PDA

View Full Version : Improving DC5 performance (Automatic)

Vyvv
20-02-2011, 03:14 AM
I drive an automatic Honda Integra DC5 Base (Yep its an auto, I'm a P plater flame me later) and I notice at times it can be a bit sluggish - though today may have been due to the heat and high air con on. It was purchased used, stock and recently serviced ..what can I do to enhance performance to the best of an automatic DC5's ability? I'm not looking for "race performance" I just want to get the most out of it. Thanks!

V8KLLR
20-02-2011, 08:02 AM
You've lost alot of power just by it being auto. Ive driven my friends DC5 Luxury. It was very disappointing. With a manual transmission you have alot more control.
Basic things you can do to gain more power are I/H/E.
Intake, headers and exhaust. Purchase a CAI [Cold Air intake] avoid SRI [Short ram intake] because the CAI sucks in colder air as it isnt located within the engine bay. The SRI is basically an esposed pod filter where your airbox would be and is vulnerable to heat soak. Colder air, the particles are more dense and compact, so more air particles. Hot air the air particles move away from eachother, so lesser air particles. Injen is a brand of CAI you can look up. But be wary of hydrolock, thats when alot of water enters your engine through your intake, and damages the internals. Through things suck as flooded roads or large puddles.

Headers or extractors. These extract the exhaust gases from your car. The quicker they can exit the engine the better. 4-2-1 headers were the four exhaust ports merge into two, then one are good for mid range power. 4 to 1 headers are good at top end power, but at the cost of low range grunt. You can have then ceramic coated to trap heat escaping into the engine bay, but its kinda unneccessary if you have a CAI. I wouldnt recommend heat wrapping, I've heard of headers getting warped. This is second hand info.

Last is exhaust. You want a exhaust probably around the 2.25 -2.5 inch mark in diameter the whole way through. Mandrel bent [picture a smooth curvature in the pipe because an exhaust just doesnt go out in a straight line to the canon, you can get an exhaust like that called a straight pipe. But it is REALLY LOUD and cops will get you.] + high flow cat .You need a cat because this neutralises harmful gasses in your exhaust. Not running one of these will get you into trouble. The material should also be taken into consideration. Stainless steel the way to go. With all this your car should rumble and roar at a nice note and your Vtec with the CAI should scream louder. But dont be expecting landslide results. You will get results but you'll be lucky to get 15 kw increase, I think.

u mad?
20-02-2011, 08:06 AM
sell up

buy dc5r/s

V8KLLR
20-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Oh yea forogt to mention look up Timmy_B here on Ozhonda I think thats his name but he has a DC5 and is working it up aswell. Made some very good progress so far.

tiah313
20-02-2011, 08:30 AM
u can do wht v8klla tells you, but u can also try to take out as much weight as u can from the car, maybe space saver, rear seat. but if u dont want to spend 200 for the intake just for a little bit of performance then i think 2.0 liter engine is not for u.

r3ckless
20-02-2011, 08:42 AM
I think the fact that it is a stNdard automatic is a drawback. I drive both a dc5 type s, and a automatic
Luxury version. My suggestion is to not spend a cent on the dc5 as its really a waste being automatic. I've driven the luxury kinda hard ar royal national park, its not that excited, plus it was raining but anyways, if you really like the dc5, maybe consider a manualncobversion. As above, definately check out timmy B's build thread, he has a nice build and im sure it give a few grins to him when driving.

As a mod, maybe consider putting in solid mounts for a bettee drover feedback feel? Also, the dc5 is known for having weak engine mounts, i put hasports in my type s. I reckon a cai, coilovers and solid mounts are the bwst mods to enjoy the dc5( this is comming
From a manualcar standpoint though)

r3ckless
20-02-2011, 08:43 AM
On second thoughts, a coilover system that allows you to lower it considerably will give
You looks and alot better handling.

bennjamin
20-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Its an auto so it cannot ever be more powerful , nor should the poster bother trying.

Sorry mate. You drive a auto because you are lazy , not for performance !
Nothing you can do to make it more powerful. Enjoy it as standard and get a manual as your next car.

Lukey
20-02-2011, 09:14 AM
why didnt you just get a manual in the first place?

KC.
20-02-2011, 11:02 AM
(Yep its an auto, I'm a P plater flame me later) !

i think he's saying there are new rules which say p platers can't drive manuals now??? not sure tho but being a p plater is a good excuse for not driving a manual.

not to be rude though, but u should have just done your manual licence. when you're working up those 100 hours driving a manual car it just feels like the norm so it becomes a peice of cake.
practice practice practice. really simple

though if youre family didn't have any manual cars to practice on it's a bit udnerstandable because u wouldnt want to be paying $30-$50 x100 to drive the instructors manual car

noobcake
20-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Its an auto so it cannot ever be more powerful , nor should the poster bother trying.

Sorry mate. You drive a auto because you are lazy , not for performance !
Nothing you can do to make it more powerful. Enjoy it as standard and get a manual as your next car.

haters gonna hate

Lukey
20-02-2011, 12:38 PM
i think he's saying there are new rules which say p platers can't drive manuals now??? not sure tho but being a p plater is a good excuse for not driving a manual.

not to be rude though, but u should have just done your manual licence. when you're working up those 100 hours driving a manual car it just feels like the norm so it becomes a peice of cake.
practice practice practice. really simple

though if youre family didn't have any manual cars to practice on it's a bit udnerstandable because u wouldnt want to be paying $30-$50 x100 to drive the instructors manual car

they need to know if its manual or auto in nsw when filling out log book?

bennjamin
20-02-2011, 12:40 PM
haters gonna hate

just being frank ! Summing up his situation - before he wastes money on the car with mods that make noise but no power (if not loose power)

Vyvv
20-02-2011, 12:46 PM
LOL @ lazy .. I've got a bike (yep they're manual) - enjoy auto more with cars, haters gonna hate

Vyvv
20-02-2011, 12:49 PM
You've lost alot of power just by it being auto. Ive driven my friends DC5 Luxury. It was very disappointing. With a manual transmission you have alot more control.
Basic things you can do to gain more power are I/H/E.
Intake, headers and exhaust. Purchase a CAI [Cold Air intake] avoid SRI [Short ram intake] because the CAI sucks in colder air as it isnt located within the engine bay. The SRI is basically an esposed pod filter where your airbox would be and is vulnerable to heat soak. Colder air, the particles are more dense and compact, so more air particles. Hot air the air particles move away from eachother, so lesser air particles. Injen is a brand of CAI you can look up. But be wary of hydrolock, thats when alot of water enters your engine through your intake, and damages the internals. Through things suck as flooded roads or large puddles.

Headers or extractors. These extract the exhaust gases from your car. The quicker they can exit the engine the better. 4-2-1 headers were the four exhaust ports merge into two, then one are good for mid range power. 4 to 1 headers are good at top end power, but at the cost of low range grunt. You can have then ceramic coated to trap heat escaping into the engine bay, but its kinda unneccessary if you have a CAI. I wouldnt recommend heat wrapping, I've heard of headers getting warped. This is second hand info.

Last is exhaust. You want a exhaust probably around the 2.25 -2.5 inch mark in diameter the whole way through. Mandrel bent [picture a smooth curvature in the pipe because an exhaust just doesnt go out in a straight line to the canon, you can get an exhaust like that called a straight pipe. But it is REALLY LOUD and cops will get you.] + high flow cat .You need a cat because this neutralises harmful gasses in your exhaust. Not running one of these will get you into trouble. The material should also be taken into consideration. Stainless steel the way to go. With all this your car should rumble and roar at a nice note and your Vtec with the CAI should scream louder. But dont be expecting landslide results. You will get results but you'll be lucky to get 15 kw increase, I think.

Thanks for that mate, very helpful :D

NightKids
20-02-2011, 01:31 PM
He was the only one that didn't turn this into a manual vs auto debate. Nice guy.

Myself on the other hand aren't so nice, so fkn sell up and buy yourself a manual car!

Vyvv
20-02-2011, 01:36 PM
I'm not paying $70 a lesson just to get a manual, I'm happy driving an auto for now.

THEEYA
20-02-2011, 02:16 PM
dont need to pay for lessons, just get a cousin or something with a manual car

charliebrown
20-02-2011, 02:21 PM
I get shit for driving an auto as well... my family didn't have a manual to practice in my Ls. I only did about 5 hours (cousins bf) all up in a manual and was not good enough to pass the test so instructor recommended i just do auto for now. STOP HATIN AUTO'ERS

Indie
20-02-2011, 02:25 PM
What people should be saying is that, while an auto is a valid choice if you want a nice cruiser, it's never going to produce the power you need when you need it, or be as responsive as you'd like. I'd say just be content to cruise until you get your next car, as there really aren't many ways to wring much extra power out of it without it being a waste of money. A turbo Silvia would have been a nice choice.

r3ckless
20-02-2011, 02:36 PM
I get shit for driving an auto as well... my family didn't have a manual to practice in my Ls. I only did about 5 hours (cousins bf) all up in a manual and was not good enough to pass the test so instructor recommended i just do auto for now. STOP HATIN AUTO'ERS

I dont think anyone here is really hating on "auto'ers". THe posts are actually helping the OP realise that modding the (auto) car for power parts is a complete waste of money.

My auto dc5, i have cheap coilovers to ahve it looking nice and also handle better, i have a audio setupu as its a DD/cruiser, i have HID cos it looks better, and ITR wing, wheels to look better. I just ordered last week some ESMM inserts. I had a cracked engine mount and isntead of forking out $600odd dollars fora set of solid mounts, i opted for Energy suspension motor mount inserts as its a MUCH cheaper option, as well as leess vibrations.

charliebrown
20-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Well some people in the thread are helping him by saying he should be working on suspension and aesthetics rather than performance, but others are just plain taking the piss out of those driving autos even though they had no other choice.

Vyvv
20-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Meh I'm happy with it for now anyway ;) At the end of the day I'm not talking about forking out a heap of $$ to try give every inch of power possible I'm more talking about increasing efficiency in an auto car.
But yes at the end of the day I too focus on looks when it comes to my DC5 but also wondered what could be done to increase the efficiency of it too.

(and I literally know 2 mates that have manuals and I'm not asking to borrow their cars for learning.. I'll live with a cruiser for now)