PDA

View Full Version : Suitable fuel pump for eg hatch with b18c7?

crobaa
19-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Hi guys, I have a eg breeze hatch with b18c7. The car currently has a bosch 040 external pump, the engine is standard other than exhaust and a pod so I feel this is too large and the car is also running rich. I'd like to swap to a smaller intank pump that is not incredibly noisy like the bosch. Apparently a standard b18c7 pump wont fit in the eg tank, can anybody confirm?

[JDM DC2]
19-02-2011, 11:51 AM
ITR fuel pump fits, I've got one in my EG

crobaa
19-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Itr it is then, is the pump able to handle a few mods? Tune, throttle body etc... Keeping it n/a

[JDM DC2]
19-02-2011, 04:41 PM
it should, but most people tend to upgrade fuel pump and fuel pressure reg once their car is modified to the stage where their going to get a tune

crobaa
19-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Ok thanks for that mate

mugen_ctr
19-02-2011, 08:01 PM
unless ur boosting, running a 040 pump is over kill lol, have u tuned the car yet? maybe thats why, an also, are they factory injectors?

i dont think its ur pump, running rich has nothing to do with fuel pump, ur exhaust an pod has contributed to ur richness, as the car hasnt been tuned for it yet, but i do agree that the fuel pumps are too noisy lol

crobaa
19-02-2011, 11:10 PM
I had the car dyno'd and it is running rich but yeah its just from the intake and exhaust. Engine is totally standard and untuned. itr pump in tank pump it is. Thanks for that.
P.S. I made 114.8kw atws from my b18c7 with exhaust and pod, is that a decent figure?

trism
19-02-2011, 11:45 PM
Afuel pump wont make an injected car run rich.

the fuel pump just supplies fuel to the fuel rail, where the injectors regulate via the ecu how much fuel goes into the cylinders. Any excess fuel gets drained back to the tank.

So an overkill fuel pump will just ensure that the fuel rail is always filled with fuel. if the car is running rich it has to do with the tune, and if youre running a standard ecu, then like said, the exhaust and pod will effect it, running the car rich.

maybe get a VAFC, youll be able to adjust it slightly.

also think about replacing the O2 sensor.

Benson
20-02-2011, 09:36 AM
You'll need an EFI tank with the fuel pump assembly

Send me a PM if you need one

crobaa
20-02-2011, 11:46 AM
is there a way to run an intank pump without fitting a new tank?

DLO01
20-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Intake and exhaust alone will not make the car run richer. If anything it will run it more lean as you are getting more air in to the same fuel. No air flow meter here, MAP sensor.

crobaa
20-02-2011, 02:05 PM
so what do i do to make the car run right? Get something like a safc and tune it? I still want to change the fuel pump as its damn noisy, is there a direct bolt in intank pump?

DLO01
20-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Use the fuel pump that is supposed to be used for your engine with stock ecu. I'd suspect the Bosch FP is a high pressure unit (or at least more than the stock one) and than you are getting higher fuel pressure in the rail, therefore when injectors open your getting more fuel injected in, making it richer. That or if your running an aftermarket ecu, get it tunned to run the Bosch FP.

Benson
20-02-2011, 03:41 PM
so what do i do to make the car run right? Get something like a safc and tune it? I still want to change the fuel pump as its damn noisy, is there a direct bolt in intank pump?

Well the easiest way is to get a tunable ecu. But if you really hate the noise of the external pump, then you need the intank fuel pump set-up which can only be done if you have a EFI tank (From EG GLi, SI, VTI)

crobaa
20-02-2011, 08:08 PM
I see so I need an efi eg tank and a standard dc2 type pump? Pm sent

90LAN
20-02-2011, 08:22 PM
do you have a return line as you have a breeze alot of efi/breeze conversion are dodgy

check your lines

you can use any efi pump from a eg or dc2

mugen_ctr
21-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Use the fuel pump that is supposed to be used for your engine with stock ecu. I'd suspect the Bosch FP is a high pressure unit (or at least more than the stock one) and than you are getting higher fuel pressure in the rail, therefore when injectors open your getting more fuel injected in, making it richer. That or if your running an aftermarket ecu, get it tunned to run the Bosch FP.

couldnt be that, the FPR limits the amount of fuel into the rails, u shouldnt have used a external setup from the start i reckon, i can understand reasons as to, cause of the carby setup previously, but best to use a efi setup from the beginning, an using a internal fuel pump.

If u do plan on track work, id say leave it, an use a surge tank setup, sure it mite smell bad, an sound awful, but well worth it lol

crobaa
21-02-2011, 04:50 PM
I just bought the car last week and it already had the fuel pump setup. The noise is so annoying I cant tollerate it, not to mention always having to explain to everybody what that noise is (people always think the car is a shitbox old civic making weird noises). On the plus side today my boss was walking behind my car, gave it a rev and splattered his legs with black spray lol. I'd rather have the car running less rich, getting better economy, less black smoke, less smell etc... I have a feeling a standard itr pump could still support future mods to a certain extent also.

mugen_ctr
21-02-2011, 08:06 PM
I just bought the car last week and it already had the fuel pump setup. The noise is so annoying I cant tollerate it, not to mention always having to explain to everybody what that noise is (people always think the car is a shitbox old civic making weird noises). On the plus side today my boss was walking behind my car, gave it a rev and splattered his legs with black spray lol. I'd rather have the car running less rich, getting better economy, less black smoke, less smell etc... I have a feeling a standard itr pump could still support future mods to a certain extent also.

is the pump encased in anything? or is it in the cabin? or under the car? if im not mistaken, u are required to encase all External pumps, in the event of fuel leakage and fire

crobaa
21-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Its just mounted underneath the car with a saddle, on the passenger side I guess just infront of the rear wheel, what would suffice as encasing? Would it cause the pump to run hotter thus shortening it's life and would this case reduce the noise from the pump into the cabin?

thanatozz
22-02-2011, 03:44 AM
Its just mounted underneath the car with a saddle, on the passenger side I guess just infront of the rear wheel, what would suffice as encasing? Would it cause the pump to run hotter thus shortening it's life and would this case reduce the noise from the pump into the cabin?

Firstly encasing isn't required in QLD. Externals can just be saddled underneath the car. As for temperatures having free flowing air running over it would be better for cooling than having the hot air sit in an enclosed space.

Please check your low pressure pump. In my car it was ****ed and wasn't putting enough fuel back into the surge tank, meaning at dif points the 040 was sucking air into it. Because it's external it uses the fuel to cool itself down and when it isn't being cooled properly it gets very loud. I dunno if you're just not used to the noise but mine was louder than my exhaust so it was obviously faulty.

crobaa
22-02-2011, 07:27 AM
I used to have an rx2 with external pump and it wasn't this loud, although it was behind the rear wheels underneath the boot floor so maybe that helped?

rotary_snail
22-02-2011, 04:03 PM
As already mentioned, in an EFI system, the pump won't make the car run rich. The fuel regulator is what you need to manage. Check your fuel pressure, and compare it to factory, if it's all ok then you have no problem. If it is too high, then your pump may be outflowing the regulator, in which case it's time to upgrade your fuel reg.

There would be no need for an external fuel pump on a civic though.. Unless you got some big power going on. My car has a t04Z with 4 1000cc injectors and it still only runs an 044 at 3 bar base. Piss the external off, buy a decent intank and you will be set for life.

crobaa
22-02-2011, 04:35 PM
That's the plan ^^^ think the previous owner didn't want to fork out for the efi tank