PDA

View Full Version : Shockies for Honda Civic FD1

pitiek
02-03-2011, 05:14 AM
Hi guys, I'm after recommendation on shockies to replace the stock FD1 shockies.
Mine are due for replacement.
I heard KYB is a decent brand but I don't know how much they would cost.
I'm after something decent that will maintain the comfy ride but not too expensive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

aero
06-03-2011, 12:04 PM
pedders make shocks for our cars, u could go to ur local mechanic to get a price on them.

skunk2 also make fd shocks, but they're not too cheap and they're not the best if u use oem springs. best to get both shocks and springs... there is a member here that is selling his old set of s2 shocks and springs tho. contact member: vlixcool and see if he still has his available. they are lowering springs tho, so ur car will sit lower, but u may get a good price.

pitiek
06-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the reply..
I have been in touch with vlixcool and it was a good offer but I read a few bad reviews about the Skunk2 sport and from what I gather they are revising the sport shockies and springs design for FD.
Have you hear anything otherwise?
I saw some pics of your civic, can I ask where did you get your mugen body kit from? I have been looking for a while and one ebay seller in Sydney has one but the freight is quite dear.
Do you remember how much did you pay for it and also paint job cost?

Thanks heaps..

bennjamin
06-03-2011, 07:01 PM
sorry can i ask - who told you your shocks are in need of replacement ? how many ks on your car ?

pitiek
06-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Austral Honda said so last time I took my car there for the 60k service. The mechanic left a note that my left rear shock was leaking.
They want to charge $450 to replace one shockies..

aero
06-03-2011, 11:44 PM
ouch. quite a bit of money for just one shock.

um.. i have no experience with aftermarket shocks or springs on our cars. ive got a set of fairly cheap d2 coilovers that do me well for what i need them to do. as for my mugen lip kit. i bought it off ebay a couple of years ago for about $600?? and i had a friend who does some painting and body work to spray it for me at mate's rates lol. i recently just parted out the kit tho, but i regret doing it. needed the money. i'll be looking to purchase another mugen front lip in the near future tho. probably from carmate.com or something.

pitiek
07-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Give me a yell if you found another mugen kit because I'm after one myself..
Can I befriend your mate to get the mates rates..?? =p

I asked around and found that KYB has a set of shockies for FD. They are called the Excel series and they are arriving in Australia next month.
$166 each for front and $126 for rear. I might wait for that whilst reading some DIY on changing shockies to save me $400 for fitting..=)

I also found some KYB and Tokico shockies on ebay US for Civic Si 2006+. Does anyone know if these shockies would fit our FD?

DuffyFD
07-03-2011, 02:46 PM
don't quote me but i believe the suspension setup is the same in the AUDM as the USDM for all BUT the Si..

pitiek
07-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Thanks Duffy.. I got a few replies from several ebay sellers in the US that said the same thing but they cannot guarantee that the US spec civic has the same suspension setup as ours..
Shame... They are much more cheaper than ones available here and that is including shipping..

pitiek
11-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Anyone else know if we can use USDM civic suspension/shocks for our FD?

EGB
11-03-2011, 10:58 AM
I have a set of FD2 Sport Shocks for sale, PM Me

evil_1998
11-03-2011, 11:55 AM
US 8th Gen Civic EX, DX, LX model fits, part numbers are the same. Si model does not fit.

pitiek
11-03-2011, 12:23 PM
Just to confirm any shockies that would fit US 8th gen civic (4 door/coupe) excluding Si would fit our FD?
Thats a really good news..!!
Thanks a lot..

evil_1998
11-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Just to confirm any shockies that would fit US 8th gen civic (4 door/coupe) excluding Si would fit our FD?
Thats a really good news..!!
Thanks a lot..

Yes, this is correct. jspec has Skunk2 Pro S coilovers & vlixcool has Skunk2 shock/spring combo. Skunk2 is US brand & both fit on our civic.

Also I got BC racing - Type BR Spec coilovers & that shares same part number as US counterpart.

Just make sure is not for Si, but the reseller should be able to confirm for you that it fits our AUDM civic.

pitiek
11-03-2011, 11:38 PM
I bought a set of Tein S-Tech springs from a friend which I was planning to pair with my stock shocks, but I have to drop this plan as I received the service report from Austral Honda Brisbane on 60k service mention that they suspect that my left rear shock has a leak.

I have been looking for a while for a replacement shockies and I was surprised finding that only Pedders and OEM Honda have the replacement shocks for our FD in Australia. Well, KYB has the Excel / GR-2 but they are not in stock.

What I want is to lower my FD by 1.5"-2" for the look, less body roll and better handling but I still want to get a comfort ride (due to my age).. :p

Does anyone have an experience using Tein S-Tech springs with Tokico HP shocks or KYB Excel/GR-2 or Koni yellow or any OEM replacement shocks?

Do you guys reckon the skunk2 sport shocks + springs set is a good option for what I want ((lowered ride + better handling) - rough ride)?
I read a few mixed reviews on the skunk2 sport shocks spring set, that's why I want to know if anyone has experience it first hand.

Thank you so much you guys have been very helpful...

DuffyFD
12-03-2011, 04:46 PM
maybe sell your springs and grab a set of coilovers for 1 - 1.5k and you will be muchos happier.

I'm running pedders lowering springs and with stock shocks it's much better, but there's still much to be desired.

It's better and actually cheaper to do something right the first time, than to it half way and then decide later that you wanna do it properly..

pitiek
13-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Thanks Duffy, I might do that..
Any takers for my Tein S Tech..? 
Any recommendation on which coilovers set I should get?
Is skunk2 sport shocks set + skunk2 springs pretty decent for what I want?

pitiek
13-03-2011, 10:51 AM
I found this Tein Basic coilovers after googling
Part Brand: Tein
Manufacturer Part Number: DSB14-LUAS2

http://www.tein.com/products/basic_price_list.html

I have searched Tein's US website and this basic coilovers set is designed to fit all civic 06+ including
Si..
Does this mean it fits our FD as well?
I'm confused...

DuffyFD
13-03-2011, 02:51 PM
i found some H&R Coilovers on the tirerack website when i was searching for wheels and tires.

H&R are german made too, so they should be good, theyre around 950USD + 150USD Shipping which is the cheapest ive seen so far, and im sure they're not going to be shit quality like the other korean brands etc..

pitiek
14-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the info..
I also found this website advancespeedshop.com who has a big range of parts for Civic USDM..

DuffyFD
14-03-2011, 02:28 PM
yeah sweet site, they have on the fly calcs of shipping rates to Australia which is helpful

pitiek
15-03-2011, 01:28 PM
I found this review comparing Tein Basic v. Tein SS

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606689

Extra $400 for damper setting..
Hmm...

pitiek
19-03-2011, 10:46 PM
I'm having my 70k service next week.. I will ask the technician to double check the shocks if they are need replacing..
I always have my car serviced by Austral Honda Newstead, can anyone recommend other place in Brisbane for routine service that is considerably cheaper compared to authorised dealer but still getting a good and honest service?

aero
19-03-2011, 11:31 PM
i take my car to Honda Care at Sumner Park.

1/4 Spine Street Sumner Park QLD 4074 - (07) 3279 6522
Open Weekdays 7:30am-5:30pm

pitiek
02-04-2011, 07:32 PM
I ended up getting a set of FD2 shocks from EGB and pair them with the Tein S-Tech that I already have.. I also fit Cusco front strut brace and Beaks rear arm brace.. All this parts working together really changes the way my FD handles the bent..

Initial drop is pretty good and they feel really close to stock which is what I want.. Really satisfied so far...:D

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff500/pitiek/5-2.jpg

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff500/pitiek/4-2.jpg

evolution
02-04-2011, 08:55 PM
It will drop a bit more after it settles in, mines a bit lower on the Tein springs

pitiek
02-04-2011, 09:15 PM
It will drop a bit more after it settles in, mines a bit lower on the Tein springs

Do you reckon I should wait a week or so before getting a wheel alignment?

evolution
03-04-2011, 11:18 AM
I usually get an alignment done together when I change something that affects the suspension.

hiepness
27-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Basically i ended up buying the springs from pitiek. Currently on stock shockies. My cars done about 2000kms with the springs on... and has done about 28,000kms in total. If i were to replace my stock shockies, would there be any recommendations. FYI i have a 2010 Civic Sport. oO?