PDA

View Full Version : Euro for first car

yeahSCOTTT
22-02-2011, 08:58 PM
im thinking about an 03 or 04 euro for a first car. what are some positives and negatives? thanks in advance

Simonnn
23-02-2011, 09:25 AM
The Euro was/is my first car :D IMO a great first car to have.. just to list a few points from my perspective:

PROS:

SAFE!
has like 50 airbags and VSA, ABS etc.. very good to have these things as a new driver on the roads

LUXURY!
the amount of luxuries you get for the price of a second hand CL9 euro is ridiculous

LOOKS!
Aesthetically, the euro is still a great looking car on the roads.. in comparison to a lot of the other cars you get in the price range which look quite dated in comparison

RIDE!
The car handles decently for a mid sized 4 door sedan yet retaining a comfortable ride. It also reacts very positively to suspension mods.. I remember best motoring mentioned the Euro chassis has more potential than the DC5

CONS

Its not a DC5R/S2000
It'll never be a sports car no matter how hard you try to make it one

So really, know what you want.. if you want a nice comfortable car with luxuries go the Euro.. if you want something raw and fast look elsewhere! (not to say that the Euro isn't a fun car).

Hope this somewhat helps :wave:

Tekkenforce
23-02-2011, 09:55 AM
just make sure you find agood condition one the older model have problems with the power steering hose etc.
which is pretty costly to fix, other than that it'll be a great first car. enough power for daily duties.

yeahSCOTTT
23-02-2011, 10:08 AM
The Euro was/is my first car :D IMO a great first car to have.. just to list a few points from my perspective:

PROS:

SAFE!
has like 50 airbags and VSA, ABS etc.. very good to have these things as a new driver on the roads

LUXURY!
the amount of luxuries you get for the price of a second hand CL9 euro is ridiculous

LOOKS!
Aesthetically, the euro is still a great looking car on the roads.. in comparison to a lot of the other cars you get in the price range which look quite dated in comparison

RIDE!
The car handles decently for a mid sized 4 door sedan yet retaining a comfortable ride. It also reacts very positively to suspension mods.. I remember best motoring mentioned the Euro chassis has more potential than the DC5

CONS

Its not a DC5R/S2000
It'll never be a sports car no matter how hard you try to make it one

So really, know what you want.. if you want a nice comfortable car with luxuries go the Euro.. if you want something raw and fast look elsewhere! (not to say that the Euro isn't a fun car).

Hope this somewhat helps :wave:

Alright thanks for the help. But when you say it's not raw and fast do you mean that it's slow? Will the euro be able to keep up with a new type r?

Simonnn
23-02-2011, 10:18 AM
The Euro is a family car, the "new type r" is a sports car.. the Euro has decent power for what it is (particularly if you get a manual one), but theres a reason its not called the Euro Type-R! (unless you get a Euro-R, but thats another story.. and they aren't available here in Australia :P).

yeahSCOTTT
23-02-2011, 10:28 AM
I know that it's meant to be a family car and Im planning on getting a manual but I want a car that can beat commodores lol (not that I condone hooning) will a euro go harder than a commodore and how easy is it to have the ecu flashed with something like hondata in aus?

white_ep3_civic
23-02-2011, 10:46 AM
A euro will give a v6 a decent go but dunno if it will beat it. I had a ep3r before that smashed v6's and some v8's. If it's power you want don't get a euro.

tony1234
23-02-2011, 11:24 AM
I know that it's meant to be a family car and Im planning on getting a manual but I want a car that can beat commodores lol (not that I condone hooning) will a euro go harder than a commodore and how easy is it to have the ecu flashed with something like hondata in aus?

Firstly buy a manual.Then mod in this order.Suspension(shocks/springs or coilovers),front brake pad upgrade,RSB,headers,intake,piggyback ECU.(i have Haltec interceptor)

Tekkenforce
23-02-2011, 12:36 PM
FYI my euro kept up with my mates holden sv6, until 4th gear then he started to pull away lol. but
keep in mind my euro is auto, manual will go harder than the auto's .

best is to go and test drive one yourself, see if you like how it drives and all. not much power but enough as its torquey.

white_ep3_civic
23-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Firstly buy a manual.Then mod in this order.Suspension(shocks/springs or coilovers),front brake pad upgrade,RSB,headers,intake,piggyback ECU.(i have Haltec interceptor)

Agreed this will make it heaps fun to drive.

tony1234
23-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Agreed this will make it heaps fun to drive.

It does.These are obviously the mods i have.Most gains were with the headers and the Haltech.With the Haltech i now have vtec crossover at 5200RPM down from 6000.

white_ep3_civic
23-02-2011, 07:13 PM
I had intake/header/cat back/high flow cat and greedy e-manage and it was fun. Also had front strut/coil overs/rear sway bar and it was a brilliant set-up. Sold car now but good fun.

biee2
23-02-2011, 08:33 PM
the euro is a really good first car as it is my first car aswel. and even though sometimes i wish i had gotten a rex or evo...which i was considering at the time i choose the euro for its fine looks and ride comfort. when it came down to it....i would always go bak to the euro as its a nice car to cruise in. power wise its not the fastest car but can still put up a good run.

and yesh i believe that the euro can take on normal v6's coz i have beaten my friends holden s-pack so many times when i use to study with him.

Fredoops
23-02-2011, 11:02 PM
If you buy a manual euro, then youd have to pay for the necessary tlc. then do the above mentioned mods... Thats like 4-5k... You are pushing the cost of an integra (type r if you are lucky).

Just keep that in mind.

Type R Positive
23-02-2011, 11:12 PM
CL9's are nice true mid sized sedans. My CU2 is a porker compared to my old CL9, and I miss the smaller size.
I had a brand new '04, and had zero probs with it. It chewed about 12L/100kms with me driving like a wanker, and about 8-9L/100kms on the highway.
It will chop up the 6's the same age too, to the speed limit of course lol!

Mazda 6 and Subaru Liberty are the other two to look at, but the Honda was the better car. Unless you get a GT-B!

cheapdouchebag
24-02-2011, 12:08 AM
if your getting a euro for your first car, and ur still on p's, imo one of the best cars to get and im in the same boat as you (technically my euro issent my first car but sure feels like it!)
enjoy it. best n comfortable car for all ye mates, n has a little bit of go.
n no popo's will annoy you about the car
omg
i love my euro

yeahSCOTTT
24-02-2011, 01:53 PM
alright thanks for the help guys!

simmy
03-11-2011, 04:17 PM
welcome abourd!

you got no money for an em1 so euro is a no go

Bludger
03-11-2011, 04:42 PM
lol...

troll bad

worse that me

Thor
03-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Currently my first car only been driving alone since last wednesday! awesome first car so far give it a good belting here and there nothing to extreme but im satisfied with what it does.

marquee
03-11-2011, 09:12 PM
Currently my first car only been driving alone since last wednesday! awesome first car so far give it a good belting here and there nothing to extreme but im satisfied with what it does.

And thats y i avoid red p platers at all cost

Symphorced
03-11-2011, 09:22 PM
And thats y i avoid red p platers at all cost

LOL. sif you don't give it a fair belting all the time.

marquee
04-11-2011, 06:25 AM
Lol ive been driving for a bit longer then a week

jzx_andy
04-11-2011, 11:39 PM
Lol ive been driving for a bit longer then a week

because everyone that thrashes their first car within a week of getting their licence is going to wrap themselves around a pole, right?

do you write segments for TT/ACA by any chance?

Thor
05-11-2011, 08:55 AM
haha ill admit im no experienced drive by a long shot but ey you gotta have fun while you can before you get too old and dont give a crap anymore...

marquee
05-11-2011, 10:11 AM
because everyone that thrashes their first car within a week of getting their licence is going to wrap themselves around a pole, right?

I dont care if they wrap themselves around a pole doesnt do me any damage but i dont want them to hurt my car or the people in it

mrgu
05-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Euro is great fun to drive...if you are buying a manual...get the limited edition..saves you 3k on getting the euro r kit,

MingZai
05-11-2011, 11:04 PM

To be fair to marquee... hes got a fair point.

Yes we can't come to the assumption most drivers who just got their P's will be wrapping their around a pole due to them hooning around and belting it here or there. I actually know a guy who participated in events such as World Time Attack and such and he only got his P's not long ago. It's just most drivers who do do that are mostly inexperienced drivers who most likely forged the 120 hours.
And yes I did the full 120 hours with nor forging.

Just as long as your confident in the way you drive and you know the consequences if something was to happen then yeah why not give it a thrashing but just make sure you don't harm innocent pedestrians or other drivers out on the roads.