PDA

View Full Version : Two niggling issues with my 2nd hand 2009 Euro Lux Auto

WarrenM
12-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Problem 1 is that it seems to be very sluggish starting up a hill from a stop. I'm used to a lot more guts in first gear from my old Mazda 6 Lux Sport and I'm wondering if that is just how it is, or if I have a transmission problem.

Problem 2 is that my car does not hold its position on my home hill when in reverse - I need to engage the handbrake to reverse out of a parking spot. I have had several automatic cars and none of them have had this problem.

Do these sound like common issues? Should I get them looked at immediately or wait until my next service in a few months.

Thanks in anticipation,
Warren

Fredoops
12-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Problem 1 is that it seems to be very sluggish starting up a hill from a stop. I'm used to a lot more guts in first gear from my old Mazda 6 Lux Sport and I'm wondering if that is just how it is, or if I have a transmission problem.
That my friend is the electronic throttle. it's laggy

Problem 2 is that my car does not hold its position on my home hill when in reverse - I need to engage the handbrake to reverse out of a parking spot. I have had several automatic cars and none of them have had this problem.
That is the weight of the car at play...

CU2 Accord Euro is one hell of a heavy car for a 2.4 ltr engine...
compared to Mazda 6 Automatic
Mazda 6 Limited 1433kg
Mazda 6 Classic 1439kg
Mazda 6 Luxury 1474kg

Accord euro Standard: 1555kg
Accord Euro Lux 1605kg

Thats OVER 100kg difference at any given spec.

It's like having 2 teenagers in the car at all times... go figure

WarrenM
12-03-2011, 11:10 PM
That my friend is the electronic throttle. it's laggy
Do you mean that my electronic throttle needs adjusting or that the Euro's electronic throttle is laggy by nature (or that it is laggy by nature but can be adjusted)?

That is the weight of the car at play...

CU2 Accord Euro is one hell of a heavy car for a 2.4 ltr engine...
compared to Mazda 6 Automatic
Mazda 6 Limited 1433kg
Mazda 6 Classic 1439kg
Mazda 6 Luxury 1474kg

Accord euro Standard: 1555kg
Accord Euro Lux 1605kg

Thats OVER 100kg difference at any given spec.

It's like having 2 teenagers in the car at all times... go figure

That's fair enough, but my wife's ten year old 626, undoubtedly considerably lighter, but against that it has a much less efficient 2 litre engine. I would have thought it would have more difficulty than the Euro, especially with its aircon on.

furythree
12-03-2011, 11:32 PM
weight makes a huge difference
i got a kn air filter. might be a placebo effect but i feel like it breathes easier now. and revs harder.
i know what ur talking about with the hills. but even my mums v6 lexus has trouble up a hill so i think its fine. im not gunna race up a mountain anytime soon, so who cares
on flat ground and downhill, this car is awesome

Fredoops
13-03-2011, 12:14 AM
Do you mean that my electronic throttle needs adjusting or that the Euro's electronic throttle is laggy by nature (or that it is laggy by nature but can be adjusted)?

All euros. You can get an aftermarket electronic throttle control to make it more Nissan tiida like (ie light as a feather)

That's fair enough, but my wife's ten year old 626, undoubtedly considerably lighter, but against that it has a much less efficient 2 litre engine. I would have thought it would have more difficulty than the Euro, especially with its aircon on.
Well you'll be surprised much power you loose with the stricter wmmission standards over the years... Sadly your old 626 is probally lighter than a corolla these days lol

Actually a 626 is 1251kg in the top spec...

That's over 250kg lighter.... That's like A WHOLE CAR LOAD of people... Rofl

buddah51au
13-03-2011, 10:39 AM
I have had no noticeable issues with throttle lag in my CU2 in the 27 months of ownership although I do believe it is noticeable with a manual transmission. I do not believe there is any adjustment with the electronic throttle.

Have you tried using sports mode so you can hold gears longer instead of leaving it in full auto?

As people are saying the Euro is a heavy car & unlike the Mazda 6 the Euro needs revs to get the best out of it >4000RPM. The 6 does perform slightly better in city driving situations, but looses out when u get stuck into it. The Euro is also far better on economy.

tony1234
13-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Weight is the CU2s biggest problem.I think it's about 160+KGs more than the CL9 with pretty much the same engine with a few minor tweaks,8kW more.

WarrenM
14-03-2011, 11:23 AM
weight makes a huge difference
i got a kn air filter. might be a placebo effect but i feel like it breathes easier now. and revs harder.
i know what ur talking about with the hills. but even my mums v6 lexus has trouble up a hill so i think its fine. im not gunna race up a mountain anytime soon, so who cares
on flat ground and downhill, this car is awesome

You're not the only person who has done this to improve performance - I saw a few of them on another thread.

I'm getting a K&N filter tomorrow. Hope it makes a difference.

Cheers

CU2CU2
14-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Weight is the CU2s biggest problem.I think it's about 160+KGs more than the CL9 with pretty much the same engine with a few minor tweaks,8kW more.

Agreed. I jumped from CL9 Lux to CU2 Lux Nav, feel like 2 more adults sitting in the car......

Fredoops
14-03-2011, 10:39 PM
You're not the only person who has done this to improve performance - I saw a few of them on another thread.

I'm getting a K&N filter tomorrow. Hope it makes a difference.

Cheers
Might as well get an icebox intake if you are doing that kind of thing cause filter is not the biggest problem
http://www.heeltoeauto.com/CT-Engineering-Carbon-Ice-Box-Intake-2009-Acura-TSX-330-039-pr-64919.html

Agreed. I jumped from CL9 Lux to CU2 Lux Nav, feel like 2 more adults sitting in the car......
that was my biggest reservation when I was shopping for the CL9 replacement. bloody thing is now bulky, and still lacks low down torque.

WarrenM
14-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Might as well get an icebox intake if you are doing that kind of thing cause filter is not the biggest problem
http://www.heeltoeauto.com/CT-Engineering-Carbon-Ice-Box-Intake-2009-Acura-TSX-330-039-pr-64919.html

Ice Box looks nice, but we are talking $500+ plus installation which is currently well above my budget. It also may cause hassles if a warranty problem occurs in the vicinity of the air intake subsystem. For $135 I get better air flow than standard and no replacement costs at each service, and there is no warranty issue. Even if the performance benefits are marginal, I'll be better off with the K&N filter than without.

10KRPM
15-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Another thing you have to remember is that the gear ratios are different compared to the mazda 6. I think the gear ratios were revised again for the CU2 due to it being heavier and what not.

I have the kn filter as well, bought it more for cost savings as opposed to performance as i still have the stock headers, intake and exhaust. The filter does give a nice surge to acceleration after each time its cleaned.

WarrenM
15-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Another thing you have to remember is that the gear ratios are different compared to the mazda 6. I think the gear ratios were revised again for the CU2 due to it being heavier and what not.

I have the kn filter as well, bought it more for cost savings as opposed to performance as i still have the stock headers, intake and exhaust. The filter does give a nice surge to acceleration after each time its cleaned.

How often do you clean it?

Do you use K&N cleaning and degreasing sprays or something else?

Regards, Warren

10KRPM
15-03-2011, 01:48 PM
well i did run out of the kn cleaning spray at one time so resorted to degreasing spray (cheap cheap option). That worked just as well if not better. I did eventually pick up another bottle of cleaning fluid once supercheap had their usual 20% off sale. I usually only clean it twice a year.

WarrenM
15-03-2011, 01:56 PM
well i did run out of the kn cleaning spray at one time so resorted to degreasing spray (cheap cheap option). That worked just as well if not better. I did eventually pick up another bottle of cleaning fluid once supercheap had their usual 20% off sale. I usually only clean it twice a year.

Thanks - very useful to know