PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake light wont go away - Help Please!

m.o.d.aus
15-03-2011, 12:23 AM
I have recently swapped my cluster over for one with a tacho, now ever since the swap, 9 times out of 10, when i release the handbrake, the handbrake light still stays on...? Now I know its got nothing to do with the connection of the handbrake or the pressure button underneath it. As if you life the handbrake on and off you can see the light dim ever so slighly.

Anyone else have a better incite to this then me....?

Cheers.

na-118
15-03-2011, 12:34 AM
check connection to handbrake
check brake fluid,
check brake pads
does car have abs?

m.o.d.aus
15-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Car doesnt have abs, but cheers, ill check those things on my day off and see how it goes.

Cheers.

dougie_504
15-03-2011, 06:09 PM
For my CRX I'm pretty sure I have a wire short-circuit somewhere along the line, so sometimes it doesn't turn off, then it fixes itself and goes back to working etc. Would be a pain to try and find it though...

jdm_b16a
15-03-2011, 06:30 PM
I have recently swapped my cluster over for one with a tacho, now ever since the swap, 9 times out of 10, when i release the handbrake, the handbrake light still stays on...? Now I know its got nothing to do with the connection of the handbrake or the pressure button underneath it. As if you life the handbrake on and off you can see the light dim ever so slighly.

You have a short. Handbrake light is activated by the handbrake mechanism. When you pull up on it you earth the connection and the light comes on. Therefore, somewhere you have an earth, possibly check your wiring on the cluster pins, or look under the dash for an earth that shouldn't be there. Also, check around the fusebox. Does your car have a front driver's seat connection under the seat for the seatbelt warning light. Check it too!

Peter

drgtr
16-03-2011, 09:33 AM
When my brake fluid was low the light was on. Same as the clutch fluid.

Stoogey
16-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Woah...on my way to uni today same thing happened. Freaked me out abit cause i started developing mental images of the brakes failing and me running into the back of a lamborghini or something. Sure enough, i had a quick look at the brake fluid level and it is just at the 'min' line. So a quick trip tomorrow to supercheap auto for me.

eren
25-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Hey Man Maybe Replace The Fuse :D