyourcar.com.au - vegas lighting ones, working GREAT for me.

prepare to get a 'rice' call, ALOT.

and as for laws - it's like having your map light on (as far as i know?) it's not illegal to have it in the car.. it's just a light after all, just don't use it while your driving, especially if its obvious, like that photo you posted, if a cop sees it and pulls you over you'll get done, but if its off and you tell him its just for chillin' at maccas you should be fine lol! that's if he even sees it..

SnowWhiteLude
23-02-2011, 03:53 PM
I was just reading up on this myself, and as far as I know this is the situation in Victoria. This is a summary of the current law in victoria I found elsewhere.

"In 1999 Victoria adopted the National Light and Heavy Vehicle Standards. The current standards for registration, unlike the old, does NOT prohibit the fitment of lamps that are not prescribed.

What they do require, is for vehicles to be fitted with the lamps specified in the standards and the Australian Design Rules (ADR). This means you shouldn't be messing with the headlights etc. In addition, clause 118(2) of the standards allows a vehicle to be fitted with any other lamp or reflector, providing it does not show a RED light to the front a WHITE light to the rear or a light that FLASHES.

With regards to dazzling lights, clause 75 of the Standards stipulates a light (except a high beam head light), fitted to a vehicle must be built and adjusted to provide the necessary amount of light, without dazzling the driver of another vehicle approaching, or being approached by the vehicle.

Additionally, if any light fitted to a vehicle(whether it complies or not) is used to dazzle, or in way or in a way likely to dazzle another road user, then the driver may be charged accordingly. (don't you hate all those people with one headlight that blinds you as they drive the other way)

If a vehicle is fitted with lights in accordance with the standards and used in accordance with the Road Rules Victoria, then the police can take no action. If a light fitted to a vehicle does not comply with the standards then a DEFECT NOTICE may be issued and the driver charged accordingly.

As to the use of FLUORESCENT lights under vehicles and the BLUE lights fitted to vehicle bonnets (windscreen washers or wiper blades), providing they do not dazzle other road users, they are quite lawful"

I believe this is still correct, however convincing the Po Po it is and having them change their mind about slapping a canary on your car might prove a little more difficult.

The definition of "dazzling" lights and what will distract other drivers seems to be the grey area which will cause you the biggest headache as it is up to the interpretation of the officer as to what impact your lighting has on other road users/