PDA

View Full Version : How to work out sub woofer enclosure volume

blabla
22-02-2011, 08:29 PM
hi,

I would like to know how to work out volume from these measurements (Height 358 mm x Length 568mm x Width 238mm) this is for a recommended sub enclosure size for a 12inch sub which i have purchased and it doesnt tell me the liters of what the encloser should be.

Thanks,

arverson
22-02-2011, 08:57 PM
im guessing those are external measurements? if external, then we need to know how thick the mdf is. lets say its using 18mm mdf, then itll be 41L / 1.4 CUFT.

otherwise if internal, and if my maths is correct, then its 48L / 1.7 CUFT.

guess its safe to estimate thats its somewhere between those 2.

blabla
22-02-2011, 09:01 PM
im guessing those are external measurements? if external, then we need to know how thick the mdf is. lets say its using 18mm mdf, then itll be 41L / 1.4 CUFT.

otherwise if internal, and if my maths is correct, then its 48L / 1.7 CUFT.

guess its safe to estimate thats its somewhere between those 2.

this is the link to the manual http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/c/csp1200_00/csp1200_00_dfu_eng.pdf...it does actually say if it internal or external

arverson
22-02-2011, 09:13 PM
meh. like i said, itll be safe to assume its somewhere between 41-48L / 1.4-1.7cuft.

its an entry-level sub with a prefabricated sealed enclosure.. you're not gonna hear much difference whether its a 41 or 48L box. just chuck it in your car & enjoy it.

if you still wanna be anal then unscrew the sub, get out a ruler & take more measurements. not that hard.

blabla
22-02-2011, 09:21 PM
meh. like i said, itll be safe to assume its somewhere between 41-48L / 1.4-1.7cuft.

its an entry-level sub with a prefabricated sealed enclosure.. you're not gonna hear much difference whether its a 41 or 48L box. just chuck it in your car & enjoy it.

if you still wanna be anal then unscrew the sub, get out a ruler & take more measurements. not that hard.

still going to be better then my JL audio sub 12w1v2.. stupid 150-175wrms recommended crap....

blabla
23-02-2011, 08:29 AM

Ok so i have found out that the measurement are actually internal.... :D Does aeropro an other box manufactures build a pre fab box in 48L/1.7cu. ft. or will i have to get a custom made one.

arverson
23-02-2011, 09:17 AM
??

if those are internal measurements then its already 48L/1.7cuft....

obviously a bit less if you account for sub displacement, but its still the size you wanted.

i could model the sub in winisd then recommend an 'optimum' box, but the sub doesnt have any t/s specs.. says a lot about the quality.. not sure how much of an upgrade you're looking for from the jl w1. itll be like upgrading to a base model ek from a base model eg

blabla
23-02-2011, 12:14 PM
??

obviously a bit less if you account for sub displacement, but its still the size you wanted.

i could model the sub in winisd then recommend an 'optimum' box, but the sub doesnt have any t/s specs.. says a lot about the quality.. not sure how much of an upgrade you're looking for from the jl w1. itll be like upgrading to a base model ek from a base model eg

jl w1=150wrns nom no guts whats so ever..
csp1200 = 400wrms nom

my old vibe blackair mkII that like 5yrs old is better then the w1 tighter and cleaner bass. mind you both subs are in a ported box. the blackair isnt mine anymore...

blabla
23-02-2011, 12:17 PM
??

sorry only a noob t/s specs?

arverson
24-02-2011, 04:43 PM
electromechanical specs, or 'thiele/small' parameters. things like vas, qts, qtc, fs, etc that werent mentioned in the manual. but dont worry bout em mate. just keep it in your current box and enjoy.

tho theres one thing you shouldve learned by now after your vibe, jl & now a philips sub: buy once, buy right. with all the money you spent on em, you couldve just got 1 great sub in the first place instead of replacing em with mediocre ones. oh well

blabla
24-02-2011, 06:57 PM
electromechanical specs, or 'thiele/small' parameters. things like vas, qts, qtc, fs, etc that werent mentioned in the manual. but dont worry bout em mate. just keep it in your current box and enjoy.

tho theres one thing you shouldve learned by now after your vibe, jl & now a philips sub: buy once, buy right. with all the money you spent on em, you couldve just got 1 great sub in the first place instead of replacing em with mediocre ones. oh well

have not installed it or got a box for it as yet.