PDA

View Full Version : coilovers hitting calipers on full lock

slow_poke
20-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Hey guys as title states, the part which are attached to my coilovers to the lower control arm are rubbing with my calipers when i have put my steering at full lock when going slow like 5-10km [ When parking/ U turns is most effected]. It's a grinding noise and i am unsure why this is happening. I have a dc2r 5lug conversion on my eg civic and this is also with stock dc2r coilovers.
Does anyone have and ideas?
Any help would be great.

Cheers

1590cc
20-02-2011, 11:54 AM
What.. how is it even possible for coilovers to be touching the calipers..
Tell use more about the car.. rims specs? height wise? camber?

bennjamin
20-02-2011, 12:48 PM
cant be the suspension hitting....gotta be the brake lines etc.
jack up the suspension at the chassis point - and rotate the wheel slowly to see if you can replicate the rubbing/griding.

A mate has this issue - its the LOWER ball joint touching the inner part of the brake disc !

dc2r-0636
20-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Hey guys as title states, my coilovers are rubbing with my calipers when i have put my steering at full lock when going slow like 5-10km [ When parking/ U turns is most effected]. It's a grinding noise and i am unsure why this is happening. I have a dc2r 5lug conversion on my eg civic and this is also with stock dc2r coilovers.
Does anyone have and ideas?
Any help would be great.

Cheers

put full lock when car is parked, (or take off either left or right wheel) and check inside the splash guard. it might be rubbing on the inside, not on the actual fender.

its obvious to see where its been rubbing.

things to consider
- whats the width of your tires ?
- how big are your rims ? (factory spec?)
- also have u gotten a wheel alignment since installing the coilovers ?

if u have addressed these issues and its still rubbing (on the inside of the splash guard), maybe look into 5mm spacers

slow_poke
20-02-2011, 04:17 PM
What.. how is it even possible for coilovers to be touching the calipers..
Tell use more about the car.. rims specs? height wise? camber?

sorry not the coilover, the part attached to the coilover which is attached with the LCA also.

slow_poke
20-02-2011, 04:20 PM
cant be the suspension hitting....gotta be the brake lines etc.
jack up the suspension at the chassis point - and rotate the wheel slowly to see if you can replicate the rubbing/griding.

A mate has this issue - its the LOWER ball joint touching the inner part of the brake disc !

It's the part which is attached to the lca and coilover, there is a small grinded point on the caliper and that part. we first thought it was the position of the brake lines because we just put braided lines in, but then we were shocked. Also at around full lock there is a lack of brake fluid which i would have to pump my brakes, but this occurs at slow speeds like U-turns, parking etc.

slow_poke
20-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Also my rims are stock dc2r rims[ not sure about the specs] with 195/50r15e

Also wheel alignment done more than once

bennjamin
20-02-2011, 04:37 PM
It's the part which is attached to the lca and coilover, there is a small grinded point on the caliper and that part. we first thought it was the position of the brake lines because we just put braided lines in, but then we were shocked. Also at around full lock there is a lack of brake fluid which i would have to pump my brakes, but this occurs at slow speeds like U-turns, parking etc.

what are your brake lines connected to ? sounds like at full lock the brake line is over stretched or kinking....are u sure the brake line is wrapped correctly around your shock ? Often with coilovers , there is no way to connect the brake line properly. Some times all you can do is hold the brake line onto the shock with a couple of big cable ties.

slow_poke
20-02-2011, 05:32 PM
what are your brake lines connected to ? sounds like at full lock the brake line is over stretched or kinking....are u sure the brake line is wrapped correctly around your shock ? Often with coilovers , there is no way to connect the brake line properly. Some times all you can do is hold the brake line onto the shock with a couple of big cable ties.

I'm using the goodridge brake lines they are pretty easy to fit with no complications so i don't think they are the problem, and like i mentioned earlier there is a bit of metal to metal grinding

e240
20-02-2011, 06:38 PM

Does your mate have an EG with a DC2R brake swap?

bennjamin
20-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Does your mate have an EG with a DC2R brake swap?

yup my old one Leonard ! they used my EG6 knuckle with their brake caliper and rotor. It appears to be floating and about 1-3mm negatively offset , resulting in this issue of rubbing the ball joint thread

grifty
21-02-2011, 06:56 PM
pics would be alot better for us to try and help you resolve your problem

slow_poke
21-02-2011, 07:04 PM
pics would be alot better for us to try and help you resolve your problem

Will get some asap.

e240
21-02-2011, 07:56 PM
yup my old one Leonard ! they used my EG6 knuckle with their brake caliper and rotor. It appears to be floating and about 1-3mm negatively offset , resulting in this issue of rubbing the ball joint thread

Yes - I have the same problem. Don't know why - didn't have this issue when I ran the prelude rotors instead of ITR rotors.
Sometimes I think if its all about positioning the lower ball joint properly before bolting it in.