PDA

View Full Version : Recalibrating Speedo

vtc
25-01-2005, 02:39 PM
Ok i think my speedo is out because eevrything i speed past a camera, i never get caught. It seems that my car i slower then what the speedo says. Where do i go to get this fixed and how much approx? In Brisbane preferred.

Thanks

jimmeh
25-01-2005, 06:53 PM
hondas are calibrated 5km slower than the reading

R96P-EJ8
25-01-2005, 07:24 PM
hondas are calibrated 5km slower than the reading
Really??! Can anyone else confirm this?

ECU-MAN
25-01-2005, 08:42 PM
well at least civics and CRXs are, but I dont want yall thinking you can drive faster coz its out, and blame us when you get a fine,

its a fine line when driving with a acurate speedo.

My CRX is -7 kms out, when driving side by side with my mate with a ex cop car with digital readout. and - 5 kms out according to the PGMFI tester

they can be recalibrated.

vtc
25-01-2005, 08:47 PM
yeah, well when you lower a car or change different tyres specs etc it also puts the speedo out of wack doesn it.

What type of shops do i go to, to correct the problem or how much i should expect to pay.

ECU-MAN
25-01-2005, 08:57 PM
you need to check with instrumentation calibration places. they probably would charg you 1 hours labour if you took your cluster to them, hoever if they have to remove it it would cost more.

and yes rolling diammeter of your tyre makes a difference, but with stockies there out.

creativepunka
26-01-2005, 04:24 PM
u can buy a jaycar kit that lets u adjust it your self incase u go different wheels again. its about 40$ i think

Phantasm
26-01-2005, 04:33 PM
my civic reads 10ks over, even tho it is on the original rims and profile size. This means it is reving just under 4k at 105kmh. Dont really know what the problem is there, as final drives and gearing are stock.

panda[cRx]
26-01-2005, 05:00 PM
dotn most cars read over?
i've seen in in a variety of cars on those speed check thingys on the hum hwy etc

JR Performance
26-01-2005, 08:03 PM
Most cars read slightly less than there acctual speed. Final drive ratio changes, overall rolling diameter changes all will change the accuratness of your speedo. Any workshop with a dyno can easily re-calibrate your speedo.

liberx
31-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Most GPS devices can give a speed reading, does anyone know how accurate these are?

I'd assume best for highway driving as they would have to use a number of samples???

PhatSol
31-01-2005, 09:00 PM
Most GPS devices can give a speed reading, does anyone know how accurate these are?

I'd assume best for highway driving as they would have to use a number of samples???

GPS is extreemly accurate for speed measurment. The only limitation is that you need to be driving in a straight line, along a flat road. If you start going around the corner the GPS will indicate a lower speed than actual, because it assumes a straight line between samples. Going over a hill the GPS will not measure change in altitude accuratley, and most units do not factor altitude into the speed calculation anyway. However for highway driving it is brilliant. It is always good to know your actual speed, not some conservative crap from the car speedo :p

vti-r steve
31-01-2005, 10:07 PM
My Civic is -7ks out and a guy on the Honda Car Club Forum with a Euro is also -7 as well :confused:

Yes it does'nt take a speedo expert long to calabrate.

Jaycar idea sounds good for fitting aftermarket wheels but.

:honda: :wave: :honda:

blackdc2
01-02-2005, 10:02 AM
if you want your speedo recalibrated, a place called "true speed instruments" can do it. i think they are in the silverwater area

Mikeyas
03-02-2005, 05:39 PM
how would larger wheels effect the speedo? Plus or minus accuracy..
e.g Would it read less or more than the speedo... so incase i was to go past a camera at the posted speed limit would i be in danger of being flashed if the speedo was reading lower than i was actually goin ? Cause if im going slower than what my speedo says i dont care :P less likely the cops can try ping me for something.

blackdc2
04-02-2005, 08:15 AM
if your rolling diameter is bigger, your speedo will read lower than you are going and vice versa

chaos coupe
04-02-2005, 12:13 PM
same pros wid my coupe..10k i think slower...gettin check at honda dealers

Terry
04-02-2005, 07:26 PM
now i know why i never get freshed by those machines .....:D