PDA

View Full Version : Preventing Soft Top Wear/Tear

YLDS2K
08-03-2011, 08:21 AM
g'day all,

i just want to inform you guys that i have just purchased a new soft top with glass rear window and defroster from the US for my 01 S, and atm, awaiting delivery. I was wondering what measures have you guys taken to prevent the wear and tear/rubbing that usually occurs between the soft top and the frame. I am replacing the roof due to current tears and i am just trying to safeguard this top from replicating the same damage over time.

any suggestions?

tay113
08-03-2011, 09:47 AM
g'day all,

i just want to inform you guys that i have just purchased a new soft top with glass rear window and defroster from the US for my 01 S, and atm, awaiting delivery. I was wondering what measures have you guys taken to prevent the wear and tear/rubbing that usually occurs between the soft top and the frame. I am replacing the roof due to current tears and i am just trying to safeguard this top from replicating the same damage over time.

any suggestions?

as i can see my year 2000 soft top is heading your way,can you tell me where are you getting yours from the us and are you getting it for a good price? ta. tay.

seihoa
08-03-2011, 10:16 AM
I would assume its just general wear / tear.
Just prevent from opening and closing too often for no reason, park car in shade and away from harsh weather.

Maybe theres some chemical to help condition the fabric or soemthing? shrugs

euromandeluxe
08-03-2011, 10:45 AM
you can get some foam or other soft material and wrap it around the bits of the frame that rub against the top to slow down the wear - search on s2ki

aerospace 303 to protect from UV and keep it looking black (if you ordered a vinyl roof)

YLDS2K
08-03-2011, 11:04 AM
yeah i've looked into something to wrap the frame and i think its going to be the tape tennis players use on they're racquets. I've sourced it and its only going to be a couple of bucks from goldcross cycles or a tennis store. my only concern is to make sure the material i use is not going to be abrasive and cause more damage then what i am trying to prevent. i might post up some pics of how i do things.

i've used aerospace 303 before and love it. do u think it would be ok to use on a stayfast cloth top?

i ordered my roof off e-bay for $650 shipped to my door and that is for a stayfast cloth with glass window and defroster. if u want the link pm me

garett
08-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Aerospace is only good for vinyl. 303 make another product like a scotch guard Which I believe has a uv protectant in it also

garett
08-03-2011, 02:02 PM
This would be great for a cloth roof, other alternative is look into what BMW or Porsche use on their cloth soft tops

ncmx5
08-03-2011, 08:09 PM
i stuck another patch of marine vinyl over the areas that rub.

drsilliez
08-03-2011, 09:52 PM
i always keep my roof open. like 95%+ of the time. agree with the aerospace 303.

also ive got like this sock thing that was made to wrap around the frame on either side where it comes into contact with soft top and at the point of where it comes into contact with the soft top, there is black tape, so it rubs against that if/when it rubs. :)

Fredoops
09-03-2011, 12:06 AM
You'd probably better off getting one of those fibreglass hard tops to be honest.

You can get one from the states for less than $1000. and just take it off if you want to get some skin cancer :-P

drsilliez
09-03-2011, 12:53 AM
didnt buy a s2000 to then get a hardtop. bought a convertible for that exact reason, being a convertible!

drsilliez
09-03-2011, 01:09 AM
unless u wanna buy a hardtop for us, we wouldnt refuse :) but gettin off topic.

YLDS2K
09-03-2011, 08:41 AM
yeah i think the hardtop is out of the question, i like to have the flexibility to remove the roof and drive home from work if i want to and putting it back on when i get home. i am just looking for a solution into the dodgy design of the frame.

i always keep my roof open. like 95%+ of the time. agree with the aerospace 303.

also ive got like this sock thing that was made to wrap around the frame on either side where it comes into contact with soft top and at the point of where it comes into contact with the soft top, there is black tape, so it rubs against that if/when it rubs. :)

where abouts did u get that made? or is there a place where i can buy them specific for our cars off a website?

greek_rambos2k
09-03-2011, 11:26 AM
buy 303 aerospace from autobarn. its probably the best stuff you can get to protect it. I put it on my soft top and it makes it look new, restores colour and protect from UV rays. its about $50 for a pack that also comes with a cleaning solution but on its own its about $20

YLDS2K
09-03-2011, 11:42 AM
i already have aerospace 303 and i agree that it is good stuff. but its not the UV rays from the sun i am trying to protect from, it is the rubbing between the frame when u fold the roof on and off.

YLDS2K
18-06-2011, 01:50 AM
ok i thought i would update you guys on the progress of the roof. I ended up getting the stayfast cloth with the rear defroster because I wanted it to look OEM as possible. I have a mate who has it without the defroster and it just looks like something is missing. I am extremely happy with the roof and its fitment but I must say, I guess it comes down to where you get it done. I took mine to Gary Blackmans in Richmond just off Swan st, and I must say, from the friendly service to the overall job, I am very pleased. Gary is such a gentlemen and I felt really looked after from the moment go. He has a guy by the name of Steve who is equally as nice because when I dropped off the car on Tuesday morning, he ran me through exactly what would take place and I stated that my car had just had a fresh paint and they did they're absolute best to not mark the car whatsoever.

I took photos on my iPhone the day before it went in just after a wash, and I was able to go back during my day on Monday with my car stripped and also took some photos. I noticed that everything was done very neatly and professionally which made me put a lot more trust within they're hands because anyone who knows me personally, knows best that I am very fussy with my car, where I park it, how I wash it etc. I am extremely paranoid about leaving the car at shops but this thought did not even strike me when I dropped off my car. I noticed that surrounding my car was a Rolls Royce a Porsche 911 and boxter and a few other classics bring restored. The only issue we came across was the actual defroster itself. Gary rang me telling me that when I received my roof, I didn’t receive a switch and for the auto elec to supply a Genuine switch would cost $100 + the wiring itself which he quoted me $220. I am going to source an OEM switch myself and return the car in the coming weeks to complete the job. Total installation to date cost me $770 inc GST.

I am sorry if this really starts to sound like a free promotion to him, but I am the type of person who gives credit when credit is due. I can honestly say it has been an absolute pleasure to deal with them and highly recommend him to others who might be looking at doing this upgrade.

Photos are attached

http://img5.imagesha...d=img0737lh.jpg

dlai5552
18-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Being in Sydney, if I ever needed a roof change, I think I'd just pm Ferrari. lol
Good price too! May be a home job, but still good.

ncmx5
18-06-2011, 02:12 PM
YLDS2K - yeah, the switch is seperate from the roof. IMO, I don't think you need the defroster - the cabin's soo small it takes no time to defrost. Plus if you've got frost on the rear, means there usually would be frost on the front.. and you would have to a/c it off anyway... could save yourself a couple hundred if you want... i was in a similar boat as you a couple years ago... then realised that i didn't really need it... each to their own tho.

YLDS2K
18-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Yeah I get what u mean but lately because ive been hitting pool spa and sauna the moisture off me tends to build up and I don't really want to open a window or use air con as I might get sick plus I wanted the OEM look as much as possible

s2krazie
19-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Do you always park it under cover? Ever park outside when it's raining? I've noticed with my freshly installed one that rain residue builds up on the inside, like as if it seeps through tiny pores of the roof.

YLDS2K
19-06-2011, 08:03 PM
I try and avoid parking it in the rain as much as possible but I did wash it at a car wash with high pressure to check for leaks and didn't notice what u r talking about. What type of soft top did u guy?

s2krazie
19-06-2011, 08:11 PM
He said it was that stayfast top. everything's fine just that water residue crap.

YLDS2K
19-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Haven't heard of anyone experiencing that what brand is it?

greek_rambos2k
20-06-2011, 08:14 PM
i use 303 aerospace aswell. its awesome

YLDS2K
20-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Yeah I can also vouch for aerospace but it doesn't work as well as the OEM denim. It takes a lot longer to dry and soak in but still a great product

tay113
17-07-2011, 01:18 PM

HI, Can i cut socks and slipped onto the frame and i guess sock being either polyester or cotton would not create friction right? I have bought a roll of gaffer tape black 48width X40mm for $9.90.Just want to know if any of you have tried using them around the frames that caused the protrudment and to stop the markings? I have few areas on the canvas with protruding marks and slight worn stretch marks.Hopefully ,this gaffer tape will help as suggested by one of the members before.Thanks tay

YLDS2K
17-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Gaffer tape might work but if you going to wrap it don't make it to thick as all your going to do is thicken the amount of material and it will push further and put more stress on the material against your soft top. I once read that the the stuff you use to wrap a tennis racquet handle is good because it's thin and is soft against the soft top. I have bought some recently but haven't had the time to fit it yet

tay113
18-07-2011, 03:13 PM
Gaffer tape might work but if you going to wrap it don't make it to thick as all your going to do is thicken the amount of material and it will push further and put more stress on the material against your soft top. I once read that the the stuff you use to wrap a tennis racquet handle is good because it's thin and is soft against the soft top. I have bought some recently but haven't had the time to fit it yet

HI ,I have not started using the gaffer tape but took advice and used some cut socks to wrap it with couple of stitch.Hope this will help to lessen the rubbing.Can i actually use the gaffer tape to tape up the canvas stretch marks from the inside?Wonder if each time the opening and closing of the folded canvas will make the tape fall off? Thanks and appreciate.tay

YLDS2K
19-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Well gaffer tape has cotton strings in it so I'm guessing it should be strong enough to use only one way to find out

tay113
19-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Hi ,will try to tape up from inside ....
thanks.
cheers tay

gstanmore
03-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Hi ,will try to tape up from inside ....
thanks.
cheers tay
hey all,i have a 2007 s2k and theres a rip passenger side,where a bar has caused the rip,when top down it looks like 2nd photo.honda are saying not a design fault..hands up who have had tears here in their softop??cheers See pics at
http://s533.photobucket.com/albums/ee332/gstanmore/

ALPS
03-08-2011, 10:26 PM
how about measures to prevent crims slashing my soft top? see my latest thread :'(

tay113
04-08-2011, 11:52 PM
hey all,i have a 2007 s2k and theres a rip passenger side,where a bar has caused the rip,when top down it looks like 2nd photo.honda are saying not a design fault..hands up who have had tears here in their softop??cheers See pics at

hi, sorry to hear your car with torn roof fabric.so far,i have used the cut up socks on the bars and have not figured out how to tape the areas from inside edges.By the way ,your car looks really nice and especially white looks really clean especially when i am having red colour on my year 2000. Cant have them all especially I love most of the s2000 colours.

Danio
15-12-2011, 03:20 PM

I also, picked up this old threat looking for some advice. Well my s2k has sadly also fallen to the Honda frame "defect" which rubs away the inner corner of the roof - creating a wear that is eventuating into a tear (on both sides).

I have contacted a few places regarding sealing/adding an extra layer in the suspected area to prevent tearing and further wear. One company I have been told to contact is Uticolor. Has anyone used their services? Any advice on a repair/company?

(btw I went through hell trying to get through Honda AUS & Japan to discuss the defect which they refused to assist with and claimed it was wear and tear and not poor design).