PDA

View Full Version : Suspension questions - coilovers

DBG
26-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Hey guys, not sure if this belongs in the suspension thread, but I am after S2000 specific advice.

I am brand new to the Honda scene having owned all peugeots (pretty much all modified) and a lotus Elise 111r previously. Unfortunately the lotus had to make way for house so S2000 seemed to be the next best thing in my price range!

I have always lowered cars with shocks and springs (Eibach, H&R, koni, bilstein), mostly because coilovers are not always available for euro cars.

I am looking to lower my car (1999 AP1) about 35-40mm and retain a reasonable ride (I understand lowering rarely retains a standard ride) as the car will be my daily, but I would also like suspension that will perform well for weekend spirited drives and the occasional track day.

I have given myself a budget of about 1200 as I bought the car in the interests of saving cash!! After a heap of research (mostly on s2ki) I have come up with the following options:

Bilstein PSS coilovers (1200 shipped from tireack) lower 35mm max which is not quite as low as I wanted, but I have had previous good experiences with the brand.
Koni shocks and King springs - provide the right lowering amount and will cost about 900 all up (shocks from tireack)
DGR coilovers - new brand, couple of positive comments on s2ki and lower basically to any height. I believe these would set me back a bit less than the bilstein.

So I guess, what are peoples thoughts? Go with a brand I have never heard of, or get Bilsteins and accept that they won't lower as much as I want? Has anyone had experience with koni and kings?

Thanks heaps in advance for your advice.

Ben

ncmx5
26-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Of the three, I would go with the pss coilovers. Why not consider other brands like Buddy Club N+ or something? - They're like $900USD + $250-300 for shipping.

Lowering it 40mm, is pretty epic low. if you don't mind scraping, go for it.

aozora
26-02-2011, 04:34 PM
I would go with the PSS coilovers as well. Decent reviews from what I've seen and you get the added bonus of rebuilding them locally (Atleast in NSW :p).
Another +1 for the Buddyclubs too. They're quite decent and go very low... but the spring rates are fairly high. Comfortable considering though! Would easily fit in your budget too... only thing I'm a bit skeptical on is the longevity of them...

mittf20c
26-02-2011, 04:45 PM
I just bought a set of the Buddy Club N+'s for mine. Still need to install them but i have heard good things about them. As aozora said, yeh not sure about the life expectancy of them. Cant wait but!

Engin09
26-02-2011, 06:55 PM
i got buddy club race spec, they're fun :) but they get anoying on some roads lol. (parramatta road...)

DBG
26-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the advice.

Sounds like bilstein may be a good option. I would just have to accept that there would be less height adjustment.

The DGR seem to be receiving positive comments on s2ki and (not that I am any expert) seem to perform well on the dyno graphs for the price.

No one recommends the koni / king combo?

I have never owned coilovers so not sure how much rougher the ride is in general...

Clio
27-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Probably precious few have king/Koni combo. In my opinion coilovers are generally a better bet as the springs are designed to work with the shocks

LEWD
27-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Pss9 Bilsteins....job done.

DBG
27-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Ok, thanks. Sounds like bilstein may be the way to go.

Does anyone know whether it would be worth paying the extra cash for the PSS9 over the PSS when I would only be doing the occasional track day? It seems the main difference is more adjustment.

Anyone in Canberra happen to have a set of either installed?

Cheers

Ben

greek_rambos2k
03-03-2011, 11:57 AM
id go BC racing Br. will get new set for $1300 and they r monotube

s2kjn
03-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Buddyclub n+ FTW!! If you want a set of kings - I've got them! om me ;)

DBG
06-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the responses, still a little undecided, but leaning towards to PSS (1200 imported new from US), I was wondering if anyone had experience with the H&R coilovers? Seem to be a similar price with more height adjustment.

S2kjn - do u currently have kings on ur car? Happen to have any pics?

Greekrambos - do u have the BC Racing coilovers? I noticed a set is currently for sale (second hand). How do they ride etc? Don't know anything about them really (never heard of em!).

Thanks again.

Ben

AusS2000
07-03-2011, 07:48 AM
I don't know about H&R Coilovers but I've had H&R springs and was really impressed with them. I've since upgraded to KWv3 coilovers.

If springs are an option my H&Rs are for sale for $200.

greek_rambos2k
07-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the responses, still a little undecided, but leaning towards to PSS (1200 imported new from US), I was wondering if anyone had experience with the H&R coilovers? Seem to be a similar price with more height adjustment.

S2kjn - do u currently have kings on ur car? Happen to have any pics?

Greekrambos - do u have the BC Racing coilovers? I noticed a set is currently for sale (second hand). How do they ride etc? Don't know anything about them really (never heard of em!).

Thanks again.

Ben

Hey broo nah i dont have them but im getting them. I have a few mates who run them in their evos and they are very happy with them. Check under mod reviews forum a guy there wrote a little review on them and he rated them very highly. They are height and damper adjustable and are monotube (monotube is better then twin tube) they are also fully rebuild-able and there are distributors in AUS for repairs if there are ever any problems. here is some info for ya to read :D http://www.justjap.com/store/product.php?productid=19233&cat=&page=1

DBG
07-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Thanks heaps for the info greekrambo, I'll have a read. Seem to be a reasonable buy second hand.

I did consider springs aus2000, but have decided to go with coilovers to have the height adjustment. I had H&R in my previous car and was more than happy.

Hmmm...I'll have to do a bit more research, just can't find much about the H&R coilovers.

greek_rambos2k
09-03-2011, 11:30 AM
if your going to buy them second hand make sure they dont leak and ask if they were purchased in AUS. If it is it still might be under warranty if anything does go wrong with them