PDA

View Full Version : 92 Civic Si Engine swap

hmetro24
05-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Hello everyone, I have got some question about putting B16a engine in 92 civic Si.
B16a is obd0 from ef8,and civic is obd1 if i am not wrong,
civic si had d16y8
Do i need all engine mounts ?
What other stuff do i need to do this swap?
How much it cost to tow a car from GlenWaverly to Brunswick?
Also how much it cost to rent or buy engine hoist?
Also do i need to upgrade brakes?
This stuff that come with b16a
driveshafts,
ecu
loom
shift linkage
Transmission
Will A/C fit ?
How hard to do this swap, rate 0-10?
After doing the swap, what do i need to do? viiv, mechanic certificate,Register engine to the car.
How much all these stuff cost?
Thanks in advance

jeremydawg
06-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Im sure this has been covered many times, try the search option :D

Your probably looking at around 2k for the engine(JDM) and 3k for labor, 1-2k for other stuff like belts, fluids etc. You could also get a half cut for around 2-3k (JDM). Half cut is way easier! If i were you i would get a half cut and do it yourself, or you can get it installed for around 1k. Brakes and sussy should be upgraded. Most of the stuff you will need will come with the half cut.

Do you have an EG? Because your civic came standard with a b16a (only in Japan) you wont need an engineers certificate or even mod plate, as long as the engine is registered to the chassis its OK.
If i were you i wouldn't attempt doing anything myself unless you have good mechanical knowledge.

JDM.Power
06-03-2011, 09:49 AM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5953

since your car is a si you wont need to convert anything, just buy the half cut and follow the thread for useful tips

hmetro24
06-03-2011, 12:12 PM
I am not mechanic, IF i did change timing belt, head gasket, suspension. this kind of jobs.
So doing a swap could be a challenge, but i can do it myself.
i have seen other swap but not for eg si, so i need some information and the stuff i need. I want to do it myself if i got problems i will fix it bymyself, we born with no knowledge, and we get it.I do not want to buy a car with swaped engine, its not enjoying the thing you are doing.

Symphorced
06-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Do you have an EG? Because your civic came standard with a b16a (only in Japan) you wont need an engineers certificate or even mod plate, as long as the engine is registered to the chassis its OK.
If i were you i wouldn't attempt doing anything myself unless you have good mechanical knowledge.

This is incorrect information. As the EG6 wasnt Australian delivered, he would still need an engineers certificate.

dougie_504
06-03-2011, 01:01 PM
This is incorrect information. As the EG6 wasnt Australian delivered, he would still need an engineers certificate.

And your's is certainly correct.

You can only swap the engine to another Australian delivered option.

jeremydawg
06-03-2011, 01:03 PM
So your actually supposed to have engineers cert. for a b16 conversion?? mine doesnt have one lawl

Sorry for the wrong info there! i thought you only needed eng cert for b18 cause theyre 1.8

hmetro24
06-03-2011, 07:28 PM
I wrote up it had d16y8 so it is not b-series, Any extra information? thanks
if it had b16, I would not ask for this kind of swaps

Symphorced
06-03-2011, 11:08 PM
So your actually supposed to have engineers cert. for a b16 conversion?? mine doesnt have one lawl

Sorry for the wrong info there! i thought you only needed eng cert for b18 cause theyre 1.8

Varies from state to state - I think in NSW going from a D16 to a B18 is fine. However, in Victoria, any sort of engine conversion to an engine that wasn't released for that model in Australia you will need to get it engineered. Pretty sure QLD is the same as VIC.

As for the OP:

- Buy a front cut from an EK with a B16a2 - should be pretty cheap, call up some wreckers around Melbourne.
- Oil + fluids - couple hundred dollars
- Changing Clutch + Timing belt + water pump while engine is out is a good idea too
- EG Civic SI has rear disk brakes but you should still upgrade them anyway
- A/c will fit
- Towing you should just hire a trailer for a day. Can get them from petrol stations

If you didn't know the answers to your questions though, I definitely would not be doing this by myself. Take it to a workshop, give them your car and the front cut and they'll probably charge you between $1k - $2k for labour for the entire swap. Extra for timing belt, clutch and water pump.

ECU-MAN
07-03-2011, 09:47 AM
one other thing

your engine is OBD0, this means its older than the chassis you have and legaly you cannot install an older ( higher poluting ) engine into a newer chassis.

also you have to overcome OBDO. you will need an OBDI engine harness and distributor

plus your OBDO B16A will have a calbe gearbox and the Si is a hydraulic clutch system.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
07-03-2011, 11:11 AM

In QLD you can just do an engine change over, have QT view reciepts and engine numbers and you're fine (in an EG Si)