PDA

View Full Version : A few mechanical repair questions

Psy
19-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Hey guys, I need to change the coolant and fuel filter in my 2004 Accord Euro, but how hard is it to do?

I've changed the coolant in my previous cars but my friends father said that's it's better to give it to a mechanic to change it.

What about the fuel filter? Is it hard to change over? Is it as easy the oil filter? Is there any guides available? Is it better to buy a Honda Fuel filter or are the ones from Super Cheap just as good?

Also another question about the brake disc. Whenever I press the brakes, my steering wheel shakes. I went to a mechanic and they said that it needs to be machined as it's a common problem as the discs can become warped. I think they gave me a figure of around 250, my friends mechanic said around 180... are these the regular prices or can this be done cheaper?

Sorry for the silly questions, thanks guys.

Fredoops
20-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Hey guys, I need to change the coolant and fuel filter in my 2004 Accord Euro, but how hard is it to do?

I've changed the coolant in my previous cars but my friends father said that's it's better to give it to a mechanic to change it.

What about the fuel filter? Is it hard to change over? Is it as easy the oil filter? Is there any guides available? Is it better to buy a Honda Fuel filter or are the ones from Super Cheap just as good?

Also another question about the brake disc. Whenever I press the brakes, my steering wheel shakes. I went to a mechanic and they said that it needs to be machined as it's a common problem as the discs can become warped. I think they gave me a figure of around 250, my friends mechanic said around 180... are these the regular prices or can this be done cheaper?

Sorry for the silly questions, thanks guys.

1. Coolant, are you topping it up or just changing it?
2. Fuel filter removal may require a special tool. Otherwise it's easy
3. Any good brand filter should be okay, you would find some honda dealers dont even use honda filters.
4. Brake discs... for $290 you can buy a brand new set of brake rotors, front and rear (mine were slotted and cross drilled ) from the USA. So machining isn't cheap in comparison.

Psy
20-02-2011, 10:25 PM
I have to completely flush and replace the coolant.

Wow that figure for the brake discs is quite interesting! I might consider changing them completely then if the mechanics are going to charge me those kinds of prices.

The fuel filter, i was reading up on locating it and they mentioned that it's under the boot compartment or something, but was wondering there is any tutorials on the specific model? I remember my old Holdens fuel filter cost me close to $80 to replace, so I feel like I want to change it myself and save some dough.

grifty
21-02-2011, 06:44 PM
i think your fuel filter is in tank, if you have some good mechanical knowledge then do it, it sometimes is abit of a fiddely job.