PDA

View Full Version : Electric water pump

wynode
31-08-2003, 05:23 PM
Can these be sourced from anywhere for Civic/Integra and if so how much?

Cheers.

tinkerbell
01-09-2003, 02:03 PM
Can these be sourced from anywhere for Civic/Integra and if so how much?

Cheers.

yes they can be sourced, but why woudl you want one?

t..

wynode
01-09-2003, 03:15 PM
In terms of getting more HP, i'd be curious to know what the gains are also.

Do you have any more info?

Cheers.

TODA AU
01-09-2003, 10:42 PM
Just a though…
If electric water pumps were infact reliable…
Delivered realistic performance gains and or fuel savings…
Surely they would be fitted at OEM…
However, considering vehicle manufactures spend loads of money developing their cars…
So that they meet the performance requirements of the engineers…
Come in under the budget constraints of the accountants…
Plus pass the specified warranty period without failure…
One would think they put a reasonable level of consideration into their component selection…
Now if such a device isn’t fitted to a single vehicle on the planet from OEM…
I think there’s something in that for everyone…
Don’t you?

wynode
01-09-2003, 10:46 PM
Thats why I was interested in seeing what the HP gains were. Also I'd imagine an electric water pump would cost more to implement and install than a mechanical pump that just consists of some metal and a few bearings :)

But in terms of reliability, yes, mechanical is the way to go.

TODA AU
01-09-2003, 11:00 PM
Honestly...
How much power do you hope to gain?
I dare say, you could probably only just measure any gain on a dyno...
It's doubtfull that you'd actually feel it.
Is that worth risking your engine for?

Or... Are you going to be the first “Lab rat” of this forum?

:lol:

vti-2
01-09-2003, 11:08 PM
Are they expensive?

I really doubt they would be viable, especially if they cost a couple hundred dollars...

wynode
02-09-2003, 12:07 AM

:)

Hadean
03-09-2003, 07:36 AM
DANA technologies (a industry supplier of automotive products) have designed an electric water pump, as well as a electric oil pump. They claim that they can reduce emissions as well as increase power that was taken up by the mechanical operation of the old ones.

They found many benefits from using an electrically driven pump over a mechanical one. Some of the benefits:

Electric Water Pump:
Faster warm up of engine; the water pump can be controlled by either seperate modules or by the ECM itself (if it was OE).

High cooling efficiency; because the electric pump is controlled electronically, the pump can either run faster or slower based on the demand of cooling required by the engine.

Electric Oil Pump:
pre-priming of engine; the engine can be lubricated before the engine actually runs, it also can be run even if the engine is turned off (this eliminates turbo timers as oil pressure is available on demand) hence reducing wear.

In the near future as 42-Volt electrical systems become more in use, these pumps will definitely take over their mechanically driven counterparts. The potential of a 42-Volt electrical system enables many things driven electrically, such as steering and even air-conditioning. These reduce the load on the engine enabling engineers to calibrate their engines without 'accessory' loads to worry about.

It's true that electric motors can be unreliable, and that any electrical failure of these pumps can pretty much screw up your engine. But these days throttle control is becoming electronic and one day so will our brakes and steering will be all driven 'by-wire'. The actuation will be driven by electric motors. Electric motors CAN be reliable, it's just a matter of reliability VS. cost.

Btw, DANA claims to increase power by 10 to 20 percent by the use of these intelligent electric motors. Check out "Automotive Engineering International" publication by SAE, DANA always have their products there.

wynode
03-09-2003, 11:03 AM
Just thought i'd add that electric pump still put a strain on the engine in terms of increased current draw, but they are more efficient than their mechanical counterparts.

THanks for that info Hadean

Hadean
03-09-2003, 11:09 AM
Yup, they still consume power, and that's where the future of 42-volt systems will be important.

Another point, say for example an electric water pump fails. The engine self-diagnostic could notify the driver of the fault, and if catastrophic pump failure occurs, shut off the engine. Problem of unreliable electric motor solved. Same goes for a electric oil pump.

What happens when mechanical water pump fails? You've seen the damage to engine hardware due to seized water pumps?

I believe electric water pumps are more reliable.

Calvo
03-09-2003, 08:57 PM
im not really a fan of the electrical throttles/brakes etc.

Hadean
04-09-2003, 07:16 AM
NSX has electric throttle control.
Civic has electric power steering
Jazz has electric power steering

only a matter of time...

ALLMTR
04-09-2003, 11:37 PM

Do you have any more info?

Cheers.

2 to 3 hp at the wheels

DEFINATELY for drag cars only

HondaCivic
12-01-2006, 09:12 AM
The main advantage from a elec water pump is the fact that the engine dosent need to be running for it to work! When you turn of your engine it infact heats up alot then starts to cool down. With a elec pump, say on track cars or whatever, when you turn off the car you can have the water still circulating and have your thermal fans come on to help your engine cool down to a set temp.

EGB16A
12-01-2006, 10:03 AM
holy crap.... talk about digging up the dead!

fat_85_civic
12-01-2006, 06:20 PM
ive read that you can see upto and 8hp gain at max revs.

spetz
13-01-2006, 03:39 AM
Someone on an FTO installed an electric power steering pump and took off the air con unit and dropped 0.2 off his quarter mile

Now I don't know what takes more power, power steering or water pump but still...

yourfather
13-01-2006, 05:08 AM
this threads almost three years old!

lol @ gravedigging n00bz

HondaCivic
13-01-2006, 08:05 AM
LOL didnt realise! there was a recent topic that got closed due to it had already been discussed and this link was posted. didnt realise how old it was.

bennjamin
13-01-2006, 10:49 AM
closed. Even is against our terms and conditions (lol @ admin )

closed