PDA

View Full Version : Steering issue, help pls?

FastFwd
11-03-2011, 08:06 PM
i have about a 1/2 turn on the steering wheel of play before it actually starts to grab and turn the car. I think the issue mainly is when i turn right. If i pull hard whilst in a car park or in the driveway it grabs occasionally.

theres something deffinatly wrong as it started and got worse within a 30min drive. The problem could have always been there but i must of just made it a whole lot worst. I recently tuned my car to 300hp at the wheel and i think this could have been caused due to torque steer etc.

Anyone know what i should start looking at? steering rack maybe?

rotary_snail
12-03-2011, 08:04 AM
Steering rack, uni joint in the column, tie rods, tie rod ends.

You need to isolate the problem, jack the front end up and wiggle the steering left to right until you where the slack is.

FastFwd
14-03-2011, 01:00 PM
My whole steering rack came loose so it was moving side to side with the steering and not fastened to the chassis. Because the bolts fell off i found some at Honda north but the issue im having now is when Ive gone to put the new bolts in there was nothing to thread onto. I thought that the suspension brace that the steering rack connects to would have a thread inbuilt that you can can just thread the new bolt onto but it appears it doesn't. Honda also thought that it had an inbuilt thread, they have sent me this parts sheet with the highlighted bolts i was missing and it appears theres some type of collar or brace type thing on the other side of it, heres the parts sheet, pay attention to the red highlighted bolt number 23

http://i.imgur.com/GnW8n.jpg

Ok main issue now is, getting to the other side of the suspension brace to put a nut there is like removing all of my steering and everything. Over 20 bolts need to be removed to drop down the suspension brace to get my arm behind it to put a nut there. There has to be another way? i doubt honda would have made it soo difficult to remove and replace the steering rack if you had an issue with it.

can anyone shed some light on the matter, maybe explain an easier way or confirm that i do need to remove everything to get behind there for 2 nuts.

FastFwd
14-03-2011, 01:27 PM
http://i.imgur.com/foXlS.jpg

So this is it here...Red circle is 1 of the sides to the missing bolt out of the 2 missing.

the yellow arrow is what i mean, you have to get under the whole suspension bracing to put a nut or something there

FastFwd
14-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Sigh!!! found the problem. The welded Nut on the inside of the crossmember has snapped off. Leaving me with a huge pain of an ass job to remove the crossmember and replace it with another one ive already organised from honbits. :(

Something that seemed soo easy all of a sudden seems so hard.

Oz_Striker
14-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Your running this thread all by yourself mate lol glad you figured out the problem, good luck with it anyway :)

FastFwd
14-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Yeah sourced the info through honda, some mates etc and wreckers. Cant believe because the welded threads inside the crossmember fell out i have to remove and replace the whole thing...soo annoyed.

vinnY
14-03-2011, 11:21 PM
at least you can remove and replace

some poor bastards in the US have the rear compensator arm bolts fall out of place and end up having to cut a whole in the chassis to move it back into place