PDA

View Full Version : Sub solution?

mugen_ctr
12-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Hey peeps, my alpine Type-R is dying... its well an over 10yrs old.. brought it 2nd hand...its not pumping hard, the bass thud seems very hollow, an not a solid thud...i have tried altering the settings on h.u, and mono block, an i tried my brothers Pioneer sub, hella better!!!!! so ive come to the conclusion is pretty much useless lol... at that age, is this fixable or just get another sub, and any recommendation for budget of 200? i knw its not alot, but im not buying it for competition, of sub blasting, just need it for quality sound

honda_zivic
12-03-2011, 09:33 PM
dont bother fixing it, just get a new sub. get rockfords or dd.

arverson
13-03-2011, 09:40 AM
where abouts in vic you from?

$200? Crescendo 1.10 from "FrankstonCarAudio". normally a rrp of $250 but theyre having a stock sale atm. otherwise diamond audio 'd1', alpine 'type-s', jl 'w1', focal 'a1', re audio 're', pioneer 'w308', among other entry level subs.

most importantly, what box are you using? fabricating a new one? limited to your current one? if so, whats the volume you have to play with? box type? whats the hole size? if its 10"s, are you willing to widen it to 12" if need be(assuming it still has ample airspace for one of the above 12"ers)?

before you actually spend anything, has your type-r ALWAYS sounded like "its not pumping hard, the bass thud seems very hollow, an not a solid thud"? or did it start sounding like this recently? if so, what exact settings did you change on the h.u & amp? your amp details/specs? specs of your brothers box & sub?

sometimes i wish people included more info so i dont have to ask so many questions..

JohnnyWalked
13-03-2011, 10:53 AM
well if its over 10years old i'd say just get a new one for the update (y)

and it depends on what you want out of the sub really... the brand and the size of the sub makes different bass

imo go around check out some subs see what you like, write down a list and the forum can go from there

everyone has their own taste in sounds :P

mugen_ctr
13-03-2011, 02:17 PM
where abouts in vic you from?

$200? Crescendo 1.10 from "FrankstonCarAudio". normally a rrp of $250 but theyre having a stock sale atm. otherwise diamond audio 'd1', alpine 'type-s', jl 'w1', focal 'a1', re audio 're', pioneer 'w308', among other entry level subs.

most importantly, what box are you using? fabricating a new one? limited to your current one? if so, whats the volume you have to play with? box type? whats the hole size? if its 10"s, are you willing to widen it to 12" if need be(assuming it still has ample airspace for one of the above 12"ers)?

before you actually spend anything, has your type-r ALWAYS sounded like "its not pumping hard, the bass thud seems very hollow, an not a solid thud"? or did it start sounding like this recently? if so, what exact settings did you change on the h.u & amp? your amp details/specs? specs of your brothers box & sub?

sometimes i wish people included more info so i dont have to ask so many questions..

hahahaha, sorry man, im pretty poor when it comes to audio, im jus using a cheap none ported sub box from jb hifi, but even when put in with bigger ported box, sounds pretty much the same we tried, volume i have no idea, its a small box, but again we tried it in a larger box, no difference, an yes, it has always sounded siliar when i got it, but now its worse.... Id much prefer getting a new box bigger ported box

amp: pioneer GM-D8400M mono block

SuperJDM.
13-03-2011, 08:59 PM
iv seen some type r subs on firesport for 250 or so or maybe i was tripping

lemmiwinks
14-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Subs usually aren't worth repairing as the repair costs would exceed the price of a new one. I've got a mate that's selling one of those alpine type r subs in the alpine box (current model sold at jb) for $250. Located in melb, PM me if interested.

tron07
15-03-2011, 04:35 PM
might be nothing wrong with the sub, but problem with the enclosure.

NightKids
15-03-2011, 06:03 PM
My friend is selling a JL Audio W3 for $150, can't get much cheaper than that!

1996_EK_Civic
15-03-2011, 06:17 PM
stay away from Sony, haha. Sony don't even make their Car Audio equipment