PDA

View Full Version : 40k service

itachi-kun
22-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Hey guys,

Is 40k service a major Or minor service? When I look at the log book it seems to be very similar to the previous services. It's for a civic 2008 fd1

Also how much roughly will it cost? I called up local mechanic they told me 40k is a major service as it needs tuning. I was quoted $240. How does this sound?

itachi-kun
23-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Help anyone?

clayton4115
23-02-2011, 03:50 PM
40k is a major service the next major is 80k i had to pay close to $400 for my 40k service.

itachi-kun
23-02-2011, 04:03 PM
What is actually done in the major service? from what I can see on the replacement list, its the usual engine oil and filter plus the air filter elements and pollen filter

clayton4115
23-02-2011, 06:37 PM
probably nothing much, but they charge you and eye and a leg.

boogil
23-02-2011, 09:01 PM
my odo is 80k civic07, replace fuel filter at honda $211.95 and replace the rest DIY cost $50 (oil and oil filter) , total 80k service $261.95. As the air filter I am using K&N filter, so just do a clean up.

rcfd2civic
23-02-2011, 10:11 PM
As i remembered i serviced my car ( fd2 '08) last december for 40K serviced and cost me $565 would you believe it? So anybody who has lower than this are lucky,i had it serviced at honda though. They said thats major service they have to changed this and that, next service will be less then it will go up when you reach 80K.

itachi-kun
24-02-2011, 10:47 AM
I want to bring my own engine oil. What oil viscosity can be used?

ekay1
24-02-2011, 11:32 AM
i used 5W-30. Im pretty sure thats the way to go for our cars

itachi-kun
24-02-2011, 11:59 AM
My mate just told me he used 0W-40

clayton4115
25-02-2011, 04:39 PM
yeah 40k 80k and 100k are major service intervals - i remember being quoted $800 for the 80k service, however my car has only done 60k.

Shimian
27-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Im also up for my 40,000km service in April. As itachi mentioned, the replacement list shows Engine oil, engine oil filter and air cleaner element. Im looking to use my own oil and change to aftermarket spark plugs. Anything else i should do during this service? E.g. Change transmission fluids or brake fluids or...? Im noob to car servicing.

boogil
27-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Im also up for my 40,000km service in April. As itachi mentioned, the replacement list shows Engine oil, engine oil filter and air cleaner element. Im looking to use my own oil and change to aftermarket spark plugs. Anything else i should do during this service? E.g. Change transmission fluids or brake fluids or...? Im noob to car servicing.

no, unless the log book told you so.
to make your life easier you can install one of this http://www.fumoto.com.au/images/draining.jpg

Shimian
27-02-2011, 08:43 PM
cool. cos i plan on keeping the car for a bit so i want to maintain it well. I dont mind spending the extra few bucks to get it in tip top shape

essjemm
26-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Just had a 40000k service on my 06 Vti. Cost $79. No air filter change, I have K&N. No tyre rotation as tyres only 1 week old. Honda wanted over $300.

bigbaby0223
26-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Just take your car down to any reputable workshops for your service. Honda charges way too much.

Shimian
27-03-2011, 08:48 AM
already posted in FD forum. Honda is charging $420 for my first major service (40,000km) without engine oil change cos im bringing my own.

buddah51au
27-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Don't forget Valve adjustment every 40,000km & if you have an Auto it could be advisable to change Auto Trans Fluid

Shimian
27-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Don't forget Valve adjustment every 40,000km & if you have an Auto it could be advisable to change Auto Trans Fluid

The service book states 'valva clearance'. Is this the same as valve adjustment? For auto trans fluid, do i ask them to fully replace with a new bottle?

buddah51au
28-03-2011, 06:14 AM
The service book states 'valva clearance'. Is this the same as valve adjustment? For auto trans fluid, do i ask them to fully replace with a new bottle?

It's the same thing (valve clearance, valve adjustment, tappet Adjustment) As for changing the auto transmission fluid, from memory the FD1 Auto transmission has a total capacity of 6 1/2 to 7 lts, but only about 2 1/2 lts can be changed at 1 time by draining & refilling. I am from the old school of mechanics who change my Auto Fluid every 12 months or 20,000KM. the theory behind this is that by doing this you therefore change the complete capacity of the transmission every 60,000km, but in reality it doesn't work this way as your always mixing new oil with old oil. It is a very simple DIY.

Shimian
28-03-2011, 05:44 PM
It's the same thing (valve clearance, valve adjustment, tappet Adjustment) As for changing the auto transmission fluid, from memory the FD1 Auto transmission has a total capacity of 6 1/2 to 7 lts, but only about 2 1/2 lts can be changed at 1 time by draining & refilling. I am from the old school of mechanics who change my Auto Fluid every 12 months or 20,000KM. the theory behind this is that by doing this you therefore change the complete capacity of the transmission every 60,000km, but in reality it doesn't work this way as your always mixing new oil with old oil. It is a very simple DIY.

ill call and see if they will change the transmission fluids completely. Hopefully they wont charge any extra

sirdistik
03-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Hope i'm not hijacking the thread, i just did the 60,000km service and it was originally about $275, and i told them not to rotate the tyres since it was 2 days old.. price didn't budge. few hours later they called and said the fuel injectors needed cleaning, $200. Does anyone know how much it'd cost and how hard it'd be to clean the injectors yourself?? or even if you took it to another mechanic?

buddah51au
03-04-2011, 10:08 PM
That is called upselling. It would be very rare to see blocked injectors or leaking injector seals @ 60,000km. Basically there are 2 ways to clean injectors - 1. Remove the injectors from the manifold & sublet them to a 3rd party for a (sonic bath) & a flow test. 2. Disconnect the cars fuel line from the manifold & fit a pressurised tin of injector cleaner, start the engine & it will run on the tin of cleaner for several minutes - (this is nowhere near as effective as step 1 as there is no flow test & the injector seals are not replaced). I have upsold to step 2 more times than I care to remember.

On a modern engine injectors should be trouble free for a minimum 100,000km.

sirdistik
04-04-2011, 08:12 PM
That is called upselling. It would be very rare to see blocked injectors or leaking injector seals @ 60,000km. Basically there are 2 ways to clean injectors - 1. Remove the injectors from the manifold & sublet them to a 3rd party for a (sonic bath) & a flow test. 2. Disconnect the cars fuel line from the manifold & fit a pressurised tin of injector cleaner, start the engine & it will run on the tin of cleaner for several minutes - (this is nowhere near as effective as step 1 as there is no flow test & the injector seals are not replaced). I have upsold to step 2 more times than I care to remember.

On a modern engine injectors should be trouble free for a minimum 100,000km.

Son of a b*tch!! Come to think of it, this happens everytime i take it in to service. if it's not the a/c unit needing to be 'cleaned' or the throttle body with too much carbon build up, it's this!!

Everytime, it's always something extra, plus the thing is, I don't feel/see any difference before and after. except when they sprayed that anti-bacterial shit into my a/c, my nose was burning!! it's like breathing in listerine.

Shimian
05-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Son of a b*tch!! Come to think of it, this happens everytime i take it in to service. if it's not the a/c unit needing to be 'cleaned' or the throttle body with too much carbon build up, it's this!!

Everytime, it's always something extra, plus the thing is, I don't feel/see any difference before and after. except when they sprayed that anti-bacterial shit into my a/c, my nose was burning!! it's like breathing in listerine.

this coming service they will check my throttle body if it requires cleaning. I want them to take a photo of it before they commence cleaning (if required). That way i will know if they are trying to squeeze money out of me. If it is legit dirty, i dont mind paying for it.

sirdistik
06-04-2011, 12:00 AM
That's a really good idea. For some reason i've had my throttle body 'cleaned' every 2nd service. they didn't go it this time (cos they got me with the fuel injectors) but i would bet they'll say that it needs cleaning for the next one. There's always something extra.

Didn't someone on this forum put some sort of marking on their fuel filter to see if it was changed and when he checked the invoice, it said it was changed even though the same marking was on the filter?? dunno what the verdict of that was.. if you do read this, do let us know!