PDA

View Full Version : Ticking noise from my ek gli

Chriskoss
23-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Hi guys
I get this tinging, ticking noise from my gli when it gets to operating temperature and when the car is turned off and is cooling down
Sorta sounds like a ticking sound, and appears to be coming from the undercarriage, possibly exhaust
I asked a guy with an eg and he said civics do that when they're cooling down
But even when I turned off the car it does it for a while, which leads me to believe its nothing to do with the engine as it keeps doing that when the engine is turned off

Just wondering if it happens to anyone elses EK?

thanks in advanced

UkuleleGod
23-02-2011, 09:33 PM
Hey mate,

This happens to My 1997 EK. It is a bit strange, it sits there and ticks for a few minutes after I turn off the car.
It seems to tick the same amount no matter whether i run the car hard, or whether I grandma it.

I think it is something in the exhaust too.

eren
23-02-2011, 11:47 PM
This also happends to my 96 gli hatch it makes me worry

fraqqie
24-02-2011, 12:31 AM
exact same thing as you described in my 97 gli...I had a major service only a few kms ago and it still makes the noise.

rotary_snail
24-02-2011, 06:45 AM
Sounds like it's just the metal contracting/expanding due to heat. Every car does it, more noticeable after a long or hard drive.

bennjamin
24-02-2011, 07:18 AM
Sounds like it's just the metal contracting/expanding due to heat. Every car does it, more noticeable after a long or hard drive.

100% right. Can be more noticeable right after a hard drive , or just driven thru a puddle etc....metal retracting as it cools down

redefine
24-02-2011, 06:48 PM
if the exhaust was made out of 2 different materials it wouldnt do it, but cause you have a number of different metals in the exhaust they all contract at different rates. just more info in your interested :)

rotary_snail
24-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Does it no matter what the exhaust is made out of. SS or titanium or do it from my experience. It not the metals expanding at different rates, it's just the act of them expanding/contracting. Just like a house, the door frames don't expand due to being two different woods. =P

Only place where metals expand at different rates is in the engine, thus why you should always let the engine get to operating temp before hitting redline. =D

mugen_ctr
24-02-2011, 09:48 PM
its due to the exhaust pipes, as said its got to do with metals contracting... mine has been doin this since i got my cat back, i recently took my headers off, and its from where the cat an b-pipe joins onto... there are bolts with spring tensioned holding the pipes together, an i suspect its the springs that are making that ticking noise...as the springs aint seated properly