PDA

View Full Version : B16A2 potential

jaces13
04-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Hey guys!

just question about the good ol' b16a2 from a VTI-R.

so we all know this engine isn't the fastest in the B-series family but we all know that this engine has great potential ..

so this is the engine i will be converting to later on this year or early next year. I currently have a d16y4 .. (lol)

would you ..

1. boost

2. build

3. B20 yo ..

what would the cost differences be between these options?

The use of my car will be more for street and daily driven. I will work out my budget until i find what the approx amount of money it would be for each of the 3 options.

Thanks guys!

Kj.

dougie_504
05-03-2011, 03:47 AM
IMO you could boost/build/B20 all for around the same price, a good $10k +/- is a solid budget.

But it all depends on what you mean by 'build'. Are we talking just the head build? Or block too? I just did cams shafts + gears, retainers, springs, valves, port+polish, re-shaped combustion chambers, ITR IM + TB and paid labour and it cost me around the $5500-6000 mark.

B20VTEC...do you want standard internals or stock? If you want stock internals this would probably be the cheapest option and given the torque increase would be great for daily driving.

Boost will give you the most power, but surely the most expensive option.

hitoriko
05-03-2011, 08:46 AM
if its only for street i would just get the head off, and go to town on that then if later down the track you want to do something more your head will support the extra flow.

get a port polish, deck the head, double valve springs, retainers, get valves (maybe oversized) at the very least get better standard sized ones, bigger cams, adjustable cam gears. that would be a good base it all depends on the power your after.

Also then an ECU Hondata, powerfc, or piggy back system like a VAFC2 or emanage, then there is the injectors (if your going turbo)

theres alot to consider!

hitoriko
05-03-2011, 09:23 AM
I just went on ebay and had abit of a look for pricing thios will give you an idea it doesn't include labour or getting the head work done etc.. but its something to work off
Parts Prices

GENUINE ROCKER GASKET & PLUG TUBE SEALS 35
SKUNK2 RACE SERIES VALVE SPRINGS & RETAINERS 500
BUDDYCLUB VALVES 400
SUPERTECH VALVE STEM SEALS 80
SUPERTECH BRONZE VALVE GUIDES 100
SKUNK2 STAGE 2 CAMSHAFTS TUNER SERIES 700
AEM ADJUSTABLE CAMGEARS 250
GATES BLUE TIMING BELT 80
WATER PUMP 100
HEAD GASKET 100
HEADBOLTS 150
this is off ebay.com and so thats including shipping, obviously there are deas where you can get cams and springs together so it will be abit cheaper

hope this helps

blabla
05-03-2011, 10:23 AM
b20vtec stock or just some rs pistons. on B16a head... Good for street. Going to attempt to build one

jaces13
05-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Thanks guys for the input!

yes it seems that building from a b16 n/a wise is the way to go :)

blabla, please tell me how the b20 block works out!

i want to do that in the long run :D

but will building the head of the b16, contribute to the progression of a b20? i wouldnt be spending money redundantly?

btw, where is the absolute best wreckers around nsw that provide b16a2s?

sorry for the noob questions, just want to be optomistic, so I know exactly what im saving and spending my money on :)

dougie_504
05-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Yes, it contributes to the progression of B20. B16A head is good to build because it flows well. If you want to go B20VTEC later you just swap the block out and keep using the built B16A head = awesome.

VicTiR
04-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Get yourself a copy of a book called "Extreme Honda B-series Engines" will tell you everything that works (and doesn't) depending on your power and torque goals!
cheers

(P.S Written by a guy who raced a civic at Bonnevile for a land speed record attempt - did heaps of back to back dyno testing on all manner of products)