PDA

View Full Version : D16Y4 rebuilt gearbox or new clutch set up?

ozboi
03-03-2011, 08:38 AM
My EK has done around 190k and I think it's time for me to work on the gear box. I'm thinking of getting a new gear box but considering a new clutch kit at the same time. I would greatly appreciate if anyone here can advice me on this issue. Cheers!!

mugen_ctr
03-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Really? have u changed the gearbox oil? try that and see what happens, lol, im just tryna save u 1-2k in a rebuild of a gear box... No need unless its making alot of noises, syncros are worn, or the gearbox crunches alot, Its easier to just get a 2nd hand gear box, but again, the worries if the last owner even looked after it properly...

quangsuke
04-03-2011, 11:09 AM
if its 2k to rebuild a gear box or even near that mark. get a engine conversion.
mate bought a b18c7 for under 3k.

ozboi
04-03-2011, 01:33 PM
I've already changed the gearbox oil. There's no noises or syncros worn. I just feel that I cannot rev much like before or maybe it's the clutch.

ozboi
04-03-2011, 01:34 PM
if its 2k to rebuild a gear box or even near that mark. get a engine conversion.
mate bought a b18c7 for under 3k.

man! I did find a B18c but couldnt find anything under 3k out there.

mugen_ctr
04-03-2011, 01:44 PM
I've already changed the gearbox oil. There's no noises or syncros worn. I just feel that I cannot rev much like before or maybe it's the clutch.

Were talking about a d-series here LOL, its not the lack of revs, its the lack of torque! If its the clutch slipping, have u tried the method of testing for slippage? Clutchs usually start wearing around there or so, some might even last longer, 250,000kms i heard

EK1.6LCIV
04-03-2011, 07:04 PM
mine was 2.2k for new gear box bearings, clutch kit, flywheel, and all the seals replaced on the sump and rear main from the dealer

tiksie
05-03-2011, 06:17 AM
Even a clutch change on a EK (any front wheel drive really..) will set you back about $500 with the kit supplied. Some places even quoted me $1100!!

Try testing your clutch to see if it's slipping.. They're not really that torquey so don't expect much!

Don't change your gearbox unless you REALLY need to, these boxes last ages.

bennjamin
05-03-2011, 09:01 AM
Do you know when the clutch was last replaced ?

Imo

Get a new HD clutch kit ( slightly firmer clamping pressure and feel) and install , and bleed your clutch line too. This in itself can do great things

mugen_ctr
05-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Even a clutch change on a EK (any front wheel drive really..) will set you back about $500 with the kit supplied. Some places even quoted me $1100!!

Try testing your clutch to see if it's slipping.. They're not really that torquey so don't expect much!

Don't change your gearbox unless you REALLY need to, these boxes last ages.

Most places charge around 300 including fly wheel re-machining just for labour ive found... clutch kit will depend, u can get the el cheapo for $100 or less, or go for branded ones, like exedy, extreme etc etc.... If u really wanted to save ur self some money, definite get it from the USA, hella cheaper and u can get some really good deals

hiepy
05-03-2011, 01:08 PM
yeah i feel your pain.
Where's the dseries lsd boxes, i want one of them!

EK1.6LCIV
05-03-2011, 04:28 PM
300 for a clutch changeover (Brisbane anyhow)... never heard of any professional shop doing it for less than 700, its very time intensive, budget 1600 for any fwd car and youll be all sweet as there are many parts in there that may have worn out (and are expensive to get)

lsd, go mfactory

dougie_504
05-03-2011, 05:12 PM
300 for a clutch changeover (Brisbane anyhow)... never heard of any professional shop doing it for less than 700, its very time intensive, budget 1600 for any fwd car and youll be all sweet as there are many parts in there that may have worn out (and are expensive to get)

lsd, go mfactory

I paid just under a grand for OEM clutch + install + flywheel machine.

Really good job, clutch feels great still and it's been a good 18+ months.

ozboi
06-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Thanks to all for your great advices! I strongly agree that Honda engines and their boxes last ages. I dont know when the clutch was last replaced :( . I can't either contact the previous owner. Can anyone plz explain to me a good procedure for testing to see if the clutch is slipping too much? I tried to search and ask but got nothing lolz.

bennjamin
06-03-2011, 10:43 AM
wait till car is warmed up. Go for a drive - short shift from say 2nd to 4th or 3rd to 5th on a slight inlcine and bag the clutch alittle - it should grip and lug up slowly if OK. If slipping it will rev up as you accelerate , then the revs will drop down to match the actual transmission speed.

Best idea is to just replace it.

Pm me if you require the labour to do so quickly cheaply and efficiently.

tiksie
07-03-2011, 09:10 PM
+1 for getting ben to do it :D