PDA

View Full Version : HID Projectors Vs reflectors

krayzie
08-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Could someone please explain to this dumbass what is the difference between projector headlamps and the normal type... I think they are called reflective... I k ow it might sound pretty self explanatory but maybe I'm not getting the concept with HID and projectors

Thanks

KeyMan
08-03-2011, 07:13 PM
Could someone please explain to this dumbass what is the difference between projector headlamps and the normal type... I think they are called reflective... I k ow it might sound pretty self explanatory but maybe I'm not getting the concept with HID and projectors

Thanks

Projectors use a lens which is placed in front of the bulb to focus the light whereas reflectors use a mirror behind it.
When you run HIDs, you should be getting projector headlamps which are designed for HIDs. This is because HIDs are very bright and produce a lot of glare, and the problem with using a reflector is that it will bounce the light in all different direction, blinding other drivers and causing potential hazards. Projectors are essential in focusing the beam away from other drivers so you don't blind them and cause an accident.
I know a lot of people do it regardless of the safety issues but please don't just install HIDs in the oem headlight housing which are not designed for them, you will end up producing a lot of glare and blind other drivers on the road and you also won't be using the HIDs to their full potential.

Also, you can get a defect for HIDs if the police want to be dicks because not only do they have to be in projector housings, they need to also have a self cleaning system because dirt/dust messes with the light and creates glare. This isn't that big of an issue to me but I hate people who install HIDs in housing not designed for them and end up blinding everyone else on the road at night.

krayzie
09-03-2011, 08:07 AM
hey KeyMan,

awesome! that is exactly what i needed to know! thanks

with foglights it looks like there is only reflector type???

mugen_ctr
09-03-2011, 10:51 AM
hey KeyMan,

awesome! that is exactly what i needed to know! thanks

with foglights it looks like there is only reflector type???

On some of the newer cars, projectors are used as fog lights as well, only difference being the color to distinguish them from the actual head lights, but on all foglights yes they are projector housing... One thing that should b noted, REAL foglights are yellow, not the white ones u see everyones got.. and has a separate switch to turn em on/off.... I have yellow foggies, and ive only used it few times, during when conditions were really horrible and when it was actually foggy lol

curtis265
09-03-2011, 08:43 PM
These guys are 100% correct, however you'll find that everyone runs HID's on their reflector housings and everyone will tell you stories about how they've had them for years and no police problems.

To be honest, i find that HID's in DC5's, EK's and EG's aren't really that bad - no worse than what a 4wd would do to you.

the worst, IMO is the GC8 wrx's.. totally blind you.