PDA

View Full Version : halogen bulb question 5000k bulbs

MWAKU
10-03-2011, 01:08 PM
i bought h1 bulbs for like 3 buks (lol) but when installing, the connector bit is longer than the original bulb, but it doesn't matter, i connected everything, all works

but the thing is, i had left all the casing headlight still open, and i could smell like plastic burning, but that was probably the remaing plastic film wrapped around the bulb, it was in the day too, so the bulb still looked yellow, but i thougt the blue tint was meant to remove the yellow color,

ANYWAY LOL, the main thing is that the bulb got REALLY hot, so i had the headlights on for about 1min, to try n see if the light was even white, so i turned off the headlights, decided to go back to the stock bulbs, and burnt my hand removing the bulb......... is the bulb meant to get that extremely hot? or is that normal for the bulb to get to that heat? :S cause i want to install it later, at night to see if the lights white, but i dont want to drive it for a week then the bulbs just die on me

dc2r-0636
13-03-2011, 11:11 AM
i had 5000k lights on my car for about 3-4months before they stuffed up.. and yes they got very hot, but they didnt blow or anything, but one of them wasnt white anymore lol it was yellow.

the actual color of the bulb its self was blueish when new, then when i checked after the 3-4 months it was lyk the blue color had melted away and gone lol

mind you these cost me like $70. i returned them and they said it was my cars fault, blah blah i said wouldnt it happen to both light bulbs if it was a problem with my car? they gave me my money back and i went and bought so HID's lol

ASSaZiN
13-03-2011, 01:30 PM
I know mine got extremely hot, but no so hot that I could smell any burning.

Id just stick with name brand globes or HID;s

curtis265
13-03-2011, 02:06 PM
was it a 100W bulb?

dc2r-0636
13-03-2011, 04:12 PM
mine were 55w

MWAKU
13-03-2011, 04:43 PM
mines are 55w too.

yeh ordered a hid set after posting this thread

curtis265
13-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Then i have no clue why it would get hot :S Maybe there was just a weird coating ont he bulb that was melting off or something.. mowells.

EK9k+
21-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Yeah halogens are naturally a yellow kind of colour, they will be hot. I dont suppose tints on them will work so great either, as in your case. HID's are always right if you want that bright white or blue hue...apart from any hassling laws which I don't hear much about lol. But you should handle them carefully when installing, such as not touching the bare HID globe, or working them while not in place.