PDA

View Full Version : VIC A-Pillar gauge mounting?

SnowWhiteLude
23-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Can anyone confirm what the relevant legislation is on this? So far I have found that as long as it doesnt interfere with my forward field of vision I cant mount whatever I like 'outside' of my vehicle in terms of position, however I have varying reports on mounting them on the A pillar.

If someone can give me the relevant law/reg from vicroads that would be great.

I have a universal triple gauge moulded mount which attaches to my A pillar but would prefer to sell that prior to using it and mounting gauges if it means I am just going to have to remove it if/when I get defected.

Cheers

honda_zivic
23-02-2011, 04:49 PM
gauge must be lower than ur dash. above ur dash is full stop illegal and u will get pin 4 it. even gps on pillar or windscreen which is high enough is a defect.
been der done it.

KillerTofu
23-02-2011, 05:30 PM
^ he's right.

but i find youll get away with it, it doesn't obstruct your forward vision.

that being said, if the cop is in a dickish mood, and cant find anything else, hell probably find it.

but i think you'll be fine, as long as it doesnt stick out much, which i doubt, dont forget to turn off your car when you get pulled over aswell so they're not shining aswell!

WATAJK
23-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Can anyone confirm what the relevant legislation is on this? So far I have found that as long as it doesnt interfere with my forward field of vision I cant mount whatever I like 'outside' of my vehicle in terms of position, however I have varying reports on mounting them on the A pillar.

If someone can give me the relevant law/reg from vicroads that would be great.

I have a universal triple gauge moulded mount which attaches to my A pillar but would prefer to sell that prior to using it and mounting gauges if it means I am just going to have to remove it if/when I get defected.

Cheers

I have 2 gauges on my A-Pillar, no dramas with them touch wood.
Major defect if theres no sandwitch plate between the gauges lines due to the fact you wouldn't want HOT oil bursting in your car.
Minor defect if there IS a sandwtich plate & the gauges are electronic.

Drive with no fear, don't worry about a defect and you'll be fine trust me..
The more you worry about it, the more likely you'll get a fine, trust me.

When you get pulled over regarding them, be nice, courtious and polite, always works... Been there, done that.

But yes, highly illegal, make sure you have a sandwitch plate, i've heard of horror stories with oil spraying on people..

SnowWhiteLude
25-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Thanks people! Sandwich plate will be being used Watajk, that's for sure.

that being said, if the cop is in a dickish mood, and cant find anything else, hell probably find it.

I hear ya. The forward vision rule is fairly easy to adhere to, and I cant see how a gauge is any different in that sense to a hood scoop, aerial, or any other item that is added to a vehicle - but I am sure that if I get the right officer he will be happy to explain why I am wrong and give me a sticker.

Does anyone know what the actual place to find the regulation so I can have a look at it? I have trawled through vicroads and national road website but cant find anything related directly to this.

I know this has happened to many people with gauges mounted above the dash, but apart from the excuse of saying it will cause an issue during an impact (which adding mirrors to your car will also but is legal) i cant find any legislation directly to the illegailty of of it.

honda_zivic
25-02-2011, 12:47 PM
dude any sht above ur dash is a defect. stop trying to fight it coz u wont win, cops will always win and rape u.

u wont find any info about them gauges on vic roads.

WATAJK
25-02-2011, 11:05 PM
Thanks people! Sandwich plate will be being used Watajk, that's for sure.

I hear ya. The forward vision rule is fairly easy to adhere to, and I cant see how a gauge is any different in that sense to a hood scoop, aerial, or any other item that is added to a vehicle - but I am sure that if I get the right officer he will be happy to explain why I am wrong and give me a sticker.

Does anyone know what the actual place to find the regulation so I can have a look at it? I have trawled through vicroads and national road website but cant find anything related directly to this.

I know this has happened to many people with gauges mounted above the dash, but apart from the excuse of saying it will cause an issue during an impact (which adding mirrors to your car will also but is legal) i cant find any legislation directly to the illegailty of of it.

dude anything that isn't ADR approved is illegal to let you know =)
Want it to be legal? Get a engineer to sign off on it. Done.

u mad?
26-02-2011, 04:24 AM
doesnt mean shit, can and will still get deffected even with an eng cert^

someone make this guy red

WATAJK
26-02-2011, 01:43 PM
doesnt mean shit, can and will still get deffected even with an eng cert^

someone make this guy red

what u on dude...
engineer certficate makes that modification on your car comply to ADR standards which means when you go to vicroads with that defect, they will just laugh at it and remove it.
Any fines that you had been given are removed against your name. Seen it happen with my mates S15

honda_zivic
26-02-2011, 01:56 PM
spot on about getting it cleared straight away, but theres no chance of engineering gauges on pillar. wont happen.

main point is jsut engineer engine swaps or mods on it.

WATAJK
26-02-2011, 02:10 PM
spot on about getting it cleared straight away, but theres no chance of engineering gauges on pillar. wont happen.

main point is jsut engineer engine swaps or mods on it.

Correct.. No-one will engineer gauges on the A-pillar lol..
JDM S15 causes with that as factory though yummy... lol

honda_zivic
26-02-2011, 02:16 PM
my cuzin has a jdm s15, and cops told him to removed the factory gauges hahaha.

dont the importers removed the gauges on the pillar to compliy with adr to get RWC and then put it back on for ya?.lol
mates told me.

WATAJK
26-02-2011, 02:44 PM
my cuzin has a jdm s15, and cops told him to removed the factory gauges hahaha.

dont the importers removed the gauges on the pillar to compliy with adr to get RWC and then put it back on for ya?.lol
mates told me.

tbh i don't know lol...
But you could claim that it is a item that is originally from the maunfactorer....
So it could possibly save you due to the fact i was told by highway patrol and TMU officers that unless it comes factory standard, it's illegal.. Go figure!

SnowWhiteLude
28-02-2011, 09:08 AM
dude any sht above ur dash is a defect. stop trying to fight it coz u wont win, cops will always win and rape u.

Not fighting it DUDE, trying to locate the rules DUDE. TIs that simple enough for ya? So you are saying they are none or you have no idea what they are?

I am not disagreeing that mounting things on your A pillar MAY attract a canary but WHAT LEGISLATION are they/will they charge me under?

Look if you cant actually answer my question then why reply? K Brah? Geez....

honda_zivic
28-02-2011, 04:20 PM
theres none regulation on vic roads site.

i went cop station and vic roads and ask if gauges on the pillar and they said anything on d pillar is illegal even gps device.(anything that ur face will hit during a accident)

when u have a accident they will point that out and the insurance refuse to pay u out. simple.
i been der done it thats y im telling u.geez

aight Holmes.

honda_zivic
28-02-2011, 04:26 PM
u will earn a major yellow sticker when cops get u.

if u dont believe me go in vic roads and tell em come out and have a look at ur car or go cop station.

KillerTofu
28-02-2011, 07:03 PM
yeah, cause he's going to just go to the police station to TEST if something will pass for legal, good job.

you're not helping this thread at all, OP said NOTHING about fighting the cop over it, he was probably trying to do the opposite, and find out what the consequences of getting done by a cop are,go troll somewhere else.

honda_zivic
28-02-2011, 09:50 PM
geez not helping? i just type all da shit he needs to know.
i got done with gauges on pillar and gauges on da bonnet few years ago, INSTANT DEFECT.
i ask the cop why? he said gauges mounted on the pillar are a obstruct to ur visions and when u have a impact ur head hit its.
then went to vic roads told em to come out and have a look to confirm it and THEY SAID ILLEGAL!!!!!

what else do u want to know ffs. its pretty much straight forward.

op just trying to help but if u wana be **** then GL.

u wont find any info on that on vic roads.

SnowWhiteLude
01-03-2011, 03:39 PM
INSTANT DEFECT? THEY SAID ILLEGAL!!!!!

Right - so you are aware it is illegal/defect able. I already had a fair idea that it was. Thanks for telling me that four time in the last four posts. I got that part. In fact I knew that before I posted.

What I wanted to know is under what ADR rule is it illegal. Clearly you have NFI where this is. You have also said that clearly in your last three posts.

I know I shouldn't feed trolls, but this one seems like it aint been fed for a while and is rather hungry.

I think it is under ADR 18 or 21 however these both appear to be relating to stock instrumentation.

honda_zivic
01-03-2011, 04:18 PM
its not listed on vicroads but its falls in the same category as bonnet scoops and external gauges. as wat vic roads said last time bcoz i ask em how come pillar gauges arent listed and they said its the same as bonnet scoops n shit category.

KillerTofu
02-03-2011, 10:06 AM
so basically what you're saying is, it's not a law but it's illegal?

i lol'd.

honda_zivic
02-03-2011, 01:19 PM
i dont get u, its the same as bonnet scoop regs.

KillerTofu
02-03-2011, 03:35 PM
they can't just say it falls under that law, i would assume if it doesn't say something about it, it's not illegal..

WATAJK
02-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Dude, at the end of the day, your a peasant in the system.
The cop is the "almighty tax collector" and were just the peasants who pay the taxes, look at it like that and you will realize that any modification is classified Illegal UNLESS it's ADR.
If not ADR, it is defectable but hell i don't care about ADR shit anymore, if you don't bend the rules slightly, you'll never enjoy life!!

Have no fear driving with modifications (just don't drive like a dick) and you should be right!!
Cop's don't generally pull you over UNLESS you've done something wrong OR your asking for the attention.

Trust me, i know this.
Lost my license twice and im well on my way to my third suspension in just 2 years of driving so i have the experience to tell you (not saying that my record is a good thing, but the things you learn and the way you deal with cop's come in good use though =))
By the way, never received a defect though LOL...

Oxer
02-03-2011, 11:38 PM
every post in this thread is ridiculous.

Vic roads website does not have every single road/vehicle rule/law on their website, nor does victoria police.

A cop can defect and fine you for whatever they see fit, If you have an engineers they can still defect you, and if your car has been modified after the engineers cert (Dont laugh, it has been done) you still have to pay the fines given.

Grozzo, a wise man once told me, never trust someone who says "trust me". Loosing points and suspended licences have nothing to do with defects, as you dont loose points for them, so for you to say that you have experience dealing with cops, under the circumstances of a defect is meaningless.

To everyone else, If you are instaling something that didnt come with the car as it was from factory, You can be defected. If you dont want to deal with the fines, or the headaches, then dont modify your car. Simple.

PS. Gauges, on a mildly worked street car? Pffft.

honda_zivic
02-03-2011, 11:44 PM
wat watajk said is tru, just dont drive it like u stole it u be aight. i drove my car daily for 3yrs with bonnet gauges, slam on 19s an got pulled over by cops like 3 times a week,and most of them didnt give a shit about the mods, their just doing their regular checkup but some do give me a warning saying u must removed it asap, and i just say yea sure. and then u got the dickheads cops just pining u 4 anything.

SnowWhiteLude
03-03-2011, 01:59 PM
so basically what you're saying is, it's not a law but it's illegal?

i lol'd.

Sounds like something from The Castle!

i dont get u, its the same as bonnet scoop regs.
Bonnet scoop / external mount gauges are set out clearly - these are to ensure you can see over the bonnet and to ensure whatever is there doesnt pose a danger incase you hit someone. I cant understand why those factors (apart from visibility from INSIDE the cabin) would apply, but I can honestly believe thats what they said to you.

every post in this thread is ridiculous. Vic roads website does not have every single road/vehicle rule/law on their website, nor does victoria police.
PS. Gauges, on a mildly worked street car? Pffft.

Having gauges on a car that isn't fully sik isn't to your liking Oxer? Is there an ADR stating the HP/KWs one needs to be pushing in order to make gauges required? Perhaps you could start a facebook group to outlaw over-sized rear spoilers on FWD Honda's as they add little to performance too! I think this is more of an abomination to mankind than a volt/oil pressure/AFR gauge inside my cabin, thanks for letting me know your view though - each to their own I guess.

As for the rules not being on the website - I guess that was the main reason to start the thread - as I understood people had been defected and thought MAYBE someone knew where the actual LAW/RULE was which I couldn't locate, so I could read it and find out what the the law was surrounding having gauges - that would make sense wouldn't it?

Seriously I understand cops can, will, and no doubt continue to defect cars for what seems like whatever they like. Unfortunately I am a law student, and I understand that without an action actually being able to be proven illegal by citing the relevant legislation and that my actions broke those rules/laws, unfortunately, the charges/defects cant be proven - so please don't bother responding "cops can just defect ya' cause they can braahhhhh, and 'cause jimmy and my cousins and shit had it happen, and 'cause I just know k just trust me!" - that shit is useless. I am trying to understand what the law is and what are the parameters it sets out. Clearly no one knows and this was undoubtedly the wrong place to ask such a simple friggin question.

Seriously this thread is a prime example why I don't post on OzHonda much at all.

stndrd
03-03-2011, 03:56 PM
you need to realise first that ADR's are designed primarily for brand new cars being sold on the market and then each state and territory has their own set of rules from there.

in victoria you can get away with having gauges on your A-pillar provided that the gauge itself when sitting in the drivers seat, doest not obstruct field of vision. i run two drift digital gauges in drift cups on my A-pillar and have been pulled over several times with them and have never been told off for them. i went thru the vicroads guide to modifications and it does not state anything about A-pillar gauges (there is a whole section on bonnet mounted gauges but im not going there)

with these stories you hear of people getting oil all over them when they are driving, it's because they didn't have all their weetbix that morning and decided to put a mechanical guage in the cabin (which is FULLY ILLEGAL BRO)

in regards to engineers certificate, it is like a rwc, it only last for 28 days so thats why you would have been defected by mr plod.

and if you are going to start arguing about defect/rwc laws and put a nissan in the same sentance, you have already made a mistake. nissan's are easy targets for the police because they all get told what to go after on nissans (along with most of the turbo cars that are used for slideways action)

mugen_ctr
03-03-2011, 04:53 PM
you need to realise first that ADR's are designed primarily for brand new cars being sold on the market and then each state and territory has their own set of rules from there.

in victoria you can get away with having gauges on your A-pillar provided that the gauge itself when sitting in the drivers seat, doest not obstruct field of vision. i run two drift digital gauges in drift cups on my A-pillar and have been pulled over several times with them and have never been told off for them. i went thru the vicroads guide to modifications and it does not state anything about A-pillar gauges (there is a whole section on bonnet mounted gauges but im not going there)

with these stories you hear of people getting oil all over them when they are driving, it's because they didn't have all their weetbix that morning and decided to put a mechanical guage in the cabin (which is FULLY ILLEGAL BRO)

in regards to engineers certificate, it is like a rwc, it only last for 28 days so thats why you would have been defected by mr plod.

and if you are going to start arguing about defect/rwc laws and put a nissan in the same sentance, you have already made a mistake. nissan's are easy targets for the police because they all get told what to go after on nissans (along with most of the turbo cars that are used for slideways action)

And they know hondas are too slow to pull away so they just dont bother with em LOL...

The only reason u would run mech gauge is if u run a old skool muscle or a very simple car mechanical vehicle, simple as that! I laugh at those who run gauges on the bonnet, do they even know the reason as to gauges on the bonnet? Tossers....

honda_zivic
03-03-2011, 05:12 PM
i used to hav em on bonnet, took it off cause too many holden ****s started copying me. and mounted them on pillar instead.

dont know y people hate gauges, there good for monitoring ur engine condition, and stock gauges arent that great and they tend to bail sooner or later.

mugen_ctr
03-03-2011, 05:22 PM
theres a good reason as to gauges on bonnet.... reason being is that back in the old days, before electrical gauges, having oil pressure run in cabin is very dangerous, so the only solution was to run them on the outside, and on the bonnet as it was the only place where its visible to the driver, and getting a oil pressure/temp signal was much easier than say tryna run it in cabin

honda_zivic
03-03-2011, 05:30 PM
yep thats exactly y i ran em external instead of inside the cabin. but i have sold em gauges and bought electrics.

WATAJK
03-03-2011, 06:01 PM
Oxer - question LOL have i met you before ?? Cause im wondering how you know my name LOL!!
I can understand where your coming from and ill take that on board and say your 100% correct with the matter that i don't have the experience when i comes to dealing with defects.
I understand you would as i've heard of your civic & stories with the "men in blue", i feel for ya, i really do.

---------------------------------------------

I run Oil Pressue & Temp gauges for the sole reason to monitor these when doing spirited driving through hills etc or when i attend the track (which i will do hopefully this year), i don't have them for bloody show.
As i said, you wanna run them, run them electronically so you avoid a MAJOR defect and 2 just don't drive like a dick seriously.
Enough said.

stevo716
03-03-2011, 07:44 PM
sry to go off topic a lil
but this is wat i did,
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w23/stevo716/gauges.jpg
i personally dont like the A pillar mounting, 1 i always smack my hand on it somehow, and 2, looks shit imo
just to add mine rnt for show either, u like to know wats going when ur tracking a car, diff enviroment
plus i can hide mine close the glovebox hehe(i got 2 glove boxes btw
and i can also see them very clearly from drivers seat

Oxer
04-03-2011, 01:03 AM
Having gauges on a car that isn't fully sik isn't to your liking Oxer? Is there an ADR stating the HP/KWs one needs to be pushing in order to make gauges required? Perhaps you could start a facebook group to outlaw over-sized rear spoilers on FWD Honda's as they add little to performance too! I think this is more of an abomination to mankind than a volt/oil pressure/AFR gauge inside my cabin, thanks for letting me know your view though - each to their own I guess.

As for the rules not being on the website - I guess that was the main reason to start the thread - as I understood people had been defected and thought MAYBE someone knew where the actual LAW/RULE was which I couldn't locate, so I could read it and find out what the the law was surrounding having gauges - that would make sense wouldn't it?

Seriously I understand cops can, will, and no doubt continue to defect cars for what seems like whatever they like. Unfortunately I am a law student, and I understand that without an action actually being able to be proven illegal by citing the relevant legislation and that my actions broke those rules/laws, unfortunately, the charges/defects cant be proven - so please don't bother responding "cops can just defect ya' cause they can braahhhhh, and 'cause jimmy and my cousins and shit had it happen, and 'cause I just know k just trust me!" - that shit is useless. I am trying to understand what the law is and what are the parameters it sets out. Clearly no one knows and this was undoubtedly the wrong place to ask such a simple friggin question.

Seriously this thread is a prime example why I don't post on OzHonda much at all.

Dude, this is Ozhonda, not Ozroadlaws.com. There are very few people that actually know where to find laws, let alone know them. Hell I havent even bothered looking into it because to be honest, I pay the fines and clear the defect, then do it all over again. Its part of the game.

If you study law, then you should have the resources to be able to find the information you are after, rather then reffering to a silly car forum I suggest you use said resources.

I dont have facebook, but feel free to start whatever group you feel the need to. The way I see it, unless you are running full forged internals and itb's/forced induction, are making huge amounts of power and have spent tens of thousands under the bonnet, you dont need to know what your oil pressure is, or how many volts are running through your electronics. Feel free to comment on how a car doesnt have to be low or have large wheels ;) Pretty sure Ill keep doing what Im doing and you will keep doing what you are doing.

Im pretty sure there is a clause somewhere along the lines where a member of the police force can defect a vehicle if they are uncertain on the roadworthyness of the vehicle as they are not qualified, trained mechanics, and merely read what they are supposed to look for in a hand book. So YES, Cops can defect you for anything, that they see unfit.

You have 28 days to register the certificate with vicroads, but once you have, it applies to your vehicle for the rest of its existence, unless you further modify the vehicle, which renders the certificate invalid, in which case you will need to re-engineer your car.

Its not like a RWC.

Oxer - question LOL have i met you before ?? Cause im wondering how you know my name LOL!!
I can understand where your coming from and ill take that on board and say your 100% correct with the matter that i don't have the experience when i comes to dealing with defects.
I understand you would as i've heard of your civic & stories with the "men in blue", i feel for ya, i really do.

---------------------------------------------

I run Oil Pressue & Temp gauges for the sole reason to monitor these when doing spirited driving through hills etc or when i attend the track (which i will do hopefully this year), i don't have them for bloody show.
As i said, you wanna run them, run them electronically so you avoid a MAJOR defect and 2 just don't drive like a dick seriously.
Enough said.

We havent actually spoken before, but you have been 'pointed' out to me at a meet. I have dealt with many engineers. I have also delt with many forms of authority, whether it be vicroads patrol, TMU, or just an average cop. They will make up anything to give you a defect, I have argued with a cop about rubber in rear wheel arches of my legend before, thinking I had been doing burnouts. They look under the bonnet and laterally positioned engine, and naturally assume.

As for gauges, its like I said above, but thats just a personal opinion, so if it offends anyone its their problem. Common sense says save money for mods that accumulate power first, bother with things like management when you're at the point of no return (>$10000 under the bonnet).

As said above, Cops can defect you for whatever they feel they can, and only if you choose to waste your time in court disputing it can you perhaps prove them wrong. But then you loose a day in court and possibly face more fines, its far easier to just clear the shit and be done with it.

WATAJK
04-03-2011, 04:59 AM
We havent actually spoken before, but you have been 'pointed' out to me at a meet. I have dealt with many engineers. I have also delt with many forms of authority, whether it be vicroads patrol, TMU, or just an average cop. They will make up anything to give you a defect, I have argued with a cop about rubber in rear wheel arches of my legend before, thinking I had been doing burnouts. They look under the bonnet and laterally positioned engine, and naturally assume.

As for gauges, its like I said above, but thats just a personal opinion, so if it offends anyone its their problem. Common sense says save money for mods that accumulate power first, bother with things like management when you're at the point of no return (>$10000 under the bonnet).

As said above, Cops can defect you for whatever they feel they can, and only if you choose to waste your time in court disputing it can you perhaps prove them wrong. But then you loose a day in court and possibly face more fines, its far easier to just clear the shit and be done with it.

I hate when someone has seen me and i don't know them lol.
Fair enough Oxer, i completely agree with you.
Obviously you have enough experience behind you (seriously) lol.
Would like to meet ya at the next meet, be good to have a chat :)

Put a name to face.

SnowWhiteLude
09-03-2011, 11:54 AM

Cheers thanks! That makes a bit more sense and is the most useful info I have recieved here.

Dude, this is Ozhonda, not Ozroadlaws.com. There are very few people that actually know where to find laws, let alone know them. Hell I havent even bothered looking into it because to be honest, I pay the fines and clear the defect, then do it all over again. Its part of the game.

If you study law, then you should have the resources to be able to find the information you are after, rather then reffering to a silly car forum I suggest you use said resources.

I dont have facebook, but feel free to start whatever group you feel the need to. The way I see it, unless you are running full forged internals and itb's/forced induction, are making huge amounts of power and have spent tens of thousands under the bonnet, you dont need to know what your oil pressure is, or how many volts are running through your electronics. Feel free to comment on how a car doesnt have to be low or have large wheels ;) Pretty sure Ill keep doing what Im doing and you will keep doing what you are doing.

Im pretty sure there is a clause somewhere along the lines where a member of the police force can defect a vehicle if they are uncertain on the roadworthyness of the vehicle as they are not qualified, trained mechanics, and merely read what they are supposed to look for in a hand book. So YES, Cops can defect you for anything, that they see unfit.
Seeing as this is the road rules/regulations part of the forum, i thought a question about such would be a relevant topic to discuss here - and as far as asking about road laws on a car forum where there is a section devoted to it & attempting using this place as a resource to try and find out this infomation, which this thread shows obvioulsy isnt either a) readiliy accesible on either vic roads or federal websites, or is under an obscure section it seemed like a pretty logical place to try and have this question answered. Maybe you seem to think differently? As far as there being very few people that actually know where to find laws, let alone know them, that has been made abudently clear thanks to this thread. :)

As for just paying fine after fine and copping those when you have done nothing wrong, thats a personal choice. Why would you anyone do that? I dont pay other bills that I dont have to but hey it is your money right?

Oxer
10-03-2011, 03:22 AM
Seeing as this is the road rules/regulations part of the forum, i thought a question about such would be a relevant topic to discuss here - and as far as asking about road laws on a car forum where there is a section devoted to it & attempting using this place as a resource to try and find out this infomation, which this thread shows obvioulsy isnt either a) readiliy accesible on either vic roads or federal websites, or is under an obscure section it seemed like a pretty logical place to try and have this question answered. Maybe you seem to think differently? As far as there being very few people that actually know where to find laws, let alone know them, that has been made abudently clear thanks to this thread. :)

As for just paying fine after fine and copping those when you have done nothing wrong, thats a personal choice. Why would you anyone do that? I dont pay other bills that I dont have to but hey it is your money right?

I know my vehicle is unroadworthy, I dont need a police officer to tell me that, hence why I pay fine after fine. There is no point in me contesting it in court, that is just a waste of time. I do have to pay these fine, And I am more then happy to as I know I have broken the rules.

Thanks for overlooking the usefull advice I did include in my posts in this thread though, I hope your pillar mounted gauges work out and you get to monitor the temperatures of liquids/lubricants in your car.

DA9B18C
10-03-2011, 10:40 AM

this is right, i work closely with VicPol out on booze buss/road block sites,
i whatch all the vehicles they pull over to check for roadworthyness.

this gets people all the time. the gauges can be above dash ONLY if they are in a built in unit, like this:

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt40/da9b18c/LOW-MUGEN-Honda-Civic-Type-R-FN2-Assist-Meters-300x200.jpg

NO gauge cups, no bare screw/bolts.

WATAJK
28-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Just letting you know guys.
Yesterday i went through a booze bus, got question'd very heavily, height on the checked etc etc etc...
Gauges came to the attention of the officers, i was very friendly may i add.
The officer goes, "have you had any problem with these before?" "No, never"
"Did you fit these?", "No, had them fitted professionally with all the necessary requirements to keep it as safe as possible by running line directly into the oil sump to get a reading instead of having oil run directly into the gauge itself"
"Oh, someone who actually spent abit of extra money to do something safe, either know you shouldn't have them mate, i'll let you go."
"Thanks mate, have a good one"

Was kind, polite and everything i said was actually true so even if they popped my bonnet i woulda been sweet...
If you have them, you run the risk of getting a defect as i said but it doesn't worry me lol =)

^^ Just a personal experience

SnowWhiteLude
30-03-2011, 11:54 AM
"Oh, someone who actually spent abit of extra money to do something safe, either know you shouldn't have them mate, i'll let you go."

Thanks for the info - do you want to clarify that bit - just doesnt make any sense to me!

WATAJK
30-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the info - do you want to clarify that bit - just doesnt make any sense to me!

Read the statement above it dude, i had them installed properly using a sandwitch plate which means no oil runs INTO the cabin directly so if a line was to burst you won't be burn't on your face.
Hence why i spent the extra money to get it done once & right.