PDA

View Full Version : 6.5" Coaxials Recommendation

NightKids
25-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Not really after splits, so what do you guys recommend? I'll be running them through 4x18 RMS head unit but prepared to buy a cheap 4 channel if needed. Some which I've been looking at... (budget is around $150 a pair)

JL Audio VR650-CXi
Polk Audio DB651
Re Audio RE6.5
Boston Acoustics SR60
CDT CL-6EX
Digital Designs 6.5" CX Series

If anyone has any other recommendations please feel free to share. Thanks

GaDgeT-CRX
25-02-2011, 12:31 PM
Think you will find that most of us will try to swing your decision to get some splits... dont think that you will notice much difference between the models you have listed while being powered from the HU.

Dont skimp on a cheap amp if you decide to go that way, best investment for an audio upgrade is a good set of front speakers and good quality 2ch amp

honda_zivic
25-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Not really after splits, so what do you guys recommend? I'll be running them through 4x18 RMS head unit but prepared to buy a cheap 4 channel if needed. Some which I've been looking at... (budget is around $150 a pair)

JL Audio VR650-CXi
Polk Audio DB651
Re Audio RE6.5
Boston Acoustics SR60
CDT CL-6EX
Digital Designs 6.5" CX Series

If anyone has any other recommendations please feel free to share. Thanks

get em. i got jls 5.25" in the rear quarter panel eg. never distorts.

NightKids
25-02-2011, 07:56 PM
I've heard the JL splits at JB Hi Fi and they do sound pretty good. They got great clarity, the only thing stopping me from getting the JLs is because these are made in China & not US.

Also I think that it may lack of bit of mid bass?

honda_zivic
26-02-2011, 12:50 AM
if u want mad bass speakers, get digital designs, im getting 1 as well but in 6x9. ideal is look at the back of the speaker, if it has big magnets then its gonna pound deep bass.

i also recommend eclipse, rockfords, and mayb alpines but not type S they are purely shitness.

NightKids
26-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Yeah I wouldn't mind coming and having a listen when you get em' in !

However 6x9's is just..... eww?

honda_zivic
27-02-2011, 01:46 PM
whats wrong wit 6x9?

NightKids
07-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Hmm pretty well documented. Audiophiles worst nightmare!

1996_EK_Civic
07-03-2011, 08:15 PM
whats wrong with Alpine Type S? 240 watt max 80 wrms they sound good.
and 6*9 = pointless if you have a sub

2MPRS
08-03-2011, 02:12 AM
6x9s will be louder then most 6.5s but no where near as clear imo. btw id invest in a amp first before u get speakers because with that power they are almost all gonna sound the same. and like gadget said get splits lol ive got splits all round never looked backed

JohnnyWalked
10-03-2011, 04:08 PM
heard some good stuff from polk, JL and DD are good too (y)

imo save up and get some splits and a quality amp but if you cant then atleast get an amp with the coaxials

as 2MPRS said you're not gonna tell much difference between any of the speakers while getting it powered up by the headunit

cyber_scriber
12-03-2011, 06:51 PM
If you are adamant on running them off the head unit, then go for a pair of coaxials with a very high sensitivity rating (>90db/watt).

The higher the sensitivity, the more the speaker can do with the little power that the head unit provides.

I would strongly recommend though that you get an amp to run your front speakers. It will make a world of difference to the mid range response and speaker performance, particularly at mid to high listening volumes.

Even a cheap $100 amp is going to provide much more clean power compared to your head unit.

In relation to coaxial choice (assuming you won't go with splits), I suggest you take your favourite CD to a car audio place that stocks a few of the speakers you're interested in. Play your CD back to back on each speaker and choose the sound that best suits you.

arverson
13-03-2011, 09:45 AM
you've probably bought em already by now, but if not then ill chuck 'morel maximo' onto the list. you'd be surprised how cheap you can get these for.

NightKids
15-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the response there. Yes I have been considering Morel Maximos but they are impossible to listen to. I'm tossing up between them and JL Audio C2-650s. After carefully consideration I have an Alpine 4 channel amp 55x4 RMS.