PDA

View Full Version : **Spark Plugs**

.uM.
27-01-2005, 07:47 AM
Hey guys... Me mate's servicing his car this weekend himself but dosnt know how to change the spark plugs... Can a no0b do this without stuffing up anything or should get a mechanic to do it ?
Can anyone tell me a brief on how to change spark plugs & also what spark plugs to get...?
Thanks guys... Q

MIRZ
27-01-2005, 10:07 AM
you cant go wrong with them mate.

Catcha
27-01-2005, 11:22 AM
Do it yourself, save you a few dolloars and you know how to do it next time, make sure you gap them properly, NGK Iridums are what most people use, is you mates are modified, you then got to select a rating if slightly modified get a rating of cold 6.
Get a spark plus socket, forgot what size but it's one size fits all wrench spark plug.

The only thing you can stuff up i guess is the car won't run properly, and if you don't gap them properly it will run roughly.

My experience with a my pervious WRX

If in doubt ask a mechanic to show you once or watch them its easy

wynode
27-01-2005, 11:54 AM
It's not to hard.......just don't

1. Overtighten them (hand tight then a quarter turn)
2. Don't cross thread the plug ( a little bit of lubricant on the thread of the plugs helps come time to take them out again)

EuroAccord13
27-01-2005, 01:49 PM
Each sparky only comes out and goes in through one hole...

Say, can someone explain to me the rating of the spark plugs pleeease :)

.uM.
27-01-2005, 02:02 PM
thanks guys...
NGK is the brand ? can you get it from super cheap auto ?

MIRZ
27-01-2005, 08:44 PM
yes, NGK is the brand, but you will have to tell them your car details so they will give you the right plug number specified for your car.

panda[cRx]
27-01-2005, 10:52 PM
make sure u dont take all the leads out at the same time unless u label them, coz if u put them back in wrong order your car wont start

wynode
27-01-2005, 11:16 PM
']make sure u dont take all the leads out at the same time unless u label them, coz if u put them back in wrong order your car wont start
Well on most hondas, the leads are a certain length for each cylinder......so its not too hard to get wrong :)

SiR JDM
31-01-2005, 01:49 PM
I know on the boxes of NGKs they tell you how far to tighten it.

ie - It will say hand tighten, then tighten 1/8th then 2/3 of a full circle.. or somethin along those lines. Best way to go about it.

Mr. Focus
31-01-2005, 02:12 PM
i just did mine! feels sooo much better. very easy. even my nanna could do it! i know with turbo cars, cold plugs are good. is this the same with na cars???

ECU-MAN
31-01-2005, 03:06 PM
i just did mine! feels sooo much better. very easy. even my nanna could do it! i know with turbo cars, cold plugs are good. is this the same with na cars???,

nope. depends on the fuel , timming curve and manufactures specs of the engine. as to what heat range plugs need to be used

DLO01
31-01-2005, 03:25 PM

nope. depends on the fuel , timming curve and manufactures specs of the engine. as to what heat range plugs need to be used
What about when you push your engine ie, drive hard for a long period. I think I have read that its better if you use a one step cooler plug? As your motor is running hotter. :D

civiceg9
03-02-2005, 07:37 PM
how much are NGK Iridium now?