PDA

View Full Version : exhaust suddenly got some bad ass rattling

charliebrown
10-03-2011, 10:59 PM
was fine until today when it just started rattling hard. it doesnt rattle when i'm stationary or accelerating hard. moving and not giving gas, or not giving hard gas will rattle really loud. i cant pinpoint where the sounds coming from. muffler is on tight as it does not move when i shake with my hand. i've got an axleback

none of this "use the search function" shit please...

thanks for any help

geeang
10-03-2011, 11:09 PM
Have you tried to maybe.... jack your car up and take a look?

charliebrown
10-03-2011, 11:10 PM
yes ive had a look, nothing looks wrong

mugen_ctr
10-03-2011, 11:14 PM
exhaust rubber mounts? worse could be collapsed resonator, or cat leaving fragments loosely floating in there....

DC2-PWR
10-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Use search function next time,

common probs are,
cat
resonator.

search them up, and they will even teach you how to diagonse to find where the rattle is.

Good luck,

charliebrown
10-03-2011, 11:23 PM
the search function on ozhonda is not exactly the best thing ever made...

ill check the rubber mounts tomorrow. should i bolt on stock muffler and see if rattling still continues? can then see if its the cat or resi and not the muffler

DC2-PWR
10-03-2011, 11:26 PM
Theres also google, lol.

Just use a screwdrive, and hammer, and slightly beat the reso and cat, hear if they move inside - if they do, then it needs replacing. Most probs the reso, if its that, just go exhaust shop and tell them to put a straight through pipe. 50bux.

More power and you'll get a sporty note to it aswell.

charliebrown
10-03-2011, 11:32 PM
pardon me, but is the resi you're talking about the one located in the front bumper?

isnt straight through pipe fkn loud?

DC2-PWR
10-03-2011, 11:44 PM
pardon me, but is the resi you're talking about the one located in the front bumper?

isnt straight through pipe fkn loud?

Not front bumper, were talking about your exhaust, the resonator. Google it to see where it is.

The way your saying it that it'll give you +100DB more or something, it'll make it max 5/6db louder, sounds good too. also illegal :).

charliebrown
10-03-2011, 11:47 PM
crawling under a car supported only by a scissor jack... srs bzness!

DC2-PWR
10-03-2011, 11:57 PM
Haha, at least your giving a shot :).

hope you make it out alive :p

charliebrown
10-03-2011, 11:59 PM
should i post a video or something? i dont think my phone's mic is good enough for you guys to be able to hear the rattling and be able to tell whats causing it

DC2-PWR
11-03-2011, 12:27 AM
If you want man, but just give that screwdriver trick I mentioned before a try and see if you can find where the rattle is comming from.

charliebrown
11-03-2011, 12:32 AM
Alright i shall investigate tomorrow and seek further help after i have done so.

NightKids
11-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Check for loose exhaust hangers, bad resonator, loose/rusted cat heat shield, loose flanges, etc.

lol trying to give advice when my rattling still isn't fixed! Going to exhaust shop on the weekend...

charliebrown
11-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Fark... rattling is really bad right now. I'm not 100% sure but i think its coming from right under drivers seat (guessing cat). The floor where my feet are rumbles when its rattling. No gas + moving = shit pants thinking parts are gonna fall off my car

act_gooner
11-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Man, what type of exhaust did you buy? Twinloop? Also did you install it yourself or did you pay someone to do it?

charliebrown
11-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Bought it off someone who installed it for me for a little extra (i wanted to learn how to do it as well so i could unbolt/bolt whenever i wanted). It's an unknown brand cannon with welded on axleback bolt-on thing

act_gooner
11-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Ok then. The others have given you advice on what to look at, but imo I wouldn't go mucking around with something you don't know anything about. Just my opinion though.

charliebrown
11-03-2011, 09:03 PM
What do you suggest i do then? Shops are just gonna fk around to take DA CASHISH

DC2-PWR
11-03-2011, 09:15 PM
I suggest you get under your car, get a screw driver, and bang the cat. If it sounds like that it moves inside (which it shouldn't), then thats your problem.

If it doesn't move inside, check your resonator.

Thats all I can say to you that will help. Now its your turn to do it. If not, got to exhaust shop and pay them CASHISH.

charliebrown
11-03-2011, 09:26 PM
I gave my mechanic a call and he said to get someone to hold an old shirt or something to each part of the exhaust system from the cat back while i rev to see which bit shat itself. But iono i cant hear the rattle when im stationary. got home too late today, will do tomorrow

xenonkuraz
11-03-2011, 09:34 PM
What do you suggest i do then? Shops are just gonna fk around to take DA CASHISH

thats not true man. take it to exhaust bros in footscray. brendan doesn't fk around and he won't charge you any more than he needs to. free diagnosis as well if you don't like what he'll price.

btw whatever you do do NOT remove the resonator and put in a straight pipe. It will be raspy as hell and sound ricer to the max. Not to mention the droning will kill your head

charliebrown
12-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Ok now its rattling at low speeds as well... getting worse and worse every day. Also when i first got my axleback installed, it was loud, but now its gone really quiet? Sounds just a tiny bit louder than stock. I got my dad to drive the car while i stood outside and i could hear this whippersnipper sound in one second intervals when it was moving with no gas applied. Seems like the whole exhaust system is fkd... waiting for it to cool down so i can go take a look under!

noobcake
12-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Its possibly bent so its touching the heat shield! like mines :(

charliebrown
12-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Okay so i got under the car holded up by only a scissor jack (almost died!) and banged the cat, and everything else. Nothing was loose, nothing broken inside thats rattling around.

Cars now sitting at the mechanics place... muffler rattle isn't an issue, it only happens at exactly 1400RPM which is almost never. My front left wheel is fkd, that's whats making the sounds and sending vibrations making it sound like it was coming from the cat. At full turn, it makes an even worse sound so that just confirms it's the wheel. Am heading over there and he will try to fix the problem tomorrow, not sure exactly whats up though

dougie_504
12-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Will be interested to hear what's wrong with the wheel, sounds strange.

charliebrown
12-03-2011, 09:34 PM
Started making sounds about 5 days after i put the wheels on. Then every day after it kept getting worse and worse. Mechanic says it sounds like two things metal are scraping each other during wheel rotation, which explain why the sounds is in intervals and gets faster at higher speeds

DC2-PWR
12-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Atleast your getting near the problem!!

Hopefully you just have to align the wheels

dougie_504
12-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Started making sounds about 5 days after i put the wheels on. Then every day after it kept getting worse and worse. Mechanic says it sounds like two things metal are scraping each other during wheel rotation, which explain why the sounds is in intervals and gets faster at higher speeds

Checked the lug nut tightness, and also check your brake heat shield to make sure it's not contacting anything. 'Rattling' sound doesn't appear to be right for metal scraping on metal...and it's just a wheel lol what could be wrong?

dorikin
12-03-2011, 10:22 PM
I had a couple problems with an exhaust recently. It was a cheap custom made b-pipe that was already on the car. The flanges weren't welded on at the right angle, so the piping was slightly tilted upwards causing it to knock on the heatshield when driving. Another problem with the same exhaust was a collapsed resonator. Took me a while to figure this one out, it sounded like marbles rattling in my exhaust at 2700rpm with and without load.

stevo716
13-03-2011, 12:47 AM
def check that brake heat shield, if that bends a lil and hits rotor makes a terrible noise.

NightKids
13-03-2011, 08:49 PM
So any updates on the situation?

he-tec
13-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Okay so i got under the car holded up by only a scissor jack (almost died!) and banged the cat, and everything else. Nothing was loose, nothing broken inside thats rattling around.

Probably the dumbest thing you could do is work under your car while it is up on a scissor jack. especially any type of banging which will cause movement.

sometimes doing diys or troubleshooting at home can save you a few dollars but id recommend you take it straight to your mechanic next time its not worth risking your own safety.

charliebrown
13-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Okay so there was two problems, hence the sounds coming frm all over. It's... really kinda funny. The pipe behind the muffler was rattling against the chassis so my mechanic just bent the axleback so now it doesn't rattle anymore. Instead of two rubber hangers, it's just on one now. Muffler sits pretty low though and not at the angle i liked, doesnt look as good as before but rattles gone so i'm content.

Second problem was... when i put on my new set of wheels last week, i didn't screw in the lugnuts on one wheel. First 5 days i drove around it was fine, then wheel started to come out, which was causing the sounds. Wheel almost popped out when sound got really bad. (pretty scary shit cos i was taking corners as fast as possible and driving on high speed roads). At first he just checked everything such as brakes, and all the shit behind the wheel. Nothing was off so next we went to take the wheel off and he goes WTF THE NUTS JUST CAME STRAIGHT OFF WHEN I TOUCHED THEM. So yeah... all that hype for nothing. So lucky the wheel did not pop out when i was doing 100ks as woulda fkd my car up and i probs woulda gone flying out the windscreen. nts: double check when putting on wheels -_-

dougie_504
13-03-2011, 10:37 PM
I strongly recommend you invest in a torque wrench - something simple like a Kinchrome one for about $70. All nuts and bolts on your car should be torqued to spec/tightened to Honda's specified pressure. Lug nuts are 100 I believe

charliebrown
13-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Is that the drill thing for the lug nuts? My dads been trying to get one from auctions but no luck. Might just spend 150 and get hydraulic car jack and one of those to make things easier... Only problem is no space to store It.

stevo716
13-03-2011, 10:44 PM
hydrulic car jack and jack stands
torque wrench is a hand tool, that measure how tight u tightening bolts

charliebrown
13-03-2011, 10:51 PM
No need for jack stands, bricks!

Oh and ive never heard of torque wrench before. The thing I was gna get was rattle gun. I used one today to tighten up all the bolts to avoid a similar problem occurring again.

dougie_504
13-03-2011, 10:59 PM

Oh and ive never heard of torque wrench before. The thing I was gna get was rattle gun. I used one today to tighten up all the bolts to avoid a similar problem occurring again.

Torque wrench
http://www.carbonblack.com.au/images/car-parts/Tools-Pliers-&-Wrenches-Kincrome-Micrometer-Torque-Wrench-MTW80F.gif

It's a better option in some ways. If you over-tighten the nuts/bolts (as you're pretty much BOUND TO DO with a rattle gun!) you can damage the threads, which will cause removal problems in future. I strongly advise against using a rattle gun on lug nuts - you could ruin your studs which is a PITA.
I don't mind using a rattle-gun to REMOVE things as it's faster and useful if they're already on too tight, but putting things back on should be done to the specified tightness.

Basic hydraulic jack and two jack-stands will set you back like $100-150 from Super Cheap Auto. It's a good investment.

lemmiwinks
14-03-2011, 02:24 PM
hydrulic car jack and jack stands
torque wrench is a hand tool, that measure how tight u tightening bolts

+1 Get a trolley jack + jack stands to support the car while you're working under it. And don't use bricks as they can just break in half.

I wouldn't recommend using a rattle gun to tighten ANYTHING on a car as they can strip the threads when you over tighten them.

CRXDEL501
15-03-2011, 08:30 AM
Not front bumper, were talking about your exhaust, the resonator. Google it to see where it is.

The way your saying it that it'll give you +100DB more or something, it'll make it max 5/6db louder, sounds good too. also illegal :).

LOL. i like your thinking