PDA

View Full Version : She's not running to well.

h3nno
08-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Two nights ago I hit VTEC to overtake a car, immediately after that I noticed throttle response delay, moments after that the engine light came on. I continued driving for around another 20km not going above 3k RPM but the s would not idle well, when coming off the gas the idle would drop to around 100-200 RPM and not come back up.

When I got home I checked the oil, which was VERY low. The following day I topped up the oil, but the engine light remained on and the cars idle was still rat shit. Today at work I checked the error codes and it was putting out 61, 63 and 71. While the service check connector is shorted it would idle fine 800-1000 RPM.

After doing some research 61 is the primary O2 sensor, 63 is the secondary O2 sensor and 71 is a random misfire in the first cylinder. I reset the ECU and check the error codes and received just 61 and 63.

What could have caused the O2 sensors to fail? Is that the only issue? Is there any way to test the O2 sensor? What sort of resistance should be running through it? Any additional help or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Emre_2144
08-03-2011, 04:12 PM
What MY is your car?

h3nno
08-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Yeah, sorry that a big piece I missed out.

Year 1999
Kms 153k

vyets
08-03-2011, 04:43 PM
o2 sensors tend to fail it's happened before sometimes the welds in the cat come loose and shit rattles around in there and knocks the o2 sensor off well that's what happened to mind but it's not the first time a o2 sensor code has came up. No idea about the pimary o2 sensor but, maybe pull it out and see why, when I pulled mine out the tip was gone and was inside the cat lol.

h3nno
08-03-2011, 04:56 PM
o2 sensors tend to fail it's happened before sometimes the welds in the cat come loose and shit rattles around in there and knocks the o2 sensor off well that's what happened to mind but it's not the first time a o2 sensor code has came up. No idea about the pimary o2 sensor but, maybe pull it out and see why, when I pulled mine out the tip was gone and was inside the cat lol.

haha **** aye.

How many kms was on yours when your O2 went?

Marst4r
09-03-2011, 12:16 PM
yeh I had the same symptoms recently when my O2 sensor died as well.

No idea why it came up, although my mechanic said could be any reason, but probably a bad batch of fuel.

Also, I had filled up that night prior to receiving the CEL, and some people have mentioned that if you don't tighten the fuel cap tight enough, it will throw the CEL at you.

stndrd
09-03-2011, 01:53 PM
o2 sensor's also start misreading due to carbon build up (such a simple thing i know)

if you have access to a workshop manual & scan tool, run some ocilliscope diagnostics and check the wave form signal from the o2 sensor and compare with what honda recommends it should read